We are again relevant in basketball

The world is back on its axis. Our great university has risen back to the glory days we all enjoyed decades ago. Sad i don’t see the return in football.

7 Likes

I noticed, with the amount of traffic this forum is getting lately :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think, with UCFs 2 season straight win streak, that those who needed proof that a G5 would get shut out of the playoff forever. BUT…in basketball, UCONN and Vilanova has win the whole thing so it CAN happen in basketball!

1 Like

Yes it can happen in all G5 sports except for football.

2 Likes

Well not quite Phi Slama Jama but a winning team and Elite Eight for sure.

We still have a ways to go, but with CKS we are on the right track.

We are a truly a skilled big man away.

1 Like

Set the wayback machine to 2002. Can you believe how far we have come in 16 years on all fronts? Astounding!!!

Leadership!!! She dagged a University to levels that this city needed but the city didn’t know it needed.

Project out another 16 years at this trajectory.

4 Likes

2002 ? How about 1994 !

1 Like

We are one of five unbeaten teams in the country. Kansas lost to Arizona State

4 Likes

Time to go all in on basketball. If you don’t have basketball season tickets, get them,

RIP football program for the forseeable future.

2 Likes

I posted something earlier about saving money on football salaries and making Sampson a priority to retain. Better to keep basketball on the big stage. Unfortunately, the football dollars are so large and many think there is realignment in the near future so UH cannot afford to have football slip back into the abyss (if it hasn’t already)

2 Likes

We had an 8 win year in football, that isn’t an abyss, it is above average. We did it with a practice squad DL. We were 7-1 u til injuries and then added a backup QB to the mix too.
If people can be patient “like they were with Sampson” (hahaha) football will see the same thing happen.
Now let’s beat Coppen State.

7 Likes

Can we leave our dumpster fire football program off the basketball site? Had enough of that BS.

9 Likes

We were nationally relevant in basketball last year too.

Truly we were above average in basketball Sampson’s 2nd and 3rd year when we went to the NIT.

Get the football talk to the football board, please and thank you.

6 Likes

Thank u, don’t let those trolls ruin a good thing we have going on this forum.

1 Like

Really? You of all people?

This I agree with…coach has us on the right track. We really haven’t played all that well thus far but this team is full of grit and energy just like its coach.
Personally, my goal is for us to make the tournament again this year and win a game or two. Showing up at the Big Dance does wonders for recruiting.
Guys like Jarreau, Hinton, Alley et all are still in the development stage. I have seen folks be critical of Alley but he hustles his rear off and I think will one day be a captain on this team…and oh yeah, don’t forget he is only a freshman.
No doubt we have done well in the win column, but frankly we have not beaten anyone to gain national attention. Our attention comes from being unbeaten.
But several years ago we would have lost to BYU and probably OSU on the road, but I think this team has a different attitude.
I think our conference will be improved this year and winning on the road will be tough. I think we have a shot at winning the title but we shall see. I just want this team to get hot when it counts like last year…

7 Likes

We have some great coaching going on. The passing at the beginning of our sets is exceptional, as is our defensive movement with and away from the ball. Finally, our rebounding, boxing out and positioning for the rebounds looks like Duke. The shooting is still a problem. We need about a twenty percent improvement.

2 Likes

Agree we haven’t played that well. I think most of that is because we shoot so many 3’s. It’s so low percentage you don’t have to have too many letdowns before you fall behind.

But that defense and attacking the paint on missed shot! That’s the way Keady and Knight taught it. And the methodical switching and pressuring on defense. That right there is how Nolan Richardson did it.

Good stuff.