1983 Cougar Basketball Team

This year’s team can get a rebound when they need it.

dives for cover

2 Likes

A better matchup would be 1968 vs 1983 with dunks allowed.

3 Likes

Deeky V Mr. Mean going for a loose ball.

Someone is getting bit.

2 Likes

I remember when the shot clock was instituted and people said that Houston was going to dominate. No one could play with Houston if there was a shot clock.

I also remember when they expanded the Tournament from 32 to 64 and thinking we will always be in the tournament.

Oh those were the days…glad we are back to them.

1 Like

Me too. I was there as a 6 year old and still remember the let down feeling and hurt.

All of us who lived through that game have the same feelings.

3 Likes

I was in trial in Beaumont. Watched the game in my hotel room. At least I had something the next day to take my mind off it. Still the loss lingered for days. Its still there today.

1 Like

I was on the 10th Floor of Moody Tower. Mile-Hi-Coog who occasionally frequents this board was down the hall.

I was there - never felt so low after a loss. Then, climbed in the back end of a Datsun pickup truck for a long, cold ride home.

This team makes FT’s…

1 Like

Speaking of Datsun and that very month in 1983.

A classified advertisement was placed in the Houston Chronicle (or Post don’t remember) that My roommate and I were selling a Datsun 280z for an extremely low price.

We got about a hundred calls.

Only problem is that neither of us owned such automobile and neither of us placed that ad.

Not very nice.

Furthermore, the bill was sent to my roommate. The bill was going to be sent to me but the culprits thought wisely that I would have freaked out on them.

It was the only time my wife cried after a sporting event.

speaking of the PSJ days…what happened after those teams…why didn’t UH reload and kept the momentum?..

The short answer is Tito Horford. I don’t remember all of the details, but he was going to be the next great big man at UH. LSU accused us of cheating. We accused them. Tito ended up at Miami (I think) and Guy Lewis was pretty much done after that. Instead of promoting Donnie Shverak (sp?), who was instrumental in recruiting Tito, we went with Pat Foster from Lamar. Foster was a good coach, but you can’t follow a legend. Then it was 30 years of poor coaching decisions and irrelevance until Sampson.

4 Likes

The NCAA completely screwed us from Tito. Dale Brown at LSU was one of the most corrupt coaches in the game

4 Likes

Mark,

That’s how I remeber it too. In fact, I remember being at a game (BA 1985) and saw Tito walking around the perimeter. Then he was gone. All eggs in one basket…

Donnie got us slapped on the hand by paying for Horford and his girl friend a cab ride.
Bottom line is that Horford was no longer allowed to be recruited by UH. The last time I talked to Donnie he was bitter about being the scapegoat
LSU stepped up with a briefcase full of money but Tito and mama decided Miami would be better.
Bigger briefcase?

Lots of stories about Tito but if the loss of one player brings your program down then your program didn’t have a very solid foundation

There were a lot of issues going on at that time. Tito was just one of them.

I think GVL had just has enough.

Thx…it just seemed like a hard fall and so sudden…and then basketball purgatory…