Who will be the Greatest Coog Football legend ever in 5 years

True. But Case built TDECU.

Coach Bill Yeoman; period. There will never be another like him!

5 Likes

That’s what I posted early on in this thread. The list starts with Coach.

2 Likes

He will have had 4 years in the pros five years from now. That’s enough time to make his mark.

Maybe I didn’t understand the question. Are talking just based on UH career or lifetime?

No greg ward? He actualy got to and won a ny6, not to mention the greatest bowl comeback ever during his 1st year at qb

2 Likes

Two coaches need to be on that list - Yeoman at 1 and Herman somewhere in the bottom half of the top 20.

Three players need to be on the top of that list - Heisman winner Ware, Lombardi winner Whitley, and Outland winner Oliver.

Right below them is Case.

Riley Odoms should be on that list. Unfortunately, no one today knows who he was.

Robert Newhouse should be on the list as well.

The last two coaches can be removed.

6 Likes

Yep we won some pretty major bowls before we won the peach bowl. Those SWC titles and Cotton bowls were pretty big.

4 Likes

As far as being one of the greatest coogs, Keemun was a measly 2* recruit with one scholarship offer who was a leader at UH for 6 years, broke like a zillion NCAA records, led the coogs to two bowl victories (ending a 28 year period of UH not winning a bowl game), overcame a career ending injury (we still owe the NCAA bigitme for that 6th year), ignited a fan base, and was THE player on the team. People say Keemun isn’t very talented, has a weak arm, makes poor decisions, and continues to bailed out by his teammates.

Oliver was a 5* recruit, played so far 2 years, hasn’t been on a team who had won a bowl, isn’t THE player on the team, but may be the most athletic player in school history.

Feel free to add, I know I’m not being 100 % objective and could have said a ton more about Keenum :wink:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget we’re talking about greatest players, not greatest teams. I love Greg Ward, but there is just no way you can say Case is behind Greg in terms of individual accomplishments, unless what you’re saying is Greg won that NY6 all by himself. If the teams Case played on had defenses that were even half as good as the 2015 squad, Case-led teams would have easily surpassed a single NY6 win. When Case played, we had to score 40 to even be competitive in games.

3 Likes

honorable mention? Spoon

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rush-yds-per-att-player-career.html

6 Likes

Case and Ward are tough to compare. IMHO Case was the better throwing QB, obviously, but Ward was a better overall football player.

Case threw for an amazing career 69.4% completion percentage, +20K offensive yards, 155TDs. Those stats are incredible
and no one will likely break his career yards or TD records. Case’s senior year was a thing of beauty
48TDs to 5 Int’s, +5600 yards & staggering 174 QB rating.

But
when you look Ward’s stats you’ll see he threw for a career 67.5%
right up there with Case. He can’t touch Keenum in passing yards or total TD but he played a lot less and threw it a lot less. For their careers Case threw the ball more than twice the amount Ward did. Meanwhile, Ward ran the ball a lot more

Ward was basically a QB/RB. In his best year at the helm, 2015, he had +1100 yards rushing and 21 rushing TDs on top of his 2800 yards passing and 17 passing TD. Ward is tried for #1 at UH in career rushing TD’s. That’s incredible as well. Add in the conference championship and major bowl win
Ward could be sliver above.

That’s my two cents
but I can understand someone disagreeing with me. They’re totally different styles of QB
and it’s reasonable for someone to put one over the other.

Heck, what if there wasn’t the giant HC job hunt distraction? UH coulda beat SMiss and gone to the Sugar bowl as an undefeated conference champ and I believe with all my being they woulda won that game. Had that happen I think there would be no argument with Case coming out on top
but it didn’t. Then again, how much should that one game count against him in a discussion like this?

2 Likes

Ward was/is a fantastic football player, and a great QB. Top 3 at UH. However, the defense was the star of 2015. That D under Orlando was relentless. Ward did what he needed to do, keep the ball moving and put points on the board, but Ward didn’t have to “win” us games. Ward didn’t even finish the Peach Bowl because of injury.

This isn’t even a competition. It’s Case Keenum at #1. Keenum single-handedly would put that team on his back and pull a victory out of nowhere.

5 Likes

Lets see what Ed Oliver does this coming season.

1 Like

Another thing to look at
2 years after the 2011 team how many of those players were in the NFL (Keenum, Hayden, Steward) compared to 2 years after the 2015 team how many of those players were in the NFL (Ward, Mbu, Bowser, Farrow, Jackson, Wilson, another Wilson, Matthews, Malveaux, Robers, MacDonald)

2 Likes

I don’t know how anyone can argue that Ward didn’t put the team on his back as well
he was the QB and the teams season leading rusher! He literally carried the team all season long. Only loss
when he was hurt vs UConn.

Running the ball made the drives last longer and allowed the UH defense to be on the field less. Wards play helped the defense more than Case’s in that respect. 2015’s team ranked 36 in time of possession(31:20/game on offense)
way down at 114 (26:33/game).

Interestingly, the D stats in both players best year (2015 and 2011) are surprising similar in areas. Both giving up about 5300 yards and 55% completion percentages. 2015 forced 35 TO’s to 31 in 2011. 2015 was better vs the run but worse vs the pass.

IMHO, we would not think of the UH 2015 defense the same way had we been running a 2011 style offense.

2 Likes

Case has almost every qb record tho

1 Like

I dont know about this. We didn’t beat anyone that season and ended up losing to Souther miss. The only ranked team we beat was Penn State in the middle of the Paterno scandal. With Ward, we beat 3 ranked teams and FSU. Without Ward we got 8-4 at best as we couldnt even beat UConn without him. I love Keenum, if it wasnt for Keenum I wouldnt be a fan today, but there is no metric of substance where Keenum comes out ahead. Passing records are nice but I am sure Keenum himself would trade those in for the conference championship.

This statement is where you completely invalidated your argument. Keenum literally owns every QB metric of substance.

4 Likes