21. Butler
  22. Houston
  23. BYU
  24. Arizona
  25. Ohio State
1 Like

I think we stomp Tulsa !

6 Likes

Agree if we have the same type of game we had against WSU at home.

1 Like

Parity in top 25
ACC 3
B12 3
B10 4
SEC 2
AAC 1

1 Like

Bad year for the AAC to be down since everything is wide open. Sounds like 3 bids is the best case scenario now.

1 Like

I don’t think we are down, I think we have a bunch of even teams and voters aren’t giving AAC much credit this year. BTW, we should have started ranked.

3 Likes

Three bids would be great.

3 Likes

Reason I say it’s down is not many teams in the league have great OOC resumes and not sure who is poised to make a run in the tourney.

2 Likes

We have a league of mostly very young teams. Next year the AAC will be a bitch I’ll bet.

4 Likes

Derrick, we lost 4 starters and didn’t have a top nationally ranked recruiting class, there was no reason to expect us to start the season ranked.

3 Likes

WSU and Memphis probably had the best OOC schedules and wins and then pooped their pants in conference play

7 Likes

Makes you wonder about the “strong” OOC wins !!

How many were against P5 teams, who before the season starts are deemed automatically better !

1 Like

Knowledgeable b-ball media also remember two heartbreaking losses in a row in the tourney against very good teams.

1 Like

There is CKS as a reason . . . . .

4 Likes

Ben, though I think Sampson is as good of a coach as there is in college basketball, he can’t actually play. Most rankings are more reflective of the players, not the coach. Sure, some teams with good coaches seem to get ranked every year; but that’s because they also get the top recruits. Memphis was ranked because of their recruiting class, not because of Hardaway’s coaching.

Next year, when we have a lot of returning starters and some more seniors, I expect us to be more respected to begin the season.

2 Likes

We also weren’t a top 25 caliber team when the season began. We’ve gotten better as the season has progressed.

4 Likes

And, we will continue that!

2 Likes

Bill Yeoman used to say (when freshman could not play on varsity their first year) “The best thing about a sophomore is when he becomes a junior.”
We have such a solid foundation of young players and we have three more coming in next year. The good news is everyone steps up a year closer to graduation.
But the best news is that the newbies will learn the Coog culture from the older guys with a wink from coach Sampson

2 Likes

Coogs at #25. Top 5 includes Gonzaga, Dayton, and San Diego State. What a world.

4 Likes