Worst 1st Half Defense in UH History?

No worries, few bothered to watch

1 Like

No you don’t! We beat Tulsa 100-6 and I think several band members played in the second half.
In this game we scored 63 points and still lost.

Records were set last night. You will hear about them for a long time.

One thing SMU coach showed he wanted that game more exemplified by the fake punt. Wasn’t for that play and the 2 TO’s that was the difference in the game. That was a game you had to play flawless to win, we didn’t, Smoo did.

1 Like

SMU could have scored another 21

My first impression in defense was I felt like we were not blitzing but realize they were able to make quick passes.

I saw us chasing the long pass receivers with our best on their fast guys leaving our short coverage to cover tight ends and shallow fast revivers. Blitzes are more dangerous of course, under those circumstances/

What they did… and they had the personnel to do it was to spread the field wid… more importantly in this contest however was they spread us long… ALL the way down the field.

That meant a more porous run defense.

We were outmanned and out coached… or is outcoached one word?

Less blitzes meant less sacks, so much for the Avenue.

I cannot say I know the solution other than to TRY some risky defense pressures that would have been made obvious with tight coverage on the wideouts at the line.

I DID notice that at the initial reads, their pass defense had corners close to the line and as the snap approached they would quickly run back, giving more cushion to our wideouts to cover deep.

So at first look to Tune and Belk, we were most often covered for the short game yet that was just the look they gave. By the time Tune looks up figuring to see open receivers, they were covered and our short receivers had run their quick routes and were, I guess in a more “help the QB out” get open chaos for Tune to step through.

Maybe we need better plans post route moves so Tune knows where to expect them to go… same developing by this time deep as well.

All that said, I am NOT a football expert, just an ADD analytical multi variables troubleshooter.

I do expect the game is more complicated and do not know how much of that sort of thing is accounted for by coaches and players. MAYBE SMU watched film and knew what our post route habits were.

All in all, I give SMU credit in being prepared and making few mistakes.

We made a few mistakes and had a couple of bad breaks, different people will have their opinions as to how they see any given play.

I call the game as being the team with the least consequential mistakes, and the most breaks won.

As far as our looking like we only had 9 players on the field, I credit their coaching, planning, and execution.

Our talented personnel were not enough to overcome them.

A different and more successful team we may beat 9 out of 10 times but their offense beat our defense, our few bad breaks, and our foul-ups.

SMU played beyond their capabilities, imo. It was like they had a clean, well executed game that beat our good but not great game.

The announcers gave Tune credit as a mis read and a tipped ball. Maybe that was right but their coverage knew where to be.

It was truly bad but the attack also looked different from all the rest of our games, imo.

We need a bigger stable of very fast receivers and defensive secondary.

Maybe Big 12 recruiting will provide that.

1 Like

SMU ran 83 plays on offense yesterday. In comparison our defense was on average on the field for 61 plays last season.

1 Like

Plus SMU was 10-12 on third down plays and 2-2 on 4th down!

2 Likes

Agree. It really looked as if we simply didn’t have the ability to cover their receivers, one of whom could be a first-round draft pick, just as they couldn’t cover ours.

1 Like

I view it differently.

Two interceptions deep in UH territory led to SMU scores.

We were on SMU’s 9 yard line when the third interception was made in the end zone.

What it amounted to was a 21 point swing.

Eliminate the interceptions and we most likely win by 7.

1 Like

It might be interesting to know what plays worked and did not. Obviously KNOW how to handle us on those!

Historically Tune throws more picks when you run him out there demanding he score a TD every possession. The guy threw for 520 yards. That fact alone is a compelling reason to blame all 60 minutes of this embarrassment on the defense.

I hope people realize Tune feels he needs to make riskier passes and quicker in the series when he knows his defense can’t stop a running toilet. The guy is going up against their defense, the clock, and our defense. Too many opponents.

4 Likes

QB1 personally accounted for 638 yds offense.

Not much more could reasonably be expected of him.

7 Likes

Should have got 639 yds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

It’s why Dana wanted to play balanced football so the defense isn’t out there 80 plays a game & that Tune doesn’t have to get in shootouts. The problem with Dana’s approach to ball control TOP football is that our run game is terrible & we are behind the chains consistently.

Please let Belk go to the NFL ? Or wherever the threat said he would flee to. !!

He ain’t it !!

1 Like

Well, the other problem with ball control is his defense gives up 40+ yards a play through the air sometimes. Is there really a chance for ball control when you’re down 14 in the first quarter and there are no signs of letting up?

2 Likes

We can agree that our DBs & DL have looked a lot worse. Dana will have to recruit the portal & get more talented high schoolers