Willie

His inability to see through Travis Bush is one of the reasons I don’t think he would ever sustained success. He promoted him in year 1, demoted in year 2, then promoted him again in year 3.

The second promotion will always be mind boggling to me. Same thing with promoting Jamie Bryant.

3 Likes

I can’t remember specifically, but wasn’t the second promotion an emergency deal? Didn’t we have a guy that came in and quit? Regardless, it was a mess and yes, agree 100% regarding Bush.

Yes,
I don’t think he would ever embarrass our University with his rhetoric or behavior .
Go Coogs !

That was the first promotion. Nesbitt was fired after the TXST debacle (first of several for Levine) and Bush was promoted. I don’t have any issue with that promotion other than it was necessary because Nesbitt was such an awful hire.

The second promotion was Levine’s choice after Meach took the TCU job. Bush was promoted before the bowl game which indicates there wasn’t much of a search if any.

We should hire him.

1 Like

Willie is a Masterful study of his opposition. His teams play (I hate to use a worn out phrase) Complimentary Football. He game plans maximizing what he’s got; rather than making players play his schemes. His Offenses change from year to year using the talents he has on the roster. His Defenses “Swarm”. His Special Teams (he used to call them Special Forces back in the day) are, in fact… Special. All I’m saying is, if Coog Fans expect 5-6 wins, I would bet he gets 7. I think I agree that the Conference Championship is 2-3 years out. He has more overall talent already on this roster than he had at Tulane (Michael Pratt not withstanding), and he beat Some good teams. K-State, USC, etc… and took Oklahoma and Ole Miss to the wire into the 4th quarter. What we’ll witness will be almost unexplainable, except to say he pays attention to all the little details. He’ll find ways to win games he’s not supposed to win.

2 Likes

WF applied to replace Vermin after his two years at Sam and got turned down. He’s the one I’ve wanted all along.

3 Likes

Yes, but we would have missed out on Apple Boy !!!

I keep seeing this get repeated over and over. He hired an OC. Does that OC have a specific philosophy? Is he willing and able to change year over year? Or does it make sense to recruit players that fit your system and culture?

The ability to adapt and creativity are his most valuable characteristics, in my humble opinion.

I’ll never forget the end of those two Tulane games :persevere::confounded::persevere::confounded: but I’d like to though. That was some coaching.

Willie Fritz == Football Coach

5 Likes