Whatever happened to Chug a Lug Park?

ASK PERMISSION?!?!? Ain’t no “permission” required for Chug A Lug Park.

It’s a simple concept: see the beer, drink the beer. :wink:

8 Likes

ECU knows how to tailgate…

Any drinking now is to drown sorrows and forget.

4 Likes

Well, just ran across this thread while coming to see if there was any good baseball news. As for CALP, there really isn’t much the school can do to bring it back.

Three things ya need, First, someone like Pete and Ali (and others like James and many more I’m forgetting) who are willing and invested to spend 12+ hours on a Saturday for everyone else’s benefit. This includes setting up 4 hours before the game and staying 4 hours after.

Second. Fans that are interested in CALP. It started in 2000, but was seeded with the 99 season. Part of this was those teams were an absolute blast to follow. I can still name the lineup/roster of each team. And TBH, our support had a bit to do with football and basketball being really meh Those 99/2000 teams gave diehard UH fans something to root for, when there really wasn’t much else.

Third would be the right parents/players/coaches/admin. One of the great things about CALP was the interaction with the players and their families. They were a huge part of what made CALP. For those not familiar, CALP served as the teams meal on Saturday night. They’d all come out and eat along with many of their parents. It was a family and fans feast. Which goes back to how much work went into it, we are talking about feeding a lot of people. But it was awesome.

As for why it died. 1 people got burned out. 2 Rayner (not Todd) didn’t like it, I can’t remember the exact reason why, But UH baseball killed it. Which is classic UH. And also football got better so folks flocked to that and baseball started struggling.

Again, anyone trying to reboot it. Good luck, it’s not just a button you press and say, CALP is back. That ship has sailed until you find the 2020s version of the 2000s folks who are willing to spend a crap ton of time and money on the weekends AND baseball wants to support it. Baseball seemed much happier once CALP was gone along with the fans.

CALP was probably the most fun I had following UH. 2000 to 2008 baseball was really awesome. Sucks it is gone and I can’t imagine it’s coming back.

6 Likes

Good luck.

2 Likes