Why not have the best schools in the P5?

OK, just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the clarification.

A relegation system would be awesome for CFB

1 Like

What have we done since the SWC to prove that we deserve to be P5? 1 or 2 elite seasons?

We had our shot when the XII added TCU and while other factors were involved, TCU showed themselves as an elite G5 (using todays terms) in the years leading up to it. We did not.

If we had kicked ass like TCU did and maintained a coach (Patterson) I think the roles are reversed.

2 Likes

Schools in the P5 are not paid simply because they are the winningest. P5 is about the paycheck, not quality of school team. So that would end up being the best the TV can pay for, not best on the field. TV just hypes those teams more because that is what they are paying for.

Plus any plan that just uproots and rearranges the schools would lose the college aspect (don’t ignore the tradition aspect, that is more a part of college football than people like to give it credit for), and then I think many of the fans stop watching. I know I would. I don’t want an NFL lite.

Yeah & you have missed the 70’s there was a five year period of time according to CBS where the Coogs had the best record in all of football. Lindsey Nelson quoted it in UofH vs Neb. Game. So if you are going to go back to the 90’s for a bad spell, then I will go to the 70’s for a tremendous spell!

TCU’s biggest asset was them being a private school that won’t raise any political flags if the other schools in the conference decide to leave.

1 Like

How did that work out for UT and A&M with Baylor being a private school and not raising any political flags?

If you’re referring to the realignment in 2010-2012, Baylor’s threats of a lawsuit were a stall tactic. Without an alum sitting in the governor’s mansion, Baylor has zero clout in trying to stop other schools from leaving the Big 12.

1 Like

I’m sure how much Ann Richards played into getting Baylor into the Big12. I’ve heard lots of theories from both sides of it.

That said, for the fun of it, let’s say she’s the reason. Would we be in the Big 12 if Clayton Williams doesn’t make a very inappropriate joke (or a series of other gaffes but that joke seemed to be the straw) in the 1990 gubernatorial election?

Not that an Aggie would push for us. Just seems another state school was more in the interest of the state.

2 Likes

I really don’t think winning huge has that much to do with being in a p5. Being competitive for sure and other factors…if it was all about winning Boise State would’ve been in the PAC 12 long ago.

2 Likes

I was referring to when UT and A&M wanted to leave the SWC. Baylor had several people in political positions that tried to stop them from leaving the SWC.

Thus TCU being let in because they are private, has little to do with political clout to prevent the public schools from leaving…

Well let’s see… UT runs off Nebraska, Colorado, a$m and Missouri. Then invites West Virginia and TCU out of desperation. Del Conte is the wimpering AD @ TCU. He is now the AD at ut.

Coincidence…I think not.

1 Like

Same here, I have heard different stories about the involvement of Ann Richards. How3ever, she was not the only Baylor alum in power, I believe there were a couple others in the state govt at the time as well. Don’t remember which ones, but some stories I have read give them more of the emphasis behind it. Baylor has a law school and that leads to politicians. What can you do…

Various perspectives on this “running off”. Some of the issues were Nebraska and A&M wanting a bigger cut of the unequal revenue distribution, not a more balanced one. Longhorn network did not help, but others had a chance to join in.

“Del Conte is the wimpering AD” is a seriously misinformed comment. Makes me question your background knowledge.

How many ADs do you know that can rebuilt a stadium from ground up with somewhere around $400 million in donations for both phases without any debt involved. Not to mention without his last minute meetings with UT to personally discuss the values, there is a fair chance TCU is not in the Big 12. As stories go, he basically sat in Austin until he could be seen, and then sat for a night of drinks to discuss the merits while changing a decades old perception of TCU from UT powers.

Not a man to take lightly. He is very much a salesman fit for an AD job.

1 Like

The B1G is pretty much a consensus Top Three football conference.

The BIG is a much better conference than the XII.

We are kind of average on average, but have it in us to be great at times.