2020-21 Team Offseason Workout Thread

But the ones were the group in the zone, and we had the walk-ons on offense, we also only do 1 team workout a week if we have zero covid negatives

Sampson’s man to man defense is extremely difficult to learn, and we have lots of new players. not counting the rice game, we might have been in zone less than 15 plays for the rest of the season… zone would be really odd to work on at this moment if we had no intention of implementing it more

Correct! The coaching staff would be remiss if they weren’t preparing the team for every possibility.

It was a 5 sec clip. lol
But I do love your enthusiasm and observations Pesik.
Sincerely!

I agree we are going to see a lot of small ball to get our best offense on the court, but we will experiment to see how we can do it without suffering suffering on defense and rebounding

1 Like

I believe you. It doesn’t make sense to teach zone or run it with one practice a week. Do you think we won’t be as good on man? Or is this what we are transitioning to?

man to man is sampsons dna… we are definitely going to run mostly man…but i dont think we have any guard that is a shoe in to be able to defend the 4. most dont have the height…dejon and tramon might be too skinny, grimes might not have the toughness.

there are actually alot of touted 4s in the league next year … IMO with no evidence i think we are preping for contingency plans incase some matchups arent in our favor…probably alot more than the average year…(we lack touted 4s, the league is stacked with touted bigs)

1 Like

Zone is like anything. The more you practice it the better it will be. But the more time you practice it the more time it takes away from working on something else.

1 Like

We are fine at the 4 it is about what we do when we want to get 4 really talented guards on the court at the same time.
Chaney will be able to defend anyone. How much time he can spend at the 5 might have something to do with how well Gorham can handle himself. I know he can shoot some but to me it is about his quickness on D and his ability to rebound .

I wouldn’t agree with us being fine at the 4 at all without seeing what some of these guys can do this year.

It’s a massive liability if we put more than one guy on the floor at a time who can’t space the floor. The only big we have any confidence in being able to space is Gorham and there are a lot of questions about his overall ability to contribute. If none of Roberts, Chaney, Powell, or Gresham are able to effectively space then it’s going to be really hard to play any of those guys together at the same time.

There is more than one way to win games and we have guys who will get out there and keep doing what we do best, rebound and defend. So yeah, when we go with two bigs I am good but I really expect plenty of small ball and I do believe Jarreau and Grimes are ready to take the next step and play that role. Against some teams we will require a bigger 4.
Naturally everything is projections and subjective, even with Gorham,. I am also not of the belief that we need to have a perfect team. If Hinton we’re here I think he is our starting 4, but we are fortunate to have the roster depth we have so I am not complaining.

I agree that we’ll make do however we have to. I’m just saying I like the individual pieces but I have big questions about our 4/5 situation in aggregate outside of small ball based on spacing concerns. If there’s a surprise in there like Roberts having a mid range shot or this 15 footer from Gresham being for real then that opens up a lot more options.

https://twitter.com/CoachAlanBishop/status/1308832954974646272

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1310723463729033217

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1312047562023723009

3 Likes

Love it. Go Coogs!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1313267731920121856

3 Likes

That Jamal Shead to Kiyron Powell alley-oop is something we’ll be seeing a lot of over the next few years.

Was that Roberts wearing White’s 35?

Who was wearing #11?

Mark wearing 11, a left hander !

Reggie Chaney I believe

Yeah, #35 from his bulk/size did appear to be Reggie Chaney.