What does the AAC do next?

Source?

One of the reporters was on sports radio talking about it. Need to find out who

1 Like

Don’t trust radio guys. They don’t have real sources.

1 Like

I’m watching Colorado State and if the AAC expands, thats the school they should take in my opinion. If the Big 12 adds more later, I hope it’s CSU and Memphis.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1433833506807816198
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1433837658669830144

UH is USFs Homecoming Game this year?

if Boise and the two service academies say no, I would take New Mexico, Colorado St, Georgia St, Coastal Carolina, UAB, UTSA,Rice and go to 16 teams.

Then second tier Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, App St.

Ragin Cajuns should be a shoe in. Good program, good facilities.

1 Like

UTSA, NTU, FAU, FIU, Coastal, App St.

“All four of those schools are from C-USA, which could be another conference casualty of expansion, but we are once again in a survival of the fittest mode.”
I like all but The Mid-Atlantic choice.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/a-jersey-guy-aac-needs-more-southern-exposure/ar-AAOczs0?ocid=BingNewsSearch
" Buffalo has to be on the list of the top four G5 schools to fill that gap IF the AAC does not look to just add four schools out west."
“Here’s the top two expansion candidates from each conference in my opinion:”

Not really expansion. USF fuming about the situation they are in.

Huh. That is not the direction I would have guessed them to go.

FAU? I get the Florida thing, but they can’t pull in 20,000 fans even when they’re winning. Even Conference USA didn’t add them until they lost ECU and Tulane.

If they want to go mid-Atlantic, JMU is a better choice than ODU IMO. Yeah, they have to make the jump to FBS but look at the success of Appalachian State. It can be done.

UAB is the most likely candidate, IMO. And UTSA has been in my top four or five.

Aresco…

1 Like

AAC
UAB
Southern Miss
Marshall
Rice

Those plus UTSA are pretty much the entirety of my list.

I’d only add two, though, for now.

Also, given USF’s treatment of UCF, it’ll be interesting to see if they keep their head down while FAU or FIU get the nod. I think they were buttheads when it came to UCF but their argument against FAU/FIU would be stronger.

Since the AAC’s profile is to have universities in large TV markets, I would think about Georgia State University in Atlanta which is R1 and 54,000 students.

They seem like a mirror image of UH except they have not been successful in athletics.

UTSA - San Antonio
Georgia State U - Atlanta
Rice - Houston
UAB - Birmingham

2 Likes

I think UTSA would be a good add.

1 Like

Add Sam Houston. AAC would have a legit national champion.

@Jesse22

3 Likes

This was Conference USA’s plan the last go-around and it backfired with the conference having slipped behind Sun Belt in terms of competitiveness. I think they can take one non-competitive market team, but not two. So UTSA, Rice, or Georgia State, but only one of them. UAB gets in on the merits.

This is a good argument for 2+2… give UTSA or Georgia State (whichever you don’t invite) time to get their act together.

1 Like

I still think the AAC should only add 2 schools. I posted earlier Liberty and App State, and I still like those. But maybe add UAB and UTSA to the list and pick two from those four.

Rice is a terrible idea IMO. One area I thought was a pretty big weak spot for the American was having three, tiny private schools in metro areas with little to no regional support. Adding a 4th tiny private school in a large metro area is making a bad situation even worse.

Liberty is private, too but it’s not tiny, it’s not in a major city and it has invested in Athletics to be competitive. They could be the poor man’s Baylor or BYU.

JMU is in Western Virginia and ODU is in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach TV market… I think JMU would get a lot of support on Saturdays being in a small college town, but wouldn’t be great for adding TV viewership.