2020-21 Team Offseason Workout Thread

i want to point out something, ive seen like 6 or 7 posts between here and the football side that there wont be football or basketball becuase of the recent news

some of yall are overvaluing the impact of UH in the decision making of the NCAA…

Yup. UH is the only school that has reacted this way. There will be football and basketball this year. Doesn’t mean UH will be playing, though. That’s totally up to them.

I don’t think anyone’s claimed the NCAA won’t allow sports because of UH.

There are a dozen or more schools that have had athletes test positive so far–and it’s early and the cases are climbing in the South. If this continues, who knows what will happen? Neither you or I know.

thats true but the fear behind the disease has drastically decreased…the cases might be going up but people are caring less and less. houston just had a 80,00 people march just 5 days ago, and viewing/funeral with thousands just 2 days ago

i listened to an interview with aresco where he speaks about this in depth… he also just had a meeting with emmert…first he noted that its a certainty we will get positive tests throughout the season, its inevitable but he fully expects there to be a season…the protocol is being made right now on how to handle it…
and you are right that we dont know what will happen, but too much is riding on the season for me to think it wont happen… in the interview with aresco he said not playing the basketball tourney and baseball wasnt really a big loss, some aac schools lost some sports, but those sports were inevitable going to be gone, this just sped up the process. but said real collpase in college athletic would happen if there is no college football…no matter what donors will be down next year (economy is bad), almost all college athletics work in the red, and almost all fbs have bills in the 40mil+ yearly (infrastructure payments, salaries, athlete expenses (food, lodging, stipends) ) those bills wont go away even if there is no sports

do i think the hysteria will be strong enough for every college athletic program in the ncaa to willingly implode in debt in 3 months (for football) and in 6 months (for basketball)…i dont see it, but you never know… football is a maybe, no one is going to care in January

It is pretty simple. They have to be willing to continue playing the sport with players getting sick.
I see very little reason to not keep playing but with reactions like ours who knows what will happen.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1273308204953481217

And he’ll develop the antibodies and be better for it in the future.

Sure. If he doesn’t die. And if he doesn’t get long-term lung damage. And maybe he won’t have passed it on to his family and friends. But it’s a good thing otherwise.

8 Likes

I think the way things are playing out there will not be any sports the rest of the year or until a vaccine is found,
Too risky for athletes and the schools watching out for them. We don’t need a bunch of law suits

2 Likes

I agree they will cancel football and basketball this year, especially with the media blowing this up even more. Hopefully a vaccine is found soon

1 Like

again duarte is making a big deal of it, but the ncaa doesnt care, its not really a story in the national land scape…

international soccer is already back on, korean baseball has been back for weeks, baseball owners have guaranteed their will be a season, and the nba is back in a month…

i already made a long post about it but 80% of colleges athletic departs will go bankrupt if they do not have athletics this year. example ucf said they need to come up with about 40mill in expenses even if there are no sports in operational costs, and have no way to generate it otherwise. ours is probably worse since we just spent a ton on facilities…i have a hard time not seeing sports happening, risk and all…the risk is there but the fear is mostly gone…

I hope you are right but frankly on the college level I don’t agree with the possibility of many law suits. We will see

Unless we do a bubble format this ain’t gonna end well as no one will want to claim responsibility if death occurs even with waivers signed as someone will say they were basically forced to sign like voluntary workouts

its impossible to track contractions on a disease that is a internationally spread pandemic, the chance of a lawsuit is actually rather low. this isnt concentrated in any specific college, or athletics in general. young athletes also have a .0001% chance of getting serious symptoms that would lead to hospitalization
the risk reward is favorable to run sports in college athletics…young athletes have unrealsitc odds to get really sick, and the off chance you get that .0001% , you likely settle in court for 1-2mill
if you dont play sports there is 100% chance you go 50million in debt and no realistic way to pay it off (for 500 colleges- easily billions in losses)

i see no way they cancel basketball that is too far away…football will be interesting…if playing in empty arenas wasnt an issue, i wouldnt be worried about football but in the ucf article i referenced, most schools dont just need sports playing, they need attendance revenue…would not be shocked to see a delayed season or pushed to the spring for football…

Let’s all say goodbye to UH athletics.

Really just depends on what happens with coaching salaries and whatnot if there’s no season. I don’t want to stiff CKS on his salary and have him bounce, but scratching all the seasons and not paying Dana and staff most of their salary (which of course I don’t want to do either) would probably actually be a lot better for the department financially than having football without fans. It’s not like football is profitable for us.

A lot more than coaching salaries. We still have a lot of scholarships to pay for. That football and basketball usually would foot the bill. Our costs will be outrageous. And we’re not even talking support staff and others in the athletic department. No season would cripple UH.

the biggest costs would be for all our facilities…stadium, arena, indoor football facility, baseball, basketball facility, track facility…we’ve down over half a billion in upgrades in recent years alone…
we are still paying for all of those, and the payments wont be put on hold because we arent playing sports

Good point. And will have even fewer students to foot the bill if we’re doing remote classes. A lot of kids will just take a year off. Or head to community college.

I fully believe UH athletics will not exist this time next year if we don’t play football or basketball.

The media and the fear mongers of done their job. If we are going to shut down down when a couple players get the virus there is no point in even trying. The only way this happens is if we allow them to get sick and recover as 99% + of those will and an unknown rising percentage of those who will have the antibodies after having no symptoms.
And research is showing transferring the virus from asymptomatic carriers is rare.

If you don’t believe any of that then you are probably ready for some big changes and sports are dead if you think we should not learn to play with this possibility.