12 team playoff game changer AAC

Yes, the PAC being part of the P5’s is…ONE OF THE CARTEL MEMBERS. The Sun Belt or any of the G5 league can cry foul it does not mean squat. We/I hate it but the cartel decides NOT US.

I know everyone is talking about the possibility of 2 G5 teams making the 12 team playoffs but it reminded me when they said all 130 FBS teams had a chance to make the 4 team playoffs. Well, we see how that turned out.

4 Likes

you are over estimating the power of the pac12… not all p5 are created equal, if the pc 12 had the kind of power you are insinuating, they wouldnt have made a public plea as to why it should be the p5, theyd have just made those changes in private…
and its not g5 influence vs the cartle influence… its national perception vs pac 12 influence…if the p5 start making moves to guarantee spots and money in the midst of NIL stuff basklash will happen…

also the committee from the study group isnt the same as the selection committee…mwc has no influence who is picked …

also it is technically correct that nothing has happened…but it is looking like an almost guarantee to happen, thats why conferences are making official public statements about it, the pac 12 letter even complained about how fast it was happening…they are projecting the start for the 2023 season, sankey yesterday said everything is moving forward

pesik is the PAC one of the P5’s? Yes
pesik what is the cartel made of? P5’s
What is moving forward? The cartel
Enough said.

Clearly this will happen.

Clearly this will expose the current weakness of The PAC 12, which will get even weaker when Az State has to clean out its entire coaching staff.

Former MWC member Utah May win The PAC 12 this season. Not USC, nor Oregon, nor UCLA…Utah.

The AAC now has no need to expand unless a candidate shows it can bring higher revenue to the existing 11 members. Other than maybe BYU that Universe is a null set.

1 Like

But what will happen?
Again read what the cartel’s proposal implies. We know there will be one G5. so far that is it. That is the only thing that we know for sure.
The PAC signed on a few years back to be part of the cartel P5. Do you think they are going to get themselves cut off from the cartel? Not a chance. This has always been about money. Why are you guys still thinking this is about sports and deserving a spot or two?
What does history tell us?

Regarding ASU it is quite interesting that these pictures came out. Is it a hit piece directed by U of A?..

history tells us they will do whatever needs to be done to appease the public…there has been no support for auto p5 invites, including fans of the p5 …
the ncaa wants nothing to do with NIL, but will have NIL in months,

again you dont need to make a public plea for changes in a plan if you have the power to change it behind the scenes…likely donesnt have the votes amoung other p5

1 Like

also the aac joins the sunbelt in denouncing the auto p5 bids

1 Like

pesik what is the definition of a cartel?

1 Like

I don’t see any way a norte dame or byu can get in without being an at large selection…that might be OK for norte dame but I think that leaves BYU in the wind. They’ll need to conference up….we need to take them otherwise it could be mwc champ: byu rank vs aac champ most years.
rather have a chance to beat them on the field than have the opinionaters decide .

cartel is a nickname, the p5 isnt actually a cartel… the p5 also is not evenly distributed in power.

the big 10 and sec have drastically more influence than the pac 12…the sec is the one who recommended this format… the pac 12 displeasure means nothing.
this format means nothing…

also no one siad anything about fair… they will still dominate the bids, on most years they will have 11 of the 12 bids in the system proposed…and thats why it wont change…if you amke it “guaranteed” bids you point out open bias… if you say 6 highest ranked champions, and then you control which 6 are picked the bias is less obvious

Do you think Saudi Arabia has more power than a lesser oil producer?
Do you think drug cartels are all equal?
Do you think mob families are all equal?
Do you want me to go on?

Notre Dame has agreed to forfeit the top 4 positions if their record say they should be in the top 4.

I first thought that we should not add BYU since there will be a 12 team playoff but now I am thinking it would not be a bad idea since it would solidify the AAC as the top G5 in the minds of the CFP selection committee.

We could have a loss or two and still be ranked higher than the other undefeated G5 similar to SEC schools versus PAC12 schools.

By being the top G5 champ in the playoffs every year, we could get that $67M every year.

1 Like

2023 12 team playoff participants:

SEC Teams
Alabama, LSU, Georgia

BIG10 Teams
Ohio St., Penn. St., Wisconsin

BIG12 Teams
Oklahoma, Texas

ACC Teams
Clemson, Notre Dame

PAC12 Teams
Oregon

G5 Team
Coastal Carolina (undefeated)

Chosen over Boise St., Cincinnati, Buffalo and Marshall who had one loss each.

Note that Notre Dame was included by ESPN in the 2020 ACC rankings due to CoVid scheduling. This may change this year, if so, move Notre Dame from AAC to Independent team chosen for the 2023 12 team tournament.

As the proposal now states, no limit of teams from a conference.
I can see some years where the SEC/BIG10 may have 4 teams in the tournament.

We have already seen a selection committee put two SEC teams into the 4 game Championship tournament.

The question is how the committee selects the G5 wild card team in regards to how the polls/media rank P5 teams against G5 teams.
Also expect even fewer OOC games between P5 and G5 teams.

That’s about the same hypothetical selections I fear as well. Some years
SEC would have 3 or 4 teams and BIG 10 as well. One throwaway bone selection
to a G5, if it’s ranked high enough, just to keep it “fair” and avoid legal issues.

How the NCAA allowed this situation to evolve and lose control of THE most
popular college sport is mind boggling. There are ample examples at levels of competition
above and below how to do it right. Sure this 12 playoff proposal will be more beneficial to
the upper 1/3 of the P5, and make their fans happy. But G5 will always be on the outside.
Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

At least the commissioners are throwing haymakers out of the gate. Its about the sizzle…not the steak.

Win the PR battle. Win the war. Make the p5 look juvenile and spoiled. Get public opinion on your side.

Who would have known the Sun belt commish would come out doin work.

1 Like

Despite two fewer wins, Cincinnati (9-0) was ranked ahead of Coastal Carolina (11-) by four spots by the CFP committee going into the playoffs last year.

In 2019, the CFP placed 12-1 Appalachian State one spot ahead of 10-3 Cincinnati. (Prior to that only WMU ended up in the top 25, among the bottom three conferences)

In 2014, when Marshall was 10-0 they were unranked by the CFP committee. Finally, when they won their eleventh, they were ranked 24. One spot behind 9-2 Boise State.

All the same dynamics that hate the AAC, hate the Sun Belt a lot more than the AAC. The big boys and TV networks and talking heads may not want UCF there, but they really don’t want Coastal Carolina there.

2 Likes

FWIW, I’m not cherry-picking here. Western Michigan got in at 13-0 with no competition from the MWC and AAC that year. I can’t find any ranked CUSA-MAC-SBC teams going into the playoff selection week prior to 2014. The Marshall case I just happened to remember.

Point being, when it comes to AAC vs the bottom three, the system is actually rigged in our favor. They might even spot us a loss when stacking us up against the MWC.

Let’s face the SEC is supporting because in the early years they will probably send at least 3 teams with this new format. What needs to happen is that those extra SEC teams need to be defeated consistently by the AAC or any other conference that will face them.

I wouldn’t say it’s rigged in our favor. AAC power teams have shown they can take down the P5 big dogs. When you tally how many P5s we beat, it’s more than the other G5 conferences. UCF’s 25 straight wins helped and the P6 marketing put in the minds of others that we are the best G5.

All of this is why AAC power teams are given the benefit of the doubt and is often ranked higher than other G5 teams with the same record.

In other words, we have earned it.

1 Like