After watching Cougar Football for a billion years

I don’t know why I am surprised and upset about yesterdays game. Yet I am surprised and upset.

Every year, no matter who the coach is, we have a game like this. Go ahead and pick a year. Other than 1979, there is always at least one game when we don’t show up. There is always at least one game that you walk away madder than all get out, because we got beat by a inferior team.

I don’t have an answer.

It is hard to be a Coog.

11 Likes

That is the answer , it’s hard being a Coog … had to explain that to three boys growing up die hard coog fans …

2 Likes

You are right. I remember in 1978 we went to L.A. and beat UCLA and then lost to Memphis State. Football is emotional and mental. It’s hard to stay up 12 weeks in a row.

2 Likes

I have to agree…consistent pattern… Coogs can’t stand too much success… ranked in top 25 one week, lose next game… feels like this has been happening more frequently in the last few years.

Exactly it is the Coog way to lose to an inferior opponent every year no matter who is the coach. We also do it in basketball and baseball as well.

Being a long-time Coog fan has made me bipolar. It’s awesome, I hate it…

5 Likes

In the history of Cougar football we have never gone undefeated in conference play.

1 Like

I wasn’t surprised that we lost. I was surprised how we lost. Our defense has been a problem most of the year but our offense scoring 7 points and getting only 5 first downs in the first half is just amazingly bad.

3 Likes

I didn’t grow up a Coog, was raised an LSU fan. Don’t know much about UH football history other than stories about the Yeoman years. I will say this, there’s no excuse for being so atrocious on defense, especially pass defense. UH has some good talent on that side of the ball, probably better than most teams in our conference, and I can’t believe they’re this bad.

The answer is the ability to get opposing offenses off the field more times than not. Not sure if the problem is with D’Onofrio or incompetent DB coaching.

2 Likes

DB coaches report to D’Onofrio…

And they could be reporting “oh yea coach we’re ready to roll!” when they know full well they’ve done a piss poor job of preparation. The entire defensive staff needs an overhaul.

The only excuse I can make for the DB coaches is the defensive scheme may put them at a disadvantage. I can’t stand how we give wideouts an 8-10 yard cushion on almost every play.

We lost the opener at Memphis State that year, 17-3. Ugly game. We then went on to beat #10, #6, #9, and #6 before losing late on the road to Tech and collapsing in the Ice Bowl. So after Memphis State we lost two games, each by a point.

Yes it is hard to be a Coog 1990 at Texas

That game ripped my heart out. I was there, just trying to watch the game, a-hole texas fans throwing plastic spoons at us, demanding to see our tickets, just being generally ugly to us, for no reason.

It is tough to be a Cougars fan, but it feels so good when we smite the arrogant, so I guess it’s worth the inevitable heartbreak. Just go down fighting, and be prepared.

2 Likes

How many teams go undefeated every year? 1 maybe two? Other teams have good players and sometimes they make better plays. Problem is people still read the name on the jersey and think oh UH should beat that team just because.

1 Like

Sometimes you think you should beat a team because they stink to high heaven.

Scholarship athletes on both sidelines every week.

1 Like

I’m starting to think I would make money by betting the money line when we are a road favorite. Yeah, I’ll probably lose 4 or 5 bets, but the one I’d win would make up for it.

3 Likes

You know if you start doing that, the Coogs will win every game that they are a road favorite afterwards…:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

How would you make up for it losing 4 and winning 1? Unless you drastically increase the bet size each weak to compensate for the loss.

UH is 2-2 vs the spread as a road favorite this year.

They are 26-35 vs the spread as a road favorite since 1992.