2019 Astros - The Playoffs

Unfortunately, Greinke hasn’t been a great postseason pitcher. He had a good stretch with the Dodgers from 2013-15, but has struggled outside of that. Hopefully, he can do well this next series and we can get at least one win in his starts…we’ll need it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1182481692889665537?s=20

Agreed. I’m glad his game one is at home at least, but worries me that a game 5 would be at Yankee Stadium.

3 Likes

I feel like the Astros have to hit better than they did in the Rays series to win the ALCS. The Yankees lineup reminds me of the 2017 Astros. Consistently explosive all up and down the order.

4 Likes

Yanks haven’t faced starters like this either all year long…good pitching always beats good hitting

going to be a fun series. tv heads are loving it…2 heavyweights going at it

first series is always hardest on teams that didn’t have to fight tooth and nail down the stretch just to get in playoffs…layoffs are lethal in baseball

3 Likes

I will say this: The Rays were no pushover and I believe the Yankees would have struggled as well. That said, I feel better about our guys not facing a new pitcher every inning, so I think this will give us the advantage (As Altuve said, it is hard to adjust to a new pitcher every inning) Rays actually prepared us for this test.

2 Likes

I think this is going to be a really tough series. I hope that we pull it out.

1 Like

No Miley…No Lefties.

1 Like

Astros hitting has evidently been cryo-freezed and shot into space. Absolutely pitiful. Pitching has done its job.

So disappointing. I can’t remember the last time that I changed the channel on an Astros playoff game. I actually don’t feel that confident even with Verlander going tomorrow.

1 Like

"The Yanks missed their chance to not only win both games in Houston but defang the Verlander/Cole mystique.
Chance No. 2 comes Tuesday, the comfort of The Bronx, but also the discomfort of Cole’s arsenal.

Either the Yanks figure a way to win a game started by Verlander or Cole, or else taking that opener is going to be a pleasant footnote within an unpleasant result."

1 Like

Astros just need to win one in New York; hopefully Cole makes it easy and pitches lights out next game.

4 Likes

Only thing that worries me is that is at New York and the Astros are 0-2 in the road during these playoffs. Odds are Astros win at least one, the Cole game.

And get help with the bats.

1 Like

" Houston’s advantage in this series was going to be starting pitching, and Zack Greinke and Verlander will start in the Bronx on full rest, with Cole looming in Game 7 if necessary. The starting edge projects larger after the rainout, which impacts the Yankees bullpen far more than it does the Astros rotation."

1 Like

I get that Hinch is going for the “win now” mantra but I just don’t know about the pitching setup for the rest of this series.

Game 4: Greinke (regular rest)
Game 5: JV (regular rest)
Game 6: ? or Cole (short rest if the Yankees take games 4 & 5
In that scenario:
Game 7: Urquidy & bullpen

If the Astros win 4&5, none of it matters and you have Cole starting Game 1 of the World Series. If the worst case scenario happens then it gets pretty dicey.

I think he should have set it up like this:

Game 4: Urquidy/Bullpen
Game 5: JV
Game 6: Greinke
Game 7: Cole

But what do I know. Hinch is the one that has won a World Series before.

1 Like

This echoes your thoughts.

1 Like

Ultimately, I just wish there wasn’t a rain delay and we had JV and Cole going at home. I would feel more comfortable with the home crowd having their backs. It would probably allow them to be sharper. But ah well.

https://www.bobsblitz.com/2019/10/scumbag-yankees-fans-chant-houston.html

Pre Sale today @10am for World Series tickets at Yankee Stadium.
Upper Deck above home plate. Per seat = $725.

@ 02:06
https://omny.fm/shows/joe-benigno-and-evan-roberts/show-open-23acfc8a-2445-4647-8f7e-42c3765572ec

1 Like