12 team playoff game changer AAC

Besides improved $money our conference also gets a recruiting boost.

Look at all the Texas high school kids who go to out-of-state Big 12 schools.

Choosing UH or SMU will give them a better chance of being part of the 12 team field than would going to the bottom 7 schools in The Big 12.

3 Likes

I think it is going to help our scheduling. One loss doesn’t kill you anymore.

I’m not putting the cart before the horse… When are they supposed to make a decision on this proposed format?

“The CFP Management Committee will discuss the matter at its regularly-scheduled meeting June 17-18. From there, a formal recommendation is expected to be made to the CFP Board of Managers. Based on the events of Thursday, that should be a rubber stamp.

We’ve been told an expanded bracket won’t hit until the 2023 season at the earliest.”

1 Like

Lol.

You people are buying into the fantastical idea that the grifter class is going to split their money and opportunity with you.

My odds:

Congress give themselves a pay cut:

1billion to 1

The grifters split the money and opportunity:

1 trillion to 1

(Until their pimp (ESPN) tells them to, the street-walking ladies (SEC,B12,B10, etc) would rather shank you than let you amble down Easy Street.)

1 Like

Oh I don’t doubt at all that there will still be class-divisions (no “pun” intended) but according to the article above, there will be “more” for everyone.

Initially, it’ll likely be about access to the CFP, and an opportunity to build the AAC brand even further (unless Aresco call actually pull off an auto-bid for us).

And you’re right about who will be calling the shots on this thing.

From the CBS Sports article above:

Coffers: They’ll be full – or full er at FBS schools . Industry sources have estimated an expanded bracket to be worth two or three times more than the current $600 million annually.The question is whether ESPN is willing the tear up the current deal with five years to go on it and renegotiate for a 12-team field.“

the pac 12 publicly saying they want the p5 tchamps to automatically get a bid is embarrassing

the proposal is 6 highest champs, and 6 automatic bids…they are worried about getting jumped by TWO g5 champs, and then not getting any of the atlarges…how much faith do you have in your conference

https://twitter.com/pac12/status/1405950538164752384

2 Likes

This is pathetic. Scott is making the PAC12 look weak. If they cannot get that 5th or 6th autobid, they don’t deserve it. They will have the CFP committee on their side over G5s anyway. SMH

4 Likes

The committee will do what they say x10

We’re getting in this time, don’t worry. With a 12 team format, we’re in. If the pac pushes auto bid then the aac gets 1 also. The reason they don’t want auto bids is bc the aac wants one so they decided no auto bids knowing the the p5s will most likely fill their 5 spots anyway.If the pac pushes this then it only helps us bc then we too get an auto bid which makes us a true p6. As of now , they are setting it up as no auto bids so the aac has to fight for the 6th spot knowing the other p5s get their spot. Therefore the pac is playing in our favor. It’s still good for us either way since it’s way better than before and if no auto bids are given then it starts to take away from the p5 notion of auto qualifier vs the rest. We then become more equal.

1 Like

the pc 12 isnt that influential… they rarely get playoff invites

1 Like

I haven’t seen many games better than the last second win at Tulsa on a long field goal, or the championship game against So. Miss in 1996, or the comeback against Memphis in 2015. The point is, we have had some very good games in the AAC that are as good as any we’ve seen with P5 teams.

Yes, when we were in the SWC we had some great games. When we beat TT it was a great game. But any close, back and forth game or great comeback game is exciting. I know I was thrilled in Ruston when we Case led us back from a 34-7 deficit against La. Tech in the 4th quarter.

1 Like

That is a really bad look for the Pac 12.

I do wonder though if the 6 best conference champions format wont cause the opposite of conference expansion…conference reduction.

If I am Syracuse and Boston College, i might be wanting to get the band back together.

It was cable that caused expansion, well that might be a dying media. That and the 6 best conference champions format puts a dagger into the heart of conference championship games. Why risk playing it. So then you start to want a round robin schedule which screams a 10 team league.

It will make the regular season that much more interesting because for most seasons, winning your P5 and the AAC title = automatic ticket to the dance.

We have never seen that in recent years in college football…in the past is was about the eye test. Now it is about WINNING your conference any way you can!

3 Likes

Expanding to 12 with 6 auto bids will only democratize the college football model. I think there are huge fan bases that have been sidelined by the current “invitational” CFP and have subsequently turned away from college football.

