Update on the UH Master Plan, Wow!

Thank you for sharing this. That’s exciting we are going to be part of the TMC project but i would like for them to make that building way bigger than 10 stories and look into the future and not just the now. There’s probably not enough funds and I get that for a project that big but it doesn’t hurt to ask and look for new donors. Especially ones in the Medical side.

As far as that tech building that one was due for a new one. My cousin graduated from that one and a couple of other friends and I’ve been there a bunch of times and that college needs a new building badly.

Thank you again for sharing.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how that Hobby building is contemplated as being on the site of the former law library.

Query: what is to be done with the rest of the former Law Center buildings?

1 Like

I can’t wait for the Cullen st to be done along with other entrance markers. The Cullen st deal had to done and will be great when visitors arrive or new students checking out the campus. They are making UH a more student friendly campus vs all the cars flying by.

2 Likes

Watching this video, looks like UH will be in the building across from the parking garage on parcel J. Also from the video and various renderings, the UT research campus is still very much a thing…

3 Likes

What a bunch of a holes

2 Likes

Thank you for posting all this. The UT System Research park is across OST in the video and
map. This is different from the property UT purchased outside of loop 610 for the data center
thing 2 years ago that caused such a ruckus. And they still have not sold that land as they were
suppose to. But I doubt anybody at the state level cares about them selling it anymore.

3 Likes

That’s right, my mistake. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but in any case I’m glad UH is getting in on this project. It will be exciting to see how the UHCOM grows and impacts the university.

1 Like

Can’t believe I never visited this part of the board. I’m a 2010 COT grad and can offer a little insight.

I meet with the Deans office from time to time and the plan sadly is to basically have COT in Sugar Land. She tells me that the Engineering focus programs may stay on campus but its been a little bit since we’ve met.

The buildings on campus were costing a fortune to run. I’m sad to see the Annex go, but the Idea lab should be really interesting.

5 Likes

Bald Eagle nesting where the New MS is going to be on campus is awesome and a very good omen?

1 Like

About as good of an omen you can get in construction.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHouston/status/1551945443797372928

1 Like

They’re merging CoT into Cullen coming Spring 23

1 Like

I actually ended up meeting with the college deans office (Cullen now) and that timeline is what is being proposed, but all former COT (the name is changing) programs will be in Sugar Land.

1 Like

What will the new name be?

Is there anything you can share on it in more details?

While we are on the topic, is the former College of Technology going to be its own department or set of departments within the Engineering school?

How exactly will it be integrated?

Yup. I can talk about that.

They aren’t completely sure of the name, but likely the Sugar Land campus will be rebranded Cullen College of Engineering School of Technology. The push to do this was straight from DRK and it’s purpose was to line us out more the rest of the top 50. Top 50 schools in US News is the goal. She didn’t mention AAU, but my guess would be that’s next? That will give us approximately 9,000 College of Engineering students, rather than 4,000 that we previously had.

To answer Law’s question…it will be a separate department within Cullen. They recognize that some COT focus’ don’t have a place at Cullen. Currently the plan is to integrate the entire COT into Cullen, and then re-evaluate each degree plan. Degrees like CIS, Consumer Sciences and the like will likely be moved to other schools like CLASS.

The mutual benefit for each school…obviously COT grads will be associated with the College of Engineering, and Cullen will get access to staff with areas of focus such as Data Sciences which they didn’t have previously.

I’m disappointed the all COT classes will be moved to Sugar Land, but the University is aware of our concerns regarding “campus atmosphere” and they’re planning to structure the class schedule so that you wouldn’t be running back and forth. Something like 2 days a week you’d be in Sugar Land and the others you’d be at Main. Obviously, as you moved through the degree plan you’d spend more time in Sugar Land.

They’ll be setting up an alumni tour of the Sugar Land campus at some point now that COVID is relaxed a bit. I was assured it was state of the art, which is a big jump for the labs I worked in (2010 grad). From a technological standpoint it’s probably the gem of the school. My contact attended University of St. Thomas, and she said that the Sugar Land campus had a “private school feel”, but felt like as the other major focuses arrived it would feel more like Main.

5 Likes

That’s worthwhile information. Thanks!

Anyone know what is happening with the old UHLC building?

Supposed to be home to a new College for a degree in Public Affairs is what I read.

I hope they keep the “asbestos free” signs on the doors to the sub-basement.