USF schedules 2 for 1 with Notre Dame

But those P5s can have that down cycle and less bargaining power. remember UCLA didn’t fill up Robertson in the 90s

Clemson in my opinion you could sneak into TDECU - they are more regional but a draw in the SE.

It would be easy, but I would not expect them to do it that way.

First, they will have to split the good seats between both teams, they almost always have a home nd visitor side split. SO half the seats not available.

Second, they save the good seats for resale from the stadium. That is how they make money for the big payouts. Also many NFL teams offer purchase options to their own season ticket holders.

They are buying the game from us and paying a lot for it. I’m sure they’d be willing to give us comparable seats but we would have to pay for them. That would eat into any profit we make.

In the end, UH buys tickets to the game according the agreement and distribute to season ticket holders. My guess is we are getting what the school is willing to pay for.

2 Likes

To me, the solution is give the season ticket holders the option to not purchase that game at NRG, and then the season ticket holder can go buy a better seat from NRG.

I know this ain’t gonna happen, but seems to me that UH should consider season ticket holders first and foremost.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, it would be different from a game like the Texas Kickoff, it would be a home game and our tickets would be similar to our TDECU seats. Remember when we played Oregon in NRG (then Reliant)? Our seats were similar to the Rob.

2 Likes

Under Helton, we would have not had a problem doing this…was it 1997 that we had at least (4 or 5 what is known now as P5 teams) on the Schedule??

Yes…murderer’s row! We can’t buy a schedule like this!

I hope you are correct.

As for the 2 for 1 debate; I could see playing 2 for 1 and still having the same number of home games. Just schedule a series with someone else where we get the 2 and they get the 3.

I would jump at the chance of play LSU at their house, one at our house and one at NRG or the Superdome. Or one at NRG and one at LSU. Same for Bama, ND, Georgia, Ohio State, or Clemson.

Someone like a UT or OU or ATM or LSU or Alabama is NEVER going to play an out-of-conference game against UH at TDECU as long as they can earn $10+ million for each one of their home games.

As a non P-5, about the best we could ever expect from such a regional blue blood FB program is a 2 for 1 with two being on the road and one being over at NRG. Then UH would have to schedule some one & dones with lesser programs in order to achieve 6 home games each year. It just doesn’t add up.

4 Likes

Clemson at TDECU? Sorry, man. But that’s not going to happen.

2 Likes

A lot of elite P5 schools don’t schedule 2-for-1s. Economics lead elite P5 schools to want 7 home games each season.

Examples of how a typical schedule is constructed:

Alabama
4 home / 4 away conference games
1 neutral site P5 game (usually one of the kickoff games)
3 home “money” games

Texas A&M
Odd years
4 home / 3 away / 1 neutral site conference games
1 P5 away game (a home/home series)
3 home “money” games

Even years
3 home / 4 away / 1 neutral site conference games
1 P5 home game (a home/home series)
3 home “money” games

There’s no way a modern UH team plays a 1-and-done “money” game, so UH can’t really crack into that system. Given the realities of today’s money-driven college football environment, UH is doing the best it can realistically do by scheduling home-and-home series with mid-tier P5 schools like Washington State, Arizona, and Texas Tech.

UH should keep doing what it’s doing to try to position itself as an attractive expansion candidate. Toward that goal, I like how UH is looking west toward the Pac-12 with future home-and-home series with Utah and Colorado. The Big 12 will always be a tease for UH. The Big 12 doesn’t need UH to lay claim to the Houston TV market.

Problem is, with no team in the “Houston Area” they are slowly losing that grip. ATM has brought the SEC in this market. Should UH finally get in a P5 conference, we will pull a good share to whatever conference we get admitted to.

1 Like

I think that with all of the aTm, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, and other SEC fans and alumni in the Houston area, if the B12 has any advantage in the area, it isn’t much and is dwindling. I wouldn’t doubt the SEC has the advantage.

3 Likes