Vitamin D supplements may help hold off Diabetes

Daily Higher-Dose Vitamin D Supplementation May Help Stave Off Type 2 Diabetes In People With Prediabetes

MedPage Today Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (2/6, Monaco) reports, “Daily higher-dose vitamin D supplementation may help stave off diabetes in an at-risk population, researchers” concluded. In a three-study meta-analysis totaling 4,190 individuals, researchers found that “vitamin D reduced the risk for type 2 diabetes by 15% in people with prediabetes…in a model adjusted for age, gender, body mass index…race, and HbA1c,” translating “to a 3.3%…absolute risk reduction over the course of three years,” according to findings Share to FacebookShare to Twitter published online in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Healio Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (2/6, Bascom) reports, “In terms of safety, there were no significant differences in mortality, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, and kidney stones between the vitamin D and placebo groups.” However, the authors of a related editorial Share to FacebookShare to Twitter observed, “There are important differences between supplementation and therapy,” and “very high-dose vitamin D therapy might prevent type 2 diabetes in some patients but may also cause harm.”

3 Likes

And then there may be a link between becoming diabetic after having covid. If that’s
true and holds, may be good time to invest in companies that supply insulin.

Covid-19 increased the odds of a new diabetes diagnosis by an average of about 58%.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/health/covid-diabetes-risk-study/index.html

This is such a vague study in my opinion and leaves many questions unanswered.

It’s almost saying as if you can live an unhealthy lifestyle as long as you’re vaccinated. Obviously not true, buts it’s written so vaguely that it almost expresses it that way

There are a few sentences in that article about the study that don’t make sense to me, but I attribute that to the reporter writing the story, but not the study, The study itself seems to be solid - credible institution, large data sets, and covers the potential limits/blind spots of the study. There are earlier study’s that indicated there may be some linkage to covid and later development of diabetes as well.

Pays to be vaccinated imho, and most legitimate medical professionals.