2021 offers

I remember a stud JC guard out of Tyler we signed in 1969 named Poo Welch, who turned out to be one the best to ever play here.
Hoping this kid who is also from Lake Charles can become an AA here!

2 Likes

Thanks. That timing works out really well then with Jarreau and possibly Grimes leaving. Kid looks like heā€™s gonna be really fun to watch.

How fun is it that now we reloadā€¦not rebuild!

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/J0nasAid00/status/1284654439111045120

7 ft from Durham, NC

Michael Thomas really knows how to find the open spots in a defense. Can really shoot it. Great off the dribble. And can get into the lane and finish.

The last great JUCO guard we got, he couldnā€™t really finish in the lane. Corey Davis. But he was elite at every thing else.

This guy looks like a bigger Rob Gray. Who can shoot it better from the outside. Letā€™s see if he can be as creative at the rim playing big boy D1 basketball as Rob was.

2 Likes

Coach Sampson now is looking for a Center to finish this recruiting cycle with a BANG!!!

2 Likes

CKS sure makes the most of his North Carolina ties.

2 Likes

A 7 footer who can shoot 3s?!? I canā€™t even imagine how well this guy would do in a Sampson offense.

6 Likes

Heā€™s a prep player. He will go to a prep school this coming year.

Yea he reclassified to 2021 because he was a 16 year old senior.

I can see that, he needs to beef up.

Having the skill set is good but really donā€™t want my 7ft center at the three point line much.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be happy :slight_smile: with the kid from Navarro. Dude is a legit 7 feet 225+ specimen who can move and jump.

Ja 'vier Francis is a local talent who plays center. Given that he is young for his class '21, he would be a red shirt candidate, but is still considered the #2 player in the Houston area by Vype. 6ā€™8 maybe gets to 6ā€™9 when finish growing. His wingspan is like 7ā€™5 or close to it. Athletic.

Apparently heā€™s only 16, and Coach Bishop would get his body NBA ready. Not only would he fit the scheme here well and probably get a Natty, he would develop and be a monster on draft day by coming here.

We just need to get one of these 4 to 5 post players we are recruiting in November. None of us really know how we have the bigs rated and ranked one through five on our board.

I will say that Coach Sampson seems to be looking at top juco players ( see Thomas and Baker at guard ) so he must truly believe we have a couple year window to make a possible final 4.

I think CKS is just bracing for the inevitable, players leaving early. This helps us offset the losses of Grimes and Jarreau and possibly one any more.
I think the goal is every season to put together a team who can make a run.

1 Like

Hopefully with Thomas and Ramon Walker verbally committed they can focus on a big guy now. Wish someone could tell us how the staffs board is looking. Navarro big and Aidoo would be at the top of mine based off the offers. Francis is a nice player but it would be nice to get a 6ā€10+ big to round out the roster.

1 Like

@RWcoog- doesnā€™t Sampson also get a million dollar bonus if we get into a power five conf?

To your point about the short window, decisions will be made on tv deals / conference invites during that period too. Final 4 would give an even greater shot.

Also, these players leaving early canā€™t make him comfortable.

Iā€™m not too sure about that since Sampsonā€™s pay is ranked #21. Wichita State has the only AAC coach ahead of Sampson. In basketball, we are already very competitive with coaches salaries and facilities. In addition, we have the opportunity to win a national championship and get really good recruits.
https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/sports/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331