2021 Transfer Portal

Thank you sir! It took me a while to figure out what “TOS” meant from the TOS. Its a lot more lively here

2 Likes

It would be great if more teams from the AAC get in the tournament, but what the other teams do has nothing to do with what UH does. See this season.

Exactly Joe and the first thing I thought when I saw the news. I just didn’t feel like getting drawn into some long back and forth discussion about some kid going to Memphis with the usuals praising the addition.

It does. Better conference equals more opportunities for good wins equals better shot at tourney selection/better seeding. Being in a better conference also translates to more exposure and better recruiting and better attendance for home conference games as well. Just because it worked out this year doesn’t mean that’s always going to be the case.

Gonzaga is the rare definitive exception and they built their profile over a long period of time that allows them to play an absolutely stacked OOC. And even then it’s not like BYU and St. Mary’s in the WCC are chumps.

As long as we don’t have multiple teams leaving us in the dust and clearly passing us in the conference pecking order (can’t see that as long as we have CKS) the more tourney caliber teams we have in the conference the better.

2 Likes

We need an honest to god rival. Memphis imo, is that rival. They’ve flipped the table on us in football. While we’ve flipped the table on them in basketball. We have the potential to be dominate in both sports and push this league to new heights.

4 Likes

conference strength affects recruiting ,and tournament seeding. we arent going to only be a 3 loss team team every year… 9 losses in a weak conference and you are sweating on selection sunday and might not make it in… 9 losses in a perceived strong conference and you are wandering if itll be a 5 or 6 seed

4 Likes

In basketball, I think Cincy has been that rival. The last three AAC Tournament Championships have been played between UH and Cincy. But they have certainly been on a downward trend after Cronin left.

I dont know. Wouldnt call that one a rivalry. Probably just because I remember when we were still sitting on 1 win all-time against them. Don’t get me wrong, I hate Cincy and love it when we beat them but I’m not sure they feel the same about us. The Memphis fans made it pretty clear this year that they have some genuine hate towards us. That along with competitive games is what you need to fuel a rivalry. Anyway people on this board can poo poo Penny’s recruiting style but I think he’s finally figuring it out as coach. Don’t be surprised if they break through and make the tourney next year. Its good for the league and good for us if they do.

1 Like

I’d throw Cincinnati and UCF in the mix.

Of full members, the class of the AAC is :
UH
UM
UC
UCF

We need all 4 to be consistently good in both football and Basketball.

Next tier:
SMU
Temple
USF

Then the ‘continue to build everything’ members:
ECU
Tulane
Tulsa

The hope is to be Kansas. Assume they’ll win the Big 12 every year (basketball) and everyone recruits to beat you. I feel like we’re on the right track.

Kansas in conference play, but hopefully someone else in the tourney

2 Likes

Any chance CKS fills this vacancy with Hollis Price?

1 Like

Can he rebound at a higher rate to play a lot of minutes or do you think Kopp is more of an offensive spark off the bench like sophomore Armoni was?

I think several potential transfers are just waiting for Grimes to make a decision…

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1380234097642106882

Nate Oats can recruit. Alabama should be loaded next year even if Burnett still isn’t good.

one would think with the last few runs we’ve had in the tournament, especially with our latest final four run, we’d have recruits / transfers knocking down our doors trying to get in.

is that happening and we’re just being super selective or what am I missing?

I think they are contacting us. Just not at the rate that they are at other big conference schools like Bama, Arkansas, FSU, Indiana etc

It’s probably a little bit of us being selective and our style of play. We demand you play defensive & rebound before anything else. I’m sure that’s not as appealing to some kids compared to going to Alabama & jacking up 40 threes a game.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1380257370677374979

6’4 202 lbs

Only played in 14 games this year. He played in 29 games the year before (2019-2020)and averaged 15pts, 4.6 rebounds, 6 assists. Shot 45% from the field and 37% from 3

2 Likes

This highlights the problem with the information vacuum. We have no idea who the staff is targeting, the plan in place or what players are interested. We are guessing off twitter follows and inconsistent info from media guys.