UNT experience

I really enjoyed the game last night at North Texas. Their fans were enthusiastic and courteous; it is really pleasant to have sportsmanship in the stands as well as on the field. Their stadium is nice and I just enjoyed the whole experience – as I recall, it was like that the last time I went there when we were their first opponent in Apogee Stadium.

I wish we would play them more often and forget about playing Rice entirely.

15 Likes

I appreciated them making sure we had a nice breeze, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

It was a good experience. Their concessions were solid, and the folks working the game were pleasant and helpful.

Winning helps, too.

7 Likes

I concur, they have some great atmosphere going there.

1 Like

They need to improve their parking entrance into the orange lot. 30 minutes before the game there was a long, long line getting into the lot (and off the street). When I got to the lot entrance there were 2 students taking credit or cash (cash was more expensive than credit, which means they don’t trust their takers with cash) he asked, “Have you paid yet?” Really? I should have said yes but paid anyway.

4 Likes

Can you elaborate on the concessions?

I still think our are below average.

2 Likes

You were, obviously, in a totally different area that we were. Every time the team as in the area of the NT band, the band played music very loudly, and continued to do so between plays, up until just prior to the snap of the ball. If I recall, Tulane band did the same. I wonder if we will be too civilized to return the favor when and if they visit TDECU . . . . .that being shared, we were surrounded by greenies and they were, for the most part, very courteous. We were seated in reserve seating area, and people with tickets for specific seats were run off by general seating fans just took over assigned seating . . . . .

2 Likes

Funny you should say that. They have a whole discussion on their board. GMG UH Band Discussion

"However, even more embarrassing to me was the bands. Houston demonstrated what a real band does at football games. Our band is incredibly bad from a football game atmosphere perspective.

Just one example, Houston plays really loudly when we had the ball, right up to a second before the snap in some cases. When Houston has the ball we play yes very politely and stopped WAAAY before they snapped the ball. Like the entire 25 second clock before."

2 Likes

Pros - clean, friendly concessions people, $6 dollar beers, decent food, alot of options such as potatoes, burgers, ice cream, mac, fries, and BBQ options. Corn dogs that were good. Their fans were nice, Takis chips out the door. Their cannon was loud but it made me laugh when people would get scared of it. The breeze, good amount of trees and walking space.

Cons- Their tailgating seemed flat, Their stadium doesnt get loud or retain the sound because its so open. Their band doesnt play during the game? i couldn’t hear them at all especially with the size of their band. The students dont have chants?

3 Likes

Most of the greenies on Facebook were friendly as Hell. I was surprised. I hope they keep winning for a lot of reasons. And when the time comes I hope we treat their fans well. I don’t know why. Maybe because of how well my family was always treated in Stillwater. It stuck with me that it’s really more about self-respect than about being a good host. That, and ADs always keep tabs on that kind of thing. Fan treatment among opponents runs deep among administrators. See Iowa/Iowa St. for an unpleasant example.

3 Likes

Their band played quite a bit, including during the time leading up to the snap, just like ours. If you couldn’t hear them, you must have been sitting up behind our band.

The parking was the only real negative for us, but we got there about 5:30 and were in the stadium before 6. I was in the lot just west of the stadium, and any tailgating would have served a main course of dust, so that wasn’t happening.

I’m a big fan of the ice cream stand they had (Beth Marie’s?) - I could live off that stuff.

1 Like

Same thing happened at OU except it was the stadium DJ doing it. Right up until the UH snap, the music was blaring. The music stopped when OU broke the huddle or approached the line. Seems to happen everywhere. For a while, the NCAA refs made a point to warn the home team if the band was playing after the teams broke the huddle but that does not seem to be a thing now.

Glad people enjoyed their UNT experience. I enjoyed Norman for the most part. Most of my problems were from the Coogs around me at the game more so than the OU fans.

2 Likes

My son and I flew up early for a campus visit then stayed for the game.

The whole campus is walkable within a 20 minute walk and, despite the heat, it was enjoyable and not humid.

