Why league basketball tournaments exist? Isn't the league Championship enough?

I wonder !! My guess is that since it is announced as a sell out, that each school is responsible for buying x thousand of tickets.

So ,do the schools really make that much money.

Would be interested to see a breakdown.

Tickets forced to buy + travel cost for team compared to how much money is returned.

And for their food as well.

Many moons ago, I was a member of the HGA. Worked early AMs in the hospitality room. One reporter (donā€™t remember his name) would come in early every day and eat Grandy Cinnamon Rolls like they were gum drops. Then he would write very negative articles about the HGA and the Houston Open tournament. Might have been Fran someone, but I donā€™t remember much from 35 ish years ago.

None of you complained about it until it was your team playing short handed, playing 3 games in 3 days. Its part of the sport. Deal with it and move on.

Also it gives teams who didnā€™t figure it out until late a second chance to dance. We loved conference tourneys in 2010 when we stole a bid didnā€™t we?

1 Like

Deal with it and move on? Thatā€™s your opinion. The football conference finals are the same conceptā€¦make money.
What matters is to be healthy for March Madness letā€™s all hope we will.

1 Like

There was a Fran Blineberry ā€œbagā€.

1 Like

The conference tourneys are way more meaningful for the smaller leagues than it is for power conference teams who are considered locks, overall they can stick around imo.

Iā€™m just more frustrated that we always seem to be coming in them short-handed and picking up some freak injury which further dampens our tourney outlook lately lol.

1 Like

Yeah, but there will come a time when we need that conference tourney to get into the Dance. People in here are acting like we have some kind of guaranteed tourney spot locked up forever, so the tournaments should go away. :laughing:

3 Likes

Finally someone that understands. We can say the conference tourneys are pointless now because weā€™re the big dog right now. Nobody stays on top forever in sports. There will come a day when we can improve seeding or maybe get in with a good tournament showing.

Look at this year. Iowa state isnā€™t a 2 seed unless they win the tourney. Heck the aggies donā€™t even get in if they donā€™t beat Kentucky in their tourney.

So yes, move on. Itā€™s not just my opinion itā€™s also exactly what KS said in his press conference.

BSā€¦. While I agree about small conferences somewhat. Teams have had all year to prove themselves.

1 Like

Duh.

I thought you said you were a business majorā€¦ :grin::call_me_hand:

Tournaments are about the Benjamins. Tournaments are about TV $.

Gives losing teams an incentive to continue to practice hard and try to win games. Generates extra revenue for the leagues. Overall itā€™s a good thing for the sport.

Ineed they did. The regular season is an entire body of work. You catch fire in a tournament? This is like saying the regular season means some butā€¦
Some history:

SWC?