A 12 team playoff should create the same widening of entertaining and meaningful games and regular seasons as college basketball did when it expanded originally, much less when it expanded to 64.

In fact, the proposed system is getting closer to the NFL model, which is the biggest, most exciting league with the most meaningful regular season and playoff than any other sport, in my opinion.

In addition to allowing the middle class (the P5 others), lower middle class (AAC, BYU) and even the wild card smaller G5 programs to participate in the playoff being a huge positive for the sport (like once small basketball programs like Gonzaga in the NCAA tourney), a 13 tram playoff could also allow huge blue blood fan bases that have been left out of the current invitational, more times than not, a reason to care about football again. Schools like USC, UCLA, Penn State, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, and yes even Texas, would be a great thing for college football, TV and make the sport more entertaining from a mass marketing standpoint.

College football needs to wake up the West Coast media markets (who basically don’t care about the CFP), and huge markets like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, Detroit, Etc.) in order to keep college football viable and important. Having Birmingham and maybe Oklahoma City be your highest TV ratings leaders for the current CFP format is a recipe for a shrinking market.

2 Likes

The Sun Belt fires back at the PAC12

As one might expect, Scott’s request isn’t sitting well with (at least) one Group of 5 conference. Sun Belt commissioner Keith Gill issued a strong statement Friday night saying CFP bids should be “earned not given”:

“The Sun Belt Conference supports College Football Playoff expansion, including the working group’s recommendation to have the six highest-ranked conference champions in the field. Playoff spots should be earned and not given. Under the proposed system, if you are a deserving team, you should have no concerns of being left out of the Playoff. I look forward to continuing the conversation next week with the CFP Board of Managers.”

Earned and not given was emphasized in the Sun Belt’s tweet sharing the statement.

The PAC12 acts like a spoiled kid that wants everything given to him instead of earning it.

2 Likes

The easiest thing for the PAC do is weakening the AAC by taking UH and Cincy. The SEC and BIG make 14 work so can the PAC

PUMP THE BRAKES

Did you fully read what the proposal entails?
Here is the actual “proposal” Remember it is a proposal. There are no guarantees that this will happen. Why you may ask? The cartel/cfp that is. Now let’s look at the proposal per espn.

“it calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the CFP’s selection committee. There would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference, and no league would qualify automatically”

Questions:
Does it guarantee a sport to the AAC?
No it does not. The cartle/cfp will decide who they deem who is worthy enough. Remember friends that the Mountain West commissioner was in this two years study. The cartel will decide which G5 champion is in.
“The proposal, which was written by a subcommittee comprised of Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, was presented to the entire group of FBS commissioners Thursday morning.”

Who can qualify?
"There would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference, and no league would qualify automatically.
What do you think this means friends?
The cartel and only the cartel decides which conference gets in. They are a cartel so this is who will get in. The five P5 Champions, six other P5 schools and the highest G5 champions. That is it.

But will this really happen? Read between the cartel lines.
“The 10 FBS commissioners and Swarbrick must agree on a format when they meet next Thursday and Friday to discuss the topic in person for the first time since before the coronavirus pandemic. While the four members of the working group spent the past two years researching the possibilities to ultimately conclude that 12 teams provide the best opportunity, it’s still possible the seven other members of their group might support another format or take issue with the recommendation.”

Nothing has been decided yet.

1 Like

So far the arguments against it a pretty weak.

1. It makes College football more like the NFL. Duh we decided that as soon as we went playoffs. Currently we have the lamest playoff possible and see the same teams every year.
  2. This will make the G5 relevant. Duh you can’t exclude half of college football forever, that anti trust suite is coming. There is enough pie for everyone.
    I dont think either argument is sound and the 12 playoff offers huge amounts of money and opportunity. But the P5s and ESPN might want to block. The extra money comes from selling the playoffs to multiple networks, why would ESPN want to share? Just like why would the P5s want to share?
    We’ve been Charlie Brown so much, I’m just waiting for the ball to be pulled away.
1 Like

I don’t see the CFP management board giving in to the PAC12 after the overwhelming media and public support for it although the CFP selection committee will rely on the mysterious Strength of Schedule to make sure only one G5 makes the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/SunBelt/status/1406046612363882500?s=03