Who will be the Greatest Coog Football legend ever in 5 years

CK had to put a lot of points on the board…That is how we won as Sumlin didn’t believe in Defense.

1 Like

Come on. Andre Ware won the Heisman Trophy.

What distraction ?? You obviously did not see Berman interview Sumlin last night. He asked him that question, Sumlin said there was no distractions that week.

Berman proved he was a pro as he was able to keep a blank look on his face !!

The positive that I have about Sumlin leaving that I cannot say about Briles and Herman, is that at least Sumlin left the entire coaching staff in place for the bowl game !!

2 Likes

umm no. Passing records, yards thrown arent substance. Its the hardware.

Totally agree. I assume we are talk about between Case and Greg. If overall I have to go with Yeoman for obvious reasons.

But between the two of them, I completely agree it’s not even close. Keenum single-handedly won so many games for us I think people forget how many times he bailed everyone out. Just look at 2011 when we were losing to Louisiana Tech. I could go on and on and on, but bottom line is Keenum revived the program and we are where we are at today because of him period.

1 Like

I still cannot believe Newhouse is not on the list. This is a very young board except for a few old farts like me. I’m beginning to think have of this board was not even born … party on!

6 Likes

Why do we have to wait until his senior year? Why not this season?

We probably need a 2 year run to get into the playoffs.

1 Like

I was born in 1971 and I remember Newhouse as a Cowboy.

I was at UH with Newhouse. His thighs were so big they would rub together when he walked. If he wore polyester, the fabric would have melted. Basically I’m in my 4th year of college when you were born.

I’m surprised ee69 did not bring up Gipson. What a running back. He beat UT, but the refrees would not allow it.

2 Likes

I remember thinking when I saw Newhouse in the dorm that his thighs were as big as my waist (then, lol).

To me, Gipson was the best RB I ever saw at UH…and I saw Newhouse who was also great. What people forget was that Gipson also played on a lot of the special teams and was a devastating tackler !!

2 Likes

Kevin Kolb should be on that list. He was instrumental in getting us on the map and our first conference championship in a decade. He was also the highest drafted qb we’ve had in a while which gave our school a great amount of publicity.

1 Like

Interesting that Weatherspoon, Aldridge, Newhouse and Gipson are all above earl Campbell on that list. Yes, i know that Cow College may have played a tougher schedule than Spoon and Aldridge faced, but not tougher than Newhouse and certainly not tougher than Gipson.

Newhouse’s thighs measured 44 inches according to Wikipedia. For comparison sake the great Earl Campbell’s measured 36 inches.

Yep. We had a very realistic chance in 2016 by beating OU and UL but blew it in conference play of all things. IMHO, it shows the system is rigged even more when a 5th place AAC team can beat the eventual B12 champ and 2nd best ACC team (that barely lost to ACC champ)…yet everyone at ESPN and the Invitational Committee thinks the AAC champ isn’t good enough to be among the top teams in the country.

2 Likes

I meant no disrespect to Greg Ward, Warren McVea, many other great Coog players. Certainly a flawed list! Greg and Warren belong along with others. Greg had great season in 2015 but not so much in 2016 despite a great opening performance vs OU with all those back shoulder throws. Had Greg not been injured we likely may have overcome more of the adversity in 2016.

Case had 3 seasons throwing for over 5k yards and 40+ Touchdowns, all time leading NCAA passer, all time leading touchdowns. Need I say more?

Both Greg and Case are all heart. Case benefited from 5 years of time on the field while Greg’s time was cut short by the O’korn experiment. If I had Greg and Case on my all time Cougar team I don’t know who I would start.

1 Like

For me, between Greg and Case I would go Case without hesitation. Greg is special and that is no slight to Greg, but Case to me was so clutch for us where I felt like we always had a chance to win.

I can think of so many times we were down big and Case brought us back. I can think of several times there was a minute and change left and Case would drive down for the game winning drive. Greg had his moments too but I ALWAYS felt like we were going to win or had a chance to win when Case played.

3 Likes

Shawn,

That’s like asking a parent which of his kids he loves more. We are Coogs, they are legendary Coogs.

2 Likes

Keenum, the all time NCAA leader in completions, touchdowns, yardage, 5,000 yard seasons and more, is less accomplished than Greg Ward?