Watched the 66-15 Beat down

It never gets old.

1 Like

Never been able to find it.

I wish I could find it; I was there for some of it, but it was a late game and I was young so I didn’t get to watch it all. One of my favorite in-person sports memories.

https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/7/14/throwback-thursday-from-1988-houston-vs-texas

- Ware torched Texas for 304 yards, and five touchdown passes.

- Afterward Ware to the Austin American Statesman, “This was a real personal game to me. I felt like I had to make them pay for not giving me a chance.” Make’em pay Andre!

- Texas tried to man up and blitz the Coogs, but were exposed.

- By the way, after the game Ware heard someone in the stands calling his name, he looked over to see his childhood idol Little. It was the first time the two met. Nice Hallmark moment.

- You could make a reasonably air-tight argument that Houston running back Chuck Weatherspoon was the most efficient back in SWC history. His ruthless efficiency was on full display in Austin this day with 218 yards on eleven carries. Eleven.

- Houston set records for Single game touchdown passes by a team (Ware, David Dacus 7), and touchdown catches in a game (Jason Phillips 4). Plus Phillips established season records for receptions (177) and touchdown catches (12) with his performance against the Longhorns.

1 Like

I would not have guessed Dacus had a 7 TD game. Good caretaker QB as we transitioned to the R&S, but i didnt remember him having gaudy numbers

They had 7 total together. Ware had 5 of them.

As I recall, the last TD pass (from Dacus) was very late in the game and was a screen play deep in ut territory on a 4th down.

ut fans claimed it was running up the score
kicking a FG would have been running up the score.

Two things to note

1. There were no ut fans in the stadium late in the game.

2. There is no such thing as running up the score on ut !!!

2 Likes

Thanks. Was definitely reading that wrong

“Those are not ‘Boos’ you are hearing. Those are chants of ‘Spoon’ from the Houston partisans across the way.”

1 Like

I love it when teams that continuously ran up the score on the weak sisters complain about having the score ran up on them. When TCU, BU, and SMU were dogs, UT would run up the score and not look back.

There were many games during the Veer and R&S where we did run up the score and I was cheering. Of course in the veer, we just did it running through the line on triple options with non-starters, which is OK with me. If someone is able to run it up on us, then more power to them; we just need to defnd better.

I watched the replay and if only some of those drops were completed we would have really put it to them. I loved it in '88 and I loved it last night.

3 Likes

I don’t think that particular beat down was the reason why UT dumped UH. Our own worthless administration at the time was asleep at the wheel. Baylor beat them 50-7 in Austin, they got trounced a couple of times by Tech. Yet those 2 got taken to the Big 12. Why didn’t A&M push for us? Why didn’t the networks?

UT has 16-7-2 record against the Coogs, and won their last 7 straight games. I doubt losses to UH was a matter of huge concern to them

Looking ahead no matter what happens to the Big 12 in 2025, even if UT and OU remain committed to the conference and extend the GoR by another 15 years, uncertainty will still prevail.

Gone are the days of conferences remaining static for 8 decades. UT and OU will always want to keep their options open. With UH in the Big 12, politically, it will be next to impossible for UT to ever leave the Big 12.

Just exactly who said that that game was the reason that UH isn’t in the big12-2 ??

The reasons you gave are the reasons
the teams you mention were due to politics
end of story!!!

Enough with the strawman arguements !

1 Like

Are you sure, I thought it was 209 on 10 carries. Anders had that last carry. 218 on 11 equals 19.8 ypc; as opposed to the 20.9 for the other. Regardless, pretty mind boggling.

At least two people have mentioned this win in other threads as reasons UT is scared of UH and how their fear will prevent our entry to the big 12.

Well then
if UH is ever invited to the big-12-2, we should decline because ut beat us 50-0 one year also !!!

Seldom right and wrong again.

When the Big 12 was formed, UT’s record against Houston was 11-7-2 for a 60% winning percentage. Check their current winning % against other rivals (20+ games):

Rice 77%
Oklahoma St 75%
Missouri 75%
Texas Tech 75%
Baylor 74%
Arkansas 72%
TCU 71%
SMU 67%
A&M 67%
Houston 60% (as of Feb. 1994 Big 12 formation)
Oklahoma 57%

We were nearly as big a thorn in their side as OU.

Longhorns HATED Houston for going to 3 Cotton Bowls in our first four years. They HATED Houston for the beatdowns circa 1987-1989. They HATED losing to Houston more than just about anybody.

5 Likes

48-0 with Mack Brown in Austin. Mack Brown ran the score up on us
Why not run it up on them when you get a chance to

To add to your comments Cougar Red. Twice UT set home game attendance records playing against us.

On another note, we are the only team in UT history where the UT fanbase stormed the field and tore down the goal posts.

2 Likes

Yeah, the 50-0 game was back in CBY’s days. Both were in Austin
of course the 30-0 and 66-15 were also in Austin !!!

Yes
Helton and Dimel really did UH proud against the horns !!!

3 Likes

I would also point out that one of those “ties” was actually a UH victory in 1968
still burns my ass to have that game stolen by crooked officials !!!

In my mind, our record at the time of big12 was actually 11-8-1
actually a 57.5% winning percentage.

I’m sticking with that !!!

3 Likes

The 59 yard run by Spoon at the 2:03.06 mark is just so awesome. I feel like the only thing that slowed him down and enabled him to be tackled was his pads that were made for a 6’8” offensive lineman.

3 Likes