AAC Football possibly expanding to 14 teams

Football possibly expanding to 14 teams

It was just a month ago when CBS Sports reported that Boise State was looking into possibly joining the AAC in a football-only capacity. While Aresco declined to discuss specifics on what schools the conference may look to add, he did provide a possible indicator of the future of the football conference.

“Our goal is to get back to 12 [teams],” Aresco said. “… And if down the road, there’s an opportunity to go to 14, why wouldn’t we at least think about it?
“We are going to be a factor. We are going to be a P6 conference. I’m totally convinced we’re going to make it.”

The newsworthy item there is that the conference could look to expand to as many as 14 football schools. Aresco noted that travel is less of a concern with football games taking place just once a week

Forget football expansion…the real story is a possible pausing of the BB season.

1 Like

why would it be paused? nothing has changed since the start of the season…

4 Likes

Cmon, please don’t start.

1 Like

I hope aresono has a guarantee if we’re expanding to 14 otherwise he is crazy.

Hey, read the article. Not my words.

1 Like

Mr. Aresco has been largely ineffective in his tenure as AAC commissioner. Now suddenly talk of expansion? Unusual…

2 Likes

just find a replacement for UCONN, so we can go back to 2 six team divisions like before…

2 Likes

Finally, a conference expansion thread!

13 Likes

How has he been ineffective? What would you have liked to see done differently?

1 Like

I hope someone analyzes which teams are worthy of an invite from the 14-team AAC…

1 Like

If you look at how the AAC is setup, you look for teams in large TV markets which would be San Diego State, San Jose State (San Francisco metro) and UNLV. Of course a name brand like Boise State would fit also.

Some fans may want schools with high academics but I believe most fans and the AAC want programs that are competitive and/or add to the bottom line.

2 Likes

We’re at 11…to get to 14 I’d take Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame…but only if they are willing to take a reduced share of TV dollars as a sacrifice for us letting them water down our brand.

12 Likes

Are you sure we are open to taking a religious school like Notre Dame.

2 Likes

I was expecting the blow back to be about an academic heavy school like Bama.

1 Like

Only byu and boise merit expansion. The rest are garbage

BYU ain’t coming and Boise has fallen off and is a terrible travel partner

How about Nebraska? Where the N on the helmet stands for (k)nowledge. :smile:

8 Likes

Is SMU a religious school?

If wealth and pretentiousness is a religion then yes SMU is a religious school. If not, no SMU is like USC a once religious school.

3 Likes