1983 Cougar Basketball Team

Guy had lost several key recruits during the time and it was painfully obvious we were on the downturn

Horford was registered and attending class at UH. LSU showed up in the middle of the night, gave his girl friend a “scholarship” and moved him to Baton Rouge. UH complained to the NCAA and they decided to punish both UH and LSU and told Horford he could play anywhere but Houston and LSU.

1 Like

I think the phi slama teams were on another level. They call the 83 team or whichever one lost to NC State as the greatest team team to not win it all. I was a teenager in New Orleans when phi slamma was there for final four. I got to see them at the super dome in the final 4 but at the time I didn’t realize the significance of what I was watching but my friend who knew basketball was like watch these guys, it’s phi slamma jamma.

I’m not sure that you can truly compare the 83 team with today’s team. In 83 it was an inside out game dominated by the Centers while today’s game is more of a Guard centric outside in game.

2 Likes

I was in the second or third row right behind the goal Charles scored on at the end. Just sat there for the longest time. I’ve always thought we would have won if there had been a shot clock at that time, or if we hadn’t taken the air out of the ball when we had the lead toward the end. Don’t think the 3-point shot would have helped us. I believe the '83 Cougar team was one of the great college basketball teams of all time. Didn’t win a title, but that team was amazing. I don’t think our current team could score enough points to hang with the '83 guys.

2 Likes

I believe the 82-83 team would beat any team UH ever put together, and just about any other college team ever put together. Unfortunately, they picked a bad day to have a bad day.

1 Like

If they had made just 2 more FT’s we would have won it. Period.

Dream vs Elvin would have been some kind of matchup. The 83 team had more outside shooters but the power down low of the 83 team was hard to beat. 83 team was faster. It would have been a great game but it is useless to speculate about it. I truly believe if Rob had stayed and played with that team we would have won the national championship against NC State.

The game has changed since then but I’d have to give PSJ the edge. Those guys did things on the court you just don’t see these days. Hakeem dunked and blocked shots with so much ease. There’s nobody on the current team that could stay with him.

1 Like

Considering Dream began playing BB so late in his life, he was one in a million. He showed in college, but also in the pros that he could dominate almost anyone that has ever played the game. Only a few I can think of might have been comparable . . . . . Bill Cartwright, Magic Johnson, Lew Alcindor. I’m sure I’m forgetting some other of the “greats” but these three come to mind as the most outstanding players ever . . . . .

In College - Elvin
In the NBA - Dream.

Dream never reached the level of E if you are comparing the two collegiate careers. That said had Rob stayed one more year that Slama team would have been incredible.
That said all but one starter on it he ‘68 team was eventually drafted

1 Like

For those who saw Chaney and Reynolds how would you compare them with Young and Drexler?

I never have understood how Drexler could have been held to 4 points in that game. I still get sad when I remember that night. Additionally I HATE CBS for continually reminding me by showing Valvano’s excitement afterward still today when they promo basketball.

1 Like

Chaney and George Reynolds had incredibly long arms and were a terror on defense, especially when Guy would put on the full court press. I would give them the edge defensively. I don’t remember the exact rule, but Reynolds was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament in 1968. I think that made a big difference in the rematch with UCLA that year (though probably not enough to win it). I would give a big edge to Young and Drexler offensively. Drexler was an all around better athlete, and Young was a better rebounder and much better shooter than Reynolds or Chaney (they didn’t really need to be big scorers on the '68 team). Overall, I would give the edge to Drexler and Young.

1 Like

This! Chaney & Reynolds were both known more for their Defense. Chaney being one of the best to ever guard at his position, even as much at the NBA level.

I clearly remember two things about Drexler and his play. One night, he was driving to the bucket and a defensive player was standing between him and the basket. He split his legs as he jumped over the D player and still made a basket. In a later game, Drexler tried the same thing, but the defensive player reached out and grabbed Drexler’s legs and held them together. Never could figure out why Drexler got the foul call . . . . . It has never been “tackle” basketball . . . . .