AAC Football possibly expanding to 14 teams

If only 3, I’d add BYU + Boise + San Diego.

That would get the AAC in Utah, Idaho, & California.

2 Likes

I was hoping for more revenue from the TV deal. Plus the TV deal is longer than I would have liked.

1 Like

Don’t think of it as academics or competitive sports- think TV MARKET. Do you really think the Big 10 wanted Rutgers?

1 Like

Well, I believe ESPN offered $10.5 million per year per school when we were still part of the Big East Conference. His inability to negotiate with ESPN in a timely manner caused a bunch of schools to leave the Big East and caused ESPN to drop their offer from $10.5 million a year to something like $2.5 million a year per school!

That was one of the most terrible jobs I’ve ever seen done by a commissioner! He couldn’t get all of the conference members to stick to together and convince them the payout for every school would be greater if they would just stick together rather than separate.

1 Like

The travel partner argument is just internet blather. I stand by my statement. The only two programs worth getting are BYU and Boise.

Anything else diminishes an already shaky brand.

4 Likes

“Founded in 1911 by what is now known as the United Methodist Church, SMU is nonsectarian in its teaching and is committed to the values of academic freedom and open inquiry.”

However SMU is the parent school for the Perkins School of Theology which is located in Houston in the Methodist Hospital. It’s kind of like Harvard, Yale, and Princeton were founded as religious schools, they aren’t anymore.

The travel partner argument or location argument is meaningless for football. Boise State should be the target for football only to get back to 12

1 Like

Does Boise really add much? I really don’t trust them after they backed out and got the MWC to give them an unequal share

4 Likes

This would make sense if we had a tv network and we wanted it to be carried and packaged in populous regions. Since we don’t, it doesn’t really matter if our viewers are scattered about or heavily concentrated.

1 Like

I was thinking Aresco was not the commissioner when we turned that down. And by we, it was rumored that Georgetown and Pitt led the way on refusing that offer.

I could be proven wrong, but that’s what I remember.

1 Like

we should stay at 11 unless when we sign more teams, Espn makes us p6 and an auto bid or auto playoff spot.

Otherwise it just makes it tougher for the 11 now.

3 Likes

Do you mean “tougher” as far as payments to schools being reduced?

As far as athletic competition is concerned… It would benefit us for the conference to be tougher.

That’s a reasonable point. However, I want our 6 team divisions back.

6 team divisions was a good system.

The SEC has 7 team divisions.

Both could work.

3 Likes

would venture to say North Texas would get a hard look.

with smu already in the aac? zero chance

3 Likes

I just think if we add teams , we need some guarantees bc then our conf becomes tougher then a liberty or coastal Carolina goes 11 and 0 and sneaks past our best team that goes 9 and 2. Arseno needs to make a slash of guarantees this add. If no guarantees then just add 1 to get back to divisions which could help us go to the championship if we win the west.

2 Likes

Would rather La Tech.

I’m going to go with double hard pass

4 Likes

UNLV, B State and san diego state…assumes byu will say no

Boise has the pedigree, san diego and vegas solid markets and fun places to visit

2 Likes