Walk on tryouts?

Any word on if there will be walk on tryouts this year for current students?

2 Likes

Welcome Alisha.

2 Likes

Hi Chris, Thank you for the welcome. I have a son waiting on tryouts but we haven’t heard anything. I was just checking to see if you guys knew anything.

2 Likes

Alisha I sent a PM to some of the players Mom’s that are on our site. They are awesome contributors.

I asked Derek and he’s not too familiar with that part of the program, but he said it is usually held in March and he thinks you have to be already enrolled as a UH student.

From the UH Athletics Website:

For information regarding our walk-on program, please contact Casey Smithson | Director of Player Personnel at football@central.uh.edu.

6 Likes

I was looking for info like that and could only find last year’s dates. Glad you posted that. I didn’t help much.

Thank you all. He is a current student staying on campus. We did send an email out to football@central.uh.edu. We will keep patiently waiting. Can’t wait!!

11 Likes

All the best to your son Alisha. Believing is winning!!!

4 Likes

Watch out, there is a 45 year old dude from the forum who wants to walk on so he can get an NIL deal. I looked everywhere for the post :laughing:

6 Likes

Alisha:
Did your son play in HS? Which school?
What position?
What are his measurables?
If I am being too nosey please ignore and excuse me. I am just an old coog who has been interested in our football program for over 60 years.

2 Likes

No problem. His name is Sherman Smith graduated 05/01. He is 5-8, 205 lbs, runs a 4.45 in the 40, can squat 500 lbs over 3 times, and benches about 400 lbs. He is running back at heart but would likely be listed as an athlete. He played at Katy High School 9-11th. His sophomore year he ran behind Deondrick Glass and had 112 carries, 907 yards and 13 touchdown. His Junior year they went with a bigger back and he had 45 carries, 324 yard, and 4 touchdown. His senior year he went to Tompkins High School (in Katy). He played slot receiver, running back, and fullback. He had 97 carries, 644 yards, and 10 rushing touch downs. He had 13 receptions, 150 yards, and 2 touch downs and received 2nd Team All State Full Back.

19 Likes

Sounds like the very type of local walk-on talent we need.

Good luck to him!

3 Likes

Sherman’s stats are impressive!

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Impressive stats. All-State is awesome!

3 Likes

Many times with those measurables, a running back can be very elusive and difficult to tackle. I expect to eventually see him on the field.

3 Likes

You see, this is why i hate the “star” system, cause behind every recruit is a heart and a soul. Thank you for sharing your son’s experience, best!

8 Likes

Thank you guys. He made contact with a few players at the indoor facility and has heard their possibly may not be walk on tryouts. We will keep watching Twitter for announcements. Praying he get the opportunity to try out but either so glad to be here.

9 Likes

A sixth round draft pick is the all time best QB
An undrafted QB is in his 10th NFL season
The sky is the limit Alisha. Your son has to keep looking forward, get good grades, study our offense has much as he can, set daily and weekly goals while having fun and most importantly never be satisfied. There is always somebody working out trying to outwork you. It is in his control.

4 Likes

No joke Chris…there was an undersized RB who was drafted I think in the 3rd round…pretty much same measurables coming out of HS…you may have heard of him…

Emmitt Smith…

Heart is everything. Just ask Grant Stuard. Just ask Jake Herslow…

Best of luck to this young man, and I am glad he chose the Cougars !

11 Likes