Another reason why I dislike Rice

If you want to criticize Rice for not subsidizing with student fees to the extent we do, or not getting more donations from alumni for sports, or not generating more revenue, that’s all fine.

But the size of their endowment is a non-sequitur. That has nothing to do with athletics unless I guess you want to say they could pass on more student fees because they get a lot more revenue for the school’s operating budget from their endowment, but the student fees thing really isn’t great.

1 Like

The only good reason to play them in anything is that:

1. It is another home game for us (whether here or there), and,
  2. Saves on the travel budget
1 Like

Stanford has it figured out…from the SFGate.
Granted, the article is a few years old, but the overall athletic support has increased.

“Stanford has won nine consecutive Sears Directors’ Cups as the nation’s pre-eminent Division I athletic program. Having the money to support all those successful athletes sure helps maintain that lofty standing.

Stanford has by far the largest athletic endowment among the 30 major universities that responded to a four-month study conducted by Bloomberg News.

The school’s $270 million sports fund – part of a $7.6 billion overall endowment – is more than twice the amount collected by Notre Dame, which came in second in the ranking at $130 million. Cal is ninth at $30 million.”

The athletic endowment, funded by donors and boosted by investments in stocks, bonds and real estate, supports 35 varsity Cardinal programs, mostly by paying for scholarships to attend a school at which tuiti

Have you ever known someone who actually paid tuition at Rice? Everyone I’ve known that attended Rice was on academic or athletic scholarship?

1 Like

Rice’s endowment has nothing to do with my dislike of them; their underhanded actions against UH over the years are. What they charge their students, how they spend their money, or anything else not directly affecting UH doesn’t enter into the equation.

4 Likes

Yes, several. It is expensive.

Whether it is worth it, is another matter.

[quote=“red80, post:25, topic:23135”]
Rice’s endowment has nothing to do with my dislike of them; their underhanded actions against UH over the years are.
[/quote]
My thoughts - ex.act.ly.!

1 Like

Rice is my 2nd favorite school and has been since I used to go out to Rice Stadium as a kid. It’s the best school in the state, the Southwest, and arguably the South. I hope they start winning again.

1 Like

I stand somewhat corrected. I didn’t realize those schools had set aside sports endowments.

However, I’m guessing anything those endowments have invested in are probably generating substantially less income than normal this year.

So regardless of whether it’s in line with their institutional mission, I guess Rice could have carved out a $100 million dollar or whatever sports endowment to hopefully generate an extra $5 million to $10 million in revenue for their sports programs each year. However, endowment revenue plus other revenue would still be down substantially this year. So they’d still have to adjust their budgets and the AD would be saying the exact same thing he did in that clip.

Sam, I agree with you. A strong Rice in all sports does nothing but help college sports in Houston, both from a competitive stand point and press coverage. Regardless of the sport, they always bring their A game against us. And unfortunately, they are successful more times than I like. I wish they would develop their programs to the extent that they would be that competitive consistently and be nationally relevant.

My original point, which I could have made clearer, is that it Rice could do so much more to make this happen. Hence my dislike for the program as is. Other reasons as well, they so often seem to want to work against us, instead of trying to cultivate a true city rivalry.

They could make that happen by following the Stanford model, even if on a smaller scale. The funds are there.

Would love to hear your story bro!

It happens. My live-in girlfriend got her Masters from Rice. To say she is tolerant is an understatement. :sunglasses:. It’s been a process, but she now has more UH gear than Rice.

Of course though, I have no idea what she says behind my back!

2 Likes

Well, considering how Rice kept us out of the SWC for decades, it should be hard for ANY good Coog to like Rice.

Can’t really fathom how any good Coog would like them in the face of that.

As far as academics go, Rice is an extremely selective undergrad school, but I knew Rice grads in law school at UH, and I gotta be honest: they were nothing special for the most part. No better than the grads of any other school that had graduates there.

At least one Rice grad that I know from my law school class at UH in 1997 failed the TX bar exam on the first try; he and I were in the same bar review course and took the same bar exam.

I’ve also seen Rice grads fail to gain admission to UH Law Center and end up at lesser law schools.

Undergrad degrees, including Rice undergrad degrees, don’t mean jack as far as I’m concerned. I’m a firm believer that ALL Bachelor’s degrees are about the same.

Given that, I don’t exactly get bowled over when I hear that someone has a Bachelor’s degree from Rice.

3 Likes

It’s kind of like a star rating thing. The average LSAT (or GMAT, GRE, MCAT, or whatever) for Rice students is probably higher than UH students. But plenty of UH students do better on those exams than plenty of Rice students. UH law school admissions are likely selecting students with similar LSAT scores so the student quality in terms of law school academic ability should probably be pretty much the same regardless of where they went to undergrad.

2 Likes

I like my Rice fried or or steamed with vegetables and meat! Oh, you meant Rice University…

2 Likes

Yes sir, I agree. Degrees are fine when you are seeking want you want to get that in…however, what you learn after you finish, is what counts in the practical world.

3 Likes

My doctor told me to stay away from rice. It has 40 grams of carbs per serving compared to potatoes which have 20. He told me to stay away from potatoes and bread also.:frowning:

4 Likes

Was a groomsman in my freshman roommate’s wedding. She was his cousin. At the reception, his mother grabbed each of by our arms and the rest was history.

Double major: EE and fashion design. Weird, but fun girl - wicked smart and good looking. Made her own clothes. Dated her while I was getting my undergrad at UH. We were definitely on different wavelengths.

1 Like

I’m showing my age but I went to Rice games when I was young and they were good. They even drew decent crowds. Saw them in the Bluebonnet Bowl lose to Kansas and John Hadl.

1 Like

I hear you, Butch, and I bet you’ll always remember those games. My dad started taking us out to Rice in the 70s. I was there for the first UH-Rice game, the Rice-Aggy game when the MOB was stuck in the locker room, for national champion Notre Dame in ‘73, etc.

1 Like