What to do with the Dome? Maybe this is the answer

The Dome was brought up in another area.
Then I thought about the Spruce Goose.

Countless movies, videos were shot there and is still very active. Hardly anyone knows what it is.
Could the Dome be turned into a Houston version of the Spruce Goose?
Houston is much more business friendly than Long Beach/So-Cal.

3 Likes

The issue is the asbestos. Huge issue but the filming/staging potential is massive.

It’s been condemned for 20 years and the voters don’t want to pay to do anything with it. It’s long past time to knock it down.

1 Like

I recall reading it is costing the city a million a month in costs for the condemned 8th wonder of the world.

Can we transport it to campus and assemble it over TDECU?

4 Likes

Your number is off by a couple of decimal places, according to the head of the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation, which maintains NRG Park for the County:

Walsh said the county spends about $150,000 per year in utility and insurance costs for the Astrodome as a part of the larger NRG Park complex…

That’s 0.005% of Harris County’s $2.74 billion dollar annual budget. I think that counts as a drop in the bucket. (As an aside, Harris County has lowered its tax rate for five consecutive years now.)

2 Likes

Indoor snow skiing or blow it up and be done with it.

It’s either Ski Houston or Gladiator games. Let’s not overthink this.

1 Like

I think it should be used as a venue for the Houston Firefighters Union to fight the Mayor’s office every three years.

2 Likes

Come on guys, we all know which sport needs this most, pickle ball. Worlds largest indoor pickle ball courts.

1 Like