AAC Football possibly expanding to 14 teams

I’m pretty sure I could get my bride to take a road flight to UNLV and probably San Diego; Boise? Not so much. The only roadies she likes in the AAC are New Orleans and Memphis; hence, I go to most solo.

It is still about TV and getting viewers- whether it’s ESPN FOX et.al. SDSU would be Pacific time too.

Looking for market that would probably get behind there team is UTSA

1 Like

No to UT anything

2 Likes

Yes…the Board of Regents of the UT system decides how much to invest into UTSA. That’s a hard No for me.

I’m not saying they are my first second or third pick but you guys have to consider geographical location of these schools.

We’re an east coast / central US conference. You’re talking about adding west coast schools? It just doesn’t make sense.

We’re already spread out enough as is.

1 Like

Not only do I not want Boise State in our conference, I never - ever - want to play them either, unless they change the color of their stupid football field!!!

5 Likes

San Diego state in both football and basketball is not garbage.

9 Likes

Having two divisions is the only reason I can think of for expanding. Without BYU there is no one left to create any kind of excitement

Lol.

As far as a national following they’re garbage.
They wouldn’t move the needle one click on the brand awareness scale.

In fact I’d bet less than 3 out of 10 sports fans you ask on the street wouldn’t know their mascot.

1 Like

SDSU was 30-2 in hoops last year. They made the NCAA in 2010, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 18 and were in for sure last year. Aztecs are 12-4 with a win over UCLA who leads the PAC 12. I’d take them just for hoops.

Their football has been decent and kicked our butts in the Vegas Bowl. Their stadium plans and loss of the Chargers make them more attractive than anyone in our conference outside of UC and UCF.

6 Likes

SDSU is our California twin.

City school with tons of potential but are stuck because there are already too many California teams in the PAC.

They have a good football and basketball team and are also the "Jordan school " representative of the MWC, as we are in the AAC.

I REALLY hope if we expand we go with the Western 3 pack of BYU + SDSU + Boise State.

That would make for a very strong conference

9 Likes

Doesn’t California have a rule that no state funds are permissible while traveling to some states? I wonder has this already been tested?

While California or even Nevada schools might be a good fit for our conference teams in the middle of the US, quite a few teams would be making coast to coast trips for games.

We would be the long haul conference. I think a team within 500 miles or so of the Mississippi River would be the best fit for Houston and the AAC

Can you see ECU travelling to San Diego for women’s volleyball. That’s only 5200 miles round trip.

that would be haul for sure. I was thinking of the Florida schools having to fly to California and visa versa. The flight from Tampa would be very long indeed.

The San Diego metro area has more than 3,3 million inhabitants. It also is rich: Rancho Santa Fe, La Jolla and Del Mar. SDSU is pretty good academically and still improving. The school would be a major get for us.

1 Like

Only if SDSU had all that rich backing and such. Otherwise it’s just a nice road trip.

Yeah, travel is too big a burden for SDSU as an all-sports member, and I doubt they join for football-only. The best the AAC could hope to get would be three of BYU, Boise, Army, and AFA for football-only. Might consider VCU or St. Louis for basketball.

That’s a hard NO to any more military schools.

While I appreciate the Naval Academy…their players and students and what they do for our country, we need to continue to focus on large schools, in new markets with growing fan base.

There is an AAC forum i frequent and there is really a sense of family among the members. They wish us well when we are doing well, and vice versa, they debate topics and how to better the conference…rarely do I see a passionate Navy fan there…they are just a different type of fan.

I’d consider BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State as examples of schools aligned to what our conference wants to become.

Army and Air Force should not be considered. Would be a huge mistake!

5 Likes