What does the AAC do next?

Noting that I’m not counting chickens until it happens, if I were a Memphis fan I’d probably just want to do whatever preserves hoops the most. If that’s a BE invite for hoops and indy football that’s what I would want. Beyond that, I’d probably want to keep the AAC at 8 football (or maybe add one FB school, ideally with decent hoops) and try to pick up Dayton and VCU for basketball.

1 Like

I hope the Big 12 talk is true, and we get in, too. However, I have HATED the Big XII for years, and don’t trust them as far as I can throw them. Until our admittance is signed on the dotted line, I will not trust them. And even then, I will still HATE Baylor and Tech for what they helped put us through over the past 26 years. The only reason that we get in this time is to save their sorry asses. I wish them only ill going forward.

11 Likes

I like this Larry, fella! :grin:

2 Likes

But at least Tech has been willing to schedule the Coogs. Recently all others have been rude, and they all deserve a 3 touchdown beat down if we join the party.

6 Likes

I don’t have any love for Tech or Baylor as institutions (though look forward to conference rivalries with them), but they aren’t the ones who put us down this path. They mainly just grabbed a lifeboat for themselves without worrying about us. Texas was the biggest reason we got left behind. We also had lots of self-induced problems.

I know they weren’t the main culprits, but they were a party to the crime. They didn’t shoot anybody, but they stood guard and drove the getaway car. And thus, I will continue hating them 'til death do us part.

1 Like

They need to invite non-football program to firm up that side of things. Hopefully Memphis and Temple have the leverage to make that happen.

They still have Memphis, Temple, and Wichita State. That’s a foundation but they need to build on it.

I’m putting this on a Tibetan prayer rug and hanging it in my front yard.

In the time we spent in the hinterlands programs have gone from no teams (UCF, USF) to playing in a conference with us. We’ve had to play our way out of conferences with Marshall, UAB, ECU, and Tulane. And we’ve had the humility of having to look at SMU and Memphis as football rivalries.

I want to demolish the B12 year in and year out.

4 Likes

Just to be on the same page: if UH goes to the Big XII, we are to laugh now at anyone that uses the marketing of “P6”???

1 Like

It’s a ghost town

SMU can handle the 10MM.

I am okay with alternating SMU and Rice on the schedule. SMU already plays TCU every year.

I’ve had my fill of SMU. Let it go for a decade then maybe start playing them again. Can’t miss’em until they haven’t been around a while.

4 Likes

Lol

I submit that “P5” was just a marketing campaign used to capitalize on reorganization.

I do despise the term and would like to see it relegated to the scrap heap of Rodent terminology.
Its abusive and stupid.

Where would Navy go or why would they go independent and pay $10M to exit the AAC? It doesn’t make since to me.

The AAC will have some attractive options I think…LIBERTY, APP STATE, LOUISIANA, UAB? Now Marshall might be an option too but if TV hates the West Virginia market when WVU dominates it, will they suddenly love it when Marshall doesn’t even get any of it?

Memphis should stay put and rule the American. The Big12 may want to expand again later.

We could see Memphis in a few years in the B16.

Start at 9:40 mark.

Navy’s contract is weird and they may not have to pay the same penalty because they semi-have their own TV deal and they have a TV contract minimum (they can’t make less in the AAC than they made on their own).

Whatever the intricacies, though, the main reason is that they haven’t excelled in the AAC. Army seems to be doing better as an independent, and that’s when things in the conference were better.

So I could see it going either way.

I think it’s going to come down to the renegotiated ESPN contract. AAC TV money is going to take a hit.

UAB has been in contact with the AAC.