2k fans short

Yes, only 8000+ students live on campus !!

Most other major universities probably pale in comparisons.

Enough with the old adages !!!

2 Likes

I hear BYU refuses to play on Sunday, and they usually have a full house. Maybe we should try it.

Houston, TX

We sold ALL the tickets and some of you say we do not support. What a joke!
Yes the student section is 1-200 from filling.their allotment but before last season we would not have had enough to fill the capacity on the floor which we are doing consistently.
Not sure why they are not selling all the student tickets like they did last season. Is Sunday games playing a factor?
I think the games vs Cincinnati, Memphis and maybe tulsa games will fill the student sections.

As for ut, I have watched games where the announcers were talking about how lifeless the crowd was and there was no energy in the building. Lol

3 Likes

I agree. As long as the program is making money and the stadium is atleast at 80% capacity i dont fault people for not showing up. The fact we sold out the arena a couple of times the past 2 years and had all the season tickets sell out is good enough for me. I was a student the last 2 years Hof was open and its light years better.

Students not showing up is a head scratcher thought.

3 Likes

Letā€™s profile the average UH student and thereā€™s your problem.

Some are only at UH for school and thatā€™s it. How many have made it lifeā€™s mission to attend UH from birth and participate in all activities like fellow Aggies and Longhorns?

Not many -

also we applaud diversity but that means nationalities with less interest in activities

The days with elvin, etcā€¦the city was different and people from the area associated with the teams as the local high school talent made you go to UH and watch. You followed the stars from young and those guys hung out at the parks and stuff. Even the out of state guys had family in the city so there was a bond.

Now? People live further and the local talent is non-existent and basketball on a High school level is not as interesting as it used to be

8 Likes

I guess the bottom line is we still sold out and perhaps we need to
Figure out how to sell student tickets if not used. If folks want to eat their tickets then so be it. They missed a great atmosphere yesterday!
I believe tickets will be very hard to find the next few years if you donā€™t buy season tickets,
Just kick back and enjoy the ride as coach Sampson drives us up the hill. Attendance will take care of itself, students or not.

6 Likes

As has been mentioned too many times to count the Secondary Market has anywhere from 1500-2,000+ tickets available for every Coog gm. Go to StubHub or VividSeats n you can see them for every game. Throw in the few hundred Student seats that sat empty and thatā€™s why every gm even when itā€™s announced as a sellout thereā€™s est at least 1k-1.5k empty red cushions. These brokers have been doing this for long time in most cases. They buy in bulk(season tickets) for events that will turn a profit in the coming months. No different than when a concert/event sells out quickly you can always go to StubHub in few days n there they are available. COOGS Basketball has still come long way in last 3+ yrs.

1 Like

Scalping used to be a couple of overweight security guards chasing a hoodlum for a few blocks. Now the government is in on itā€¦taking a tax revenue on both ends.

Vice is only bad for society until it can be taxed. Then its just good business. Iā€™ll bet if you dig deep enough its the Texas Lottery Commission buying all the damn tickets.

2 Likes

How about UH just refrain from selling to these brokers?

Then we probably would not sell out. Pick your poisonā€¦sell everything to the mob or leave the revenue on the table.

4 Likes

4 years ago we had a solid 100 people show up to games at the Hofā€¦ we are making strides

4 Likes

Brokerā€™s did exact thing for Coog Football 2016 Season after coming off Peach Bowl win. Remember they sold over 20k in season tiks, think it was like 22k sold, someone here knows actual # Iā€™m sure. But UH tickets was Hot commodity that season n Iā€™m sure the secondary market turned a nice profit on their decision to purchase b4 season started. Just the LVille game itself was selling at well over 100.00/tik for most seats.

1 Like

No pro sports in Austin (kind of). Wichita has no pro sports and has drawn at least 10,000 for the past 240 consecutive basketball games

3 Likes

Theres four seats on my row that have never had anyone sit in them in the almost two seasons FC has been open. Obviously, someone has purchased those seats, but nobody ever shows up to sit in them. Thatā€™s a problem.

1 Like

In no way trying to defend UT Basketball have no interest in them. But hard to compare Austin and Wichita in outdoor activities n thgs to do in one City vs another. I guess in Wichita in Dec-Feb when itā€™s cold outside but you wanna still leave the house you go to the movies or ohh wait WSU is playing todayā€¦letā€™s go.

1 Like

College sports is a mixture of pageantry vs. economics. My grandfather used to buy season tickets to our high school games. It had nothing to do with how good they were. It was about the city and the school song at the end.

Society has lost the sense of sports and community, making it more a rote entertainment issue. Its really not at its core. Its amateurs who choose to do it for their community in lieu of other activities. Houston, as a city, doesnā€™t operate that way.

They spend thousands on the Texans to be part of the NFLā€™s enormous media operation. It gives them a feeling of gravitas and importance.

5 Likes

We even sold SRO tickets for this game and still had several hundred empty seats. I understand we are reaping the revenue benefit, but it would sure be good to see the seats occupied. There are way too many seats in the hands of the Stubhub and Vivid type companies that obviously arenā€™t being bought. Would they be bought/used if not in the hands of a Scalping Agent? Who knows? Fertitta sure gets loud though when a crowd size of yesterday getā€™s into the game. Each of the 3 remaining games on home schedule are HUGE! Tulsa and Cinci - PAYBACK! And itā€™s always fun to take down Memphis! Iā€™ll be there. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Is there any current students on the board that can give us a feel about the lack of student interest? Iā€™m surprised it hasnā€™t become a go to event for the students.

1 Like

This is the new age of sports. Like the commercial seats there are always seats available. Yes it would be nice to have butts in the seats but at some point you think demand in aftermarket will narrow the gap with supply.
We really donā€™t have that much control over this.

Unfortunately I think we have people who weight the cost of our suites behind the visiting bench knowing they can get friendā€™s of the program to spen top dollar on them each game.