The campus design is kind of odd, particularly the dorms next to the football stadium that is nowhere near the academic buildings and are on an island across the freeway.

It’s larger than UH and does have a small town feel. Much better than college station back when it was a small town.

Despite that, I could see visiting every bar and every restaurant within the first semester, and trying every menu item at all of them within the first year.

Tailgating was the bomb. Size wise it’s smaller than UH’s but it’s all concentrated in one open field and has a great atmosphere.

Concessions were quick but partly because there were lots of concession stands and the stadium was not full.

I hope we UNT again. Much better than rice.

2 Likes

This, got off I35 onto the ramp at 6:03 and it then took an hour and 10 minutes to get into the lot (about 150 yards away from the ramp. It was ridiculous. They had three entrances into the parking lot and only 1 open. That 1 that was open only had 1 lane open so they had a policeman out front allowing some people from the left in for awhile, and then some from the right. He would then hold traffic until all of the people he let in would pay and then he would let some more in. Absolute clown show and I ended up finally getting to my seats just as the 1st quarter ended.

Next time, I’ll remember to try and get there earlier, but I was driving up from the Naval Air Station so I wasn’t sure on timeframes.

Other than that, great experience.

The Orange Lot (former Fouts Field) parking situation was indeed a bit of a cluster. We got there with plenty of time to spare, but it really was slow and not well managed.

I noticed that the DCTA runs gameday shuttles from other places in Denton like the A-Train station or the courthouse square. Next time we play UNT I might give that a try.

2 Likes

I always try to be overly friendly to visiting fans and send them away having a good experience. Only time I’ve remotely gotten sideways with a visiting fan was during the Louisville game and a guy said, “I hate playing these little Mickey Mouse teams”. I gave him a look like, weren’t you in conference USA not long ago?

Worst show of sportsmanship I’ve seen was at Smoo when a UH fan turned around and screamed at an older couple for cheering when their team scored. After the game I apologized to them and said they should come to Houston next year.

2 Likes

I loved Denton as a whole, and had I experienced this version of Denton when I made my visit there, I might have honestly wound up at UNT. But the atmosphere at Apogee, specifically? Woof. Seemed like they were constantly piping in all the best Jock Jams of 2010. Their entire identity, as a football program, seemed to boil down to “Joe Greene played here half a century ago.” Outside of that, they were about as generic as it gets.

It honestly makes me sad because Denton is a fun little town, and their fans were polite and enthusiastic. They really deserve better.

2 Likes

This is actually the first time I ever set foot in Denton (drove through on I35 a number of times). I thought it was a great atmosphere and the stadium was nice. Fans were really nice, even the drunk students. You can’t beat $6 for 16oz Shiners or Dos Equis at a stadium. Much better overall than a SMU game.

1 Like

Man, that is standard in most college football games. Our band did the same thing when they had the ball. We don’t do it much at home because of the constant commercials between plays or introductions of a stream of various people.

Patrick, our thoughts were the same. We only waited 15-20 in line to the Orange lot at 5:15 but we were laughing that we could organize the parking entry make much better. They needed two lanes and $ takers for each lane. Stopping the walkers until a huge group got to the crosswalk would have helped too. Often as cars got started into the lot a couple of fans would shut down the whole operation to cross in front of the cars. That third officer could have moved ten feet and controlled the fan crossing allowing a steady flow into the lot.
We were impressed by the NTU fans. One tailgate group started joking with us that their only concern was there were so many Coog fans attending. We would definitely go back there. Go Coogs

2 Likes

When I entered the Orange lot I thought I was going to have to get out of my car & show the young girl how to slide my VISA card.:laughing:

As an old Coog fan of the Yeoman era I always liked the Spirit of Houston Marching Band as I did the other night. The combined bands version of God Bless America still gives me goose bumps.

Tailgating was happening on both sides of I35-E—where Fouts Field was once located & on the Apogee side.
Fouts Field? I hated that stadium from the first time I ever sat in it which was Hayden Fry’s first game to coach in Denton. .

2 Likes