2k fans short

I think people are way too concerned with the “lack of butts in seats” issue. FC is a great environment with 20-30% of the seats empty. There are a lot of reasons for seats being empty, and I am not going to condemn anybody for watching from the club or the concourse. As for me, we are in the club section. Have attended every game since FC opened but two. Our kids used those seats. Guy sitting behind me has a daughter on the softball team. They played yesterday at 2. He still somehow managed to attend about 1/3 of the basketball game. There are just so many reasons seats can be empty that it sounds kind of crazy to complain about. There always will be.

6 Likes

The game was a sell out, on national tv and we won. But we need something to complain about, don’t we?

5 Likes

More like worry about. Everyone here is heavily invested…if just emotionally. It’s a legit question but one I hope marketing and Pezman are spending more time analyzing than us.

2 Likes

Every time I see the title of this post I see 2K short fans. It makes about as much sense to complain about the size of our fans as it does to complain about people that paid for tickets not showing up. My daughter has a season ticket and could not come because she had to work. I’m sure she’s not alone.

7 Likes

It just feels like those are for sure empty seats. If we don’t sell to brokers, then perhaps with enough hype for a game, those can filled, whether online or walk up.

1 Like

The third week of January I missed 2 games because my grandfather passed away.
The week before because of a trip i took and before that because of other obligations. Thats somewhere between 6-7
How many games did i miss last year? 1

I dont fault the people that show up sometimes or the people in the expensive seats for not showing up. They did their part as all season holders. I do commend the people that go or try to go to every game and i also respect everyone on here for doing their part.

I though cannot give students a full break with everything we have now. They cannot complain about lack of anything when the product is actually winning on the field and its so close to the dorms. It makes no sense. I wish i had that when the hoff was around.

I commend the 300 who stand the whole game. I look across and im baffled.

I hope you’ve taken her out of the will and blocked her cell phone number!!! :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Today I was on a half empty airplane out of DFW. After the flight attendant closed the door, most passengers who were on aisle seats next to someone moved to the vacant seats no problem. That’s where UH is slacking. At football games we have some people way up top when there’s plenty of room in the lower bowl - look at the XFL They closed that upper and People on TV saw a great crowd supporting their team.

We are an emerging team. Some games we can fill some we can’t.

UH needs to sell more tickets than the arena holds, and if someone doesn’t claim their seat by game time then it should be a rule that seat is up for grabs.

Students also need to be brought into the game. I have a feeling none even know what’s going on at Cullen Blvd since the football team flopped they all quit caring about sports I guess.

1 Like

There should be a rule, if you are not in your seat at tip off, you wait until a break in the action to walk down the aisle, especially if you don’t even know where your seats are. Sundays game, we had, on at least 4 occasions, people walk down the aisle, look around then walk back up the aisle and move to another aisle. Once, what I assume was a grandfather and father were walking to children, about 2 and 3 years old, down the aisle during action. The kids did not really want to go down the steps, but instead of picking them up and carrying them down he aisle, they took about 3 or 4 minutes to get down to their seats. Have respect for other people.

Yeah, and there should be a rule that people can only get up to go to the restroom or concession stand during a designated time, based on their seat location. Enough with these people who want to move around during the game. Gah.
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The athletic/ticket/marketing department has got to find a way to get those empty seats filled. I’m so envious of watching Cincy, Memphis, WSU games and EVERY seat seemingly is filled. It’s pathetic to claim a sellout (even though technically correct) and easily witness so many empty seats. Ridiculous. I actually feel for the players looking up at the stands and seeing that.

3 Likes

There are empty seats at all major sporting events these days so not just exclusive to UH basketball.
Texans have empties in their suits and rows here and there not filled because of ticket services.
Rocket playoff games the same.
Even our game with Oregon that could have
sold 30K had a few empty rows.

I wish we could still fill every seat like the old days in sports but until they make it illegal for these services to exist this is what we are going to get. Sellouts with a few hundred empties.
I will note that our players and staff have raved about the support they have gotten and atmosphere they have experienced at the games

That’s a really big problem. When you hear the game is a sell-out it really means brokers have stepped in and bought up tickets, probably as a discount. This works against walk ups as there really aren’t any tickets at the windows. The brokers jack up the prices but as we all can see most left over tickets don’t get sold. Hopefully brokers will figure this out. As well as the Administration. Students are more impulse driven. Not as likely to plan ahead so this is working against them.

What makes you think they buy them at a discount?

1 Like

Not really. The game atmosphere is great. The fans actually in attendance are a force and Sampson and the team recognize that. We’re kind of like SMU coming off the Death Penalty. The Administration basically abandoned the basketball program for 20 years. Hofeinz was once the Queen of arenas in Texas but the let it fall apart. Fans noticed and quit supporting the team. It’s a long, slow walk back. Ask SMU. Those losses to BYU and Oklahoma State really let the air out of the program. BUT, we’re getting there.

I’m not complaining about the atmosphere Mike…it’s fantastic. Many of the ESPN announcers have commented as such. We’re talking about the problem of sellouts with so many visible empty seats. There should be ways to counteract that issue with creativity by the UH admin.

Not really understanding what UH can do to solve the problems of ticket paying customers not attending any particular game…
But I can understand that with the poor student participation this year perhaps some of those tickets could be sold if not picked up a couple days before the game…
With our season tickets sold out it makes it even more difficult to get walkups at any game.
As long as the empty seats remain there is little we can do…so many reasons to have to miss a game…traffic, church, work, kids games, and many more.
Just be happy the sales have been good and that we now have an excellent following…
And guess what, I think it is going to get even better…by next year UH hoops will be one of the hottest tickets in town.
Cincy might be a sneak preview…

I wonder how many season ticket holders buy extra seats just to have some elbow room? There is nothing worse than being cramped up against your neighbor in those narrow seats.

For football I wonder if it is not better to just sit in the bleacher section?

Width of seats was a major consideration when we considered seat selection . . . . .

I substitute taught a intermediate school at Clear Creek today. I was impressed by how many Univeristy of Houston shirts I saw. This current student body might not be the most passionate sports followers but it looks like we have some future students coming up that will show up for sports.

7 Likes