What do we do now?

What to do?

1. Fire D’Onofrio tomorrow?

2. Fire D’Onofrio after the season?

3. Demote D’Onofrio to Linebackers coach so we can keep his recruits?

4. Keep D’Onofrio and challk it up to bad recruiting by Herman.

5. Fire Applewhite and make Kendall Briles our head ciach tomorrow

6. Fire Applewhite and make K. Briles head coach at end of season.

7. Fire Applewhite and make Orlando our head coach with Briles as OC. (Can we do this tomorrow?) i like this

We could have hired Orlando as HC.
I like Major, appreciate his professionalism but he’s lost as many games aa he has won. A .500 ball coach.

1 Like

Let’s wait to see how things play out. It’s one loss, on the road, at a Big12 school.

I thought before the season we’d win at least 9 and go into the Memphis game with a shot at the division…that hasn’t changed for me.

10 Likes

We need Uncle Tillman to drop a dime on Orlando and Briles to get this program back onTrack

1 Like

I see Major needing 10 wins (including Bowl) to keep his job and without Davis, as bad this defense is, just don’t see us beating USF, Navy, Memphis on the road.

Win out and root for tech to have a respectable season. Very doable. Most on here thought we were gonna lose to either tech or Arizona (or both) before season start. We’re 1-1 against P5. Let’s move on!!!

12 Likes

Just one game on the road. I am disappointed in the defense as well but its still one game.

How would you feel if you were a UCLA, Nebraska, or Florida State fan.

If we improve we have a chance to win the AAC and go to the NY6 bowl.

9 Likes

Maybe I am still suffering from the loss hangover but I can’t imagine feeling any worse no matter who we lost to.
My hopes of winning the conference have been dashed. Hope I’m wrong but I am thinking 6-5 this season at best.

1 Like

Donofrio sucks and will be replaced and this was a bad loss but not a conference loss and to a B12 team. When Tulsa runs up 600 yards passing on us, get out the pitch forks

5 Likes

Or Arkansas.

How is the defense regressing?? Seems we get worse every game Donofrio coaches. Get rid of him now!!!

We will still win 8 games with this offense but i was counting on AP ranking this year and NY6 shot. I am so pissed at Applewhite for pissing the year away with his fucked up hiring

5 Likes

No. I understand those might be your standards, but very unlikely those are realistic for the school.

1 Like

First thing is go to the TSU game and support the team.

12 Likes

Unless things fall completely apart, I don’t think any changes should be made until end of season. As of now, D’onfio is on borrowed time. UH has to move on from him if this ineptness continues.

1 Like

You can throw Arkansas in that bunch too!

I think some folks are being a little overly dramatic about this loss. It no doubt sucked, especially because we gave up so many points, but I don’t think anyone in our conference other than UCF has anywhere near as good of an offense as Tech. CMD’s defense actually works well against the run, so I’m not particularly concerned about Navy. I am concerned about Memphis and USF since we just gave them a pretty good blueprint for how to beat us through the air. But to think this team, with this offense should lose to anyone else in this conference just because the defense isn’t great is just sky-is-falling talk. Let’s not act like Tech and Tulsa are equal in any form or fashion. I’m not worried about our ability to simply outscore everyone else.

10 Likes

I think the concern about the defense is founded. UH looked like an FCS school on that side of the ball. Losing that game is totally understandable. How they lost maybe shouldn’t be.

4 Likes

Our problem is the one we always have had - if we don’t run the table, the national press, local press, and our fans decide to ignore us. This is the result of playing in a second-tier conference in a town with a bunch of pro teams. We are fairly successful, but it ain’t enough in Houston to draw crowds and eyeballs. Having to be perfect is a burden on coaches, but they probably know that before they sign on the dotted line.

So, recruit the best players we can find, even if a bit undersized or a bit slower. Just the facts of life for most G5 programs. Simply being in a P5 conference would push us up the hill a bunch, but for now we just need to persevere.

If we do dump CMD, who runs the D? Would it be any better? Mostly, it would be a statement we can’t except the results we are getting. I doubt any move is made until after the season.

1 Like

Everybody is blasting the secondary after that performance as they should be, but I am also concerned by how the front seven are being employed. The front seven should be generating some form of pass rush. Against the run, they are great, but against the pass…

3 Likes

They we’re dumping the ball quick when needed. Most of those throws were around the 5-10 yard range. If we make tackles at the point of the catch that offense has to work a lot harder.

Playing that soft shell with the corners back just plays into that. No time for the 3-4 man rush to get any sort of real penetration.

We didn’t send pressure. Corners played back. Tackling was pathetic. It’s on the whole defense and a lot of it deserves to be on Coach D unfortunately.

7 Likes

We’re on the same page. Good post.