#12 Houston vs Western Kentucky 2/25 6PM CST on ESPN2 (W 81-57)

Joe Young would be interesting with this team :slight_smile:

Lol I was thinking about Michael

Thanks for the clarification - my mushy brain couldnā€™t make the jump to MY.

And yes, he could have been awesome in this system - actually any of the psj players not named Benny or Rob. The God- given talent those two squandered makes me want to cry.

At least Rob cashed in as a first round draft choice. But yes he squandered most of his God given talentā€¦

Shame no mention of 2,000 + scorer Tay Hollingsworth Mr. Free-throw himself. Yes Iā€™m a wku fanā€¦ Hi! This game will be close, Iā€™ll admit that. Slower pace would benifit us but weā€™ve also played well in an uptempo type game. If wku hits at least 7 3s (7-20) and limit turnoversā€¦ Sry guys I then see yet another upset like Alabama at Alabama. I do seriously like yalls team. Like yall are scary good. Iā€™ll call it WKU 76 coogs 74. Iā€™m out

7 Likes

Welcome Timothy! Donā€™t be a stranger!

1 Like

Good on the best team in Kentucky to travel down to Houston - welcome. What does the Hilltopper community assign as the reason a 4 loss team with a road win over the best team in the SEC is not ranked?

1 Like

May see some zone but defending him iso is not the issue. We are going to trap the post as that is the scheme we like to run anyway. Key will be to not allow him to catch the ball deep and trap the post. If he has to shoot over the top of our D and pass it from outside the paint that is very advantageous for our D.

1 Like

When I watch other teams play on tv, I keep waiting for them to trap the post. End up yelling at them to monster.

I wonder if mr bassey has ever met the :japanese_ogre:. This game could be Greshams time to shine.

welcome, i wasnt taking a jab at hollinsworthā€¦but im not sure how many houston games youve watched or how we play defenseā€¦but hollingsworth is 165lbs, we are a very physical team ā€¦ houston is #1 in fg defense and #1 is 3pt defense in the country ā€¦ i think he only becomes an issue for us if we cant handle basseyā€¦ similar to our ecu game. ecu also has a dominant post scorerā€¦ we were afraid of him going off, so we double/tripled him every play, way more than we regularly do, and pretty much left everyone else open for 3, and it came back to bite us ā€¦i dont mean this as a jab but if you remove bassey from the equation on a 1 on 1 basis i think we can defend all your guards/forwardsā€¦5 of our top 6 guards are elite defensively, 3 of our top 4 are 6ā€™5,

to me this entire game comes down to our game plan vs bassey and how effective it isā€¦i see 3 roadsā€¦ 1) we try to do what we did vs ecu, double/triple bassey and hope we can run it better the second time around (and/or wku misses a lot of open 3s)ā€¦ 2) we accept that bassey is going to get 20+, and worry about shutting down everyone else.accept his 20 isnt going to win the gameā€¦3) we try zone, which we rarely do, which allows to double bassey and putting some contest on the 3sā€¦
we could also trying to get him in foul trouble

3 Likes

All of the games we have lost, it felt like the other team went off at the 3 point line. ECU and Tulsa were hitting some crazy 3ā€™s from their non scorers.

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s just too many weapons for the Coogs that could go off at a momentā€™s notice (see Sasser yesterday)ā€¦how does WKU try to contain all of those possibilities? If Sasserā€™s shot continues to fall, you just have to pick your poison between Marcus, Grimes and Jarreau on who is going to beat you on any given play. Add in an effective Fabian, a three-point threat and offensive rebounding monster in Gorhamā€¦and weā€™re looking at a crazy difficult matchup for any coach to gameplan against.

Thanks sir. Respect and yes Iā€™ve watched 3 games fully and a few more 10 min highlights off of youtube. Exactly reason why I called the score. Ecu does have a legit big man yes but heā€™s not Bassey, also just about every team we play our guards are smaller ie west Virginia, (had them 15 down with 4 mins to go till refs took over) #facts. Memphis, Alabama, Rhode Island (Marshall). Yes yall have elite Def and offense. Can we guard yall? Ask the teams above, Yall foul a lot we hit a ton of free throws. If wku has a great night Iā€™m sorry man I see it as the Alabama game. I love yalls team even have yall in my final four. I think u should be labeled a 2 seed already. I love the athleticism and how long yalls guards are. Reminds me of Josh Anderson on our team (man is top 10 athletic ball player in ncaa and probably owns more ESPN top 10 plays than anyone playing rn) please know I respect yall more than anyone weā€™ve played on our schedule. Iā€™m a wku fanatic and I respect yalls crazy as well. I just love this match up, seems wku plays up to or down to their opponents most of the time, if that makes sense. Respect
Wku 76 coogs 74

Reason I think wku isnā€™t ranked is uncc loss (ugh)

2 Likes

Timothy thanks for your excellent comments.

We rarely lose at home so advantage Cougars.

I expect this to be a close game but Cougars pull away for a 7 to 10 point win.

2 Likes

Based on my highly scientific short-term trend analysisā€¦we should win by 81 pointsā€¦

11 Likes

Who is this Mills guy ?

He would not play much. Like Mills he only wanted to play one end of the floor.

1 Like

putting 76 on houston would be the second most anyone has put on us all year ā€¦ only 1 teams has even touched 70ā€¦
the only team that scored on us all year was ecu, and that was because we purposefully left a bunch of statistically terrible shooters wide open (to play help on their post scorer), and they had the 3pt shooting night of their lives and we kept hoping itd cool off but it never did
21 games and only one has score over 70ā€¦

memphis and rhode island have terrible offense btw especially when those games were played (memphis switched offensive systems mid season, which improved them) and neither can shoot
being honest anderson is the only guard you i think can respectful defend any of our top guards without bassey post helpā€¦and anderson isnt some lockdown monster

on offense and defense, i think we have a crazy edge in positions 1 through 3, wku has a crazy edge on offense and defense on the 5ā€¦its a push on offense with the 4, we have a big edge at the 4 on defense

either way weā€™ll see how it plays out

1 Like

Going back to 2018, weā€™ve faced Bol Bol, Naz Reid, Pj Washington, Isaiah Stewart, and Precious Achiuwa. Where does this Bassey kid rate among those? And how concerned should we really be given that we handled all of those guys pretty well?

Similar to Isaiah Stewart but a little taller

1 Like