What if John Jenkins had followed Jim Kelly to the Bills?

The Bills had four appearances in the Super Bowl for zero wins.
What if…

3 Likes

Interesting find. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

It is weird. I have studied the Run and Shoot for ears and I never came across this article. I love reading these.

1 Like

To me the big “what if” is what if we hadn’t fired John and hired Helton?

3 Likes

We should have never fired Mr. John Jenkins. This probably was one of the most idiotic decision we ever made. Remember we were on probation for a number of years already. What he did with David was simply one of the best coaching job I have ever seen college or pros.

5 Likes

In my opinion the firing of John Jenkins in retrospect was one the pivotal moments in our athletic history. If Jenkins had stayed we were not that far way from being pretty good again. If we had been good in the early to mid 90s the realignment thing would have played out a whole lot differently.

We probably wouldn’t have ended up in the Big 12 because Texas hated us but maybe there wouldn’t have been a Big 12. Maybe Texas would have taken A&M to the Pac or The Big. We could have been in the expanded Big 8 with Tech.

We would have ended up somewhere.

1 Like

Agree, a lot of people were never held accountable for it.
I can only imagine if he had a full consecutive recruiting classes.
I was in school in these times and many in our administration wanted to end our football program. Who was really behind this push?

1 Like

Moles.

I would have been MORE upset with that 1993 playoff team that came back from a 35 - 3 lead to beat my Oilers. Norwood would have never been axed in their 20 -19 loss over the NY Giants in the Superbowl.

At that time the administration wanted to disperse various parts of UH to other parts of the city like the CUNY system and end football as well. That word reached other schools and the governor.

We were this close from losing our football program.

2 Likes

If it was the worst then Hiring Kim Helton and keeping him for as long as we did the second biggest.

2 Likes

You can blame John Carr for ALL of that…

1 Like

the Giants played ball control and the Bills never adjusted their defense…

1 Like

They probably would have missed the playoffs.

Jenkins is the most overrated coach in UH history.

Bill Carr, but you really have to blame it on the UH administration ( or lack there of) that hired Carr.

3 Likes

How is that?

He was 18-15 (12-11 in conference) in what was close to the the worst era of the SWC. That iteration of the SWC, especially in his last year, post-Arkansas, was substantially weaker than today’s AAC. He was 1-6 vs ranked teams. None of those were the mark of a good coach, and any of them would have gotten him fired today.

Sanctions aren’t an excuse; nearly the entire conference had them at that point. In his last year, he finished behind and lost to post-Death Penalty SMU.

We’ve had at least 3 better coaches since then. He’s Applewhite, but flashier.

1 Like

I really think this is a fair assessment of Jenkins as a HC he wasn’t great. We remember him better due to his successors, where we would’ve killed for 18-15. We also remember Jenkins the OC a lot more than the HC. Which at the time he was an elite coordinator. But he just proved he was a much better member of a great staff than the leader of the organization. Which that’s huge chunks of the coaching world.

2 Likes

Jenkins struck fear in opponents, he just needed a good def coordinator. I remember sitting in history class reading we were number 10 in the nation with Miami up next. Miami was a beast back then so most teams were getting killed by them.Basically we played an NFL team so kingler had no chance.

1 Like