Another reason why I dislike Rice

We need a local, accessible, relevant, and despised rival until things change. Rice could fill that need.

1 Like

I could catch the bus and be at Rice Stadium in a jiffy. Saw Rice play quite a few games in the early '60s but lost touch when I became a Coog fan.
That Kansas team I referred to was a very good team, with Hadl at quarterback and a big, strong running back named McClincock(SP), who would have probably been a first round draft but came down with cancer his senior year.
I go back to the Walter McReynolds and Chuck Lattorette days. One of my junior high coaches was former Rice player Milam Schverak, who happened to have a brother named Donny playing for the Coogs lol.
I can remember in the '63-64 season at a school dance I spent most of my time with Milam as he was listening to the Coogs play the Aggiesā€¦great memoriesā€¦

2 Likes

When I was young teenager , my older brother took me to watch Rice and Tommy Kramer a few times. Man had quite an arm n of course when on to have pretty good career in NFL.

Well, as far as Iā€™m concerned, we have the despised part down with Rice.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw him play a few times in the 70s. Just an incredible passer. The program overall was pretty strong (middle of the pack SWC team) up until around 74, around the time Kramer got there, but started to slide after that.

1 Like

I had 3 cousins and 2 neighbors go to Rice for football - the parents were more excited than them.

Iā€™m possibly going to Virginia Tech next year.

The state of Virginia does have hatred towards Rice :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew Chuck Lattorette before his wife blew him away. Thereā€™s a lot to that story that never came out.

1 Like

It was more Jess Neely than Rice. He wanted to own the Houston Market and UH was a just an obstacle. The Stadium was supposed to be used by both teams but Neely kept the best dates for Rice and UH got the leftovers.

Delmar, thatā€™s like saying it was Tojo, and not Japan, that bombed Pearl Harbor.

Actually, Germany bombed Pearl Harbor.

2 Likes

And you are on Double Secret Probation.

2 Likes

There was a lot more to it than that. The stadium was first named Houston Stadium; it was supposed to be shared with UH, and it was supposed to be a ā€œmunicipal stadium,ā€ used for all kinds of purposes; it was built with donations from the whole city, but the stadium was built on Rice property. Shortly after it was opened, Rice changed the name to Rice Stadium.

And then they began to impose all kinds of restrictions for UH to use the stadium: we could not play a game at any time on a weekend when Rice was playing in Houston that weekend; we could not schedule a game with any opponent that Rice was playing in Houston that year.

With those restrictions on use of the stadium, we could not complete our schedule for any year until Rice completed theirs. And - - they were very slow to announce their schedule every year!

And I have not even mentioned the Great Betrayal by Rice over our admission to the SWC!

Yes, I have a long memory, and I do hold grudges. I hate Rice!!!

6 Likes

Donā€™t stop him, heā€™s on a roll.

I really cannot find it in my heart to hate a team that hasnā€™t beaten us since I first stepped on campus nearly a decade ago. Theyā€™ve had like three good seasons in the last half-century. I see SMU as a much stronger rival than Rice. Everything from Dallas is easy to hate, especially when they have a pesky habit of just demolishing us out of nowhere and ruining our season.

There are plenty of good reasons to hate SMU as well.

Butā€¦

a) SMU never conspired to keep us out of the SWC, or make it difficult for us to use what was supposed to be a municipal stadium, UNLIKE Rice,

ANDā€¦

b) SMU isnā€™t right in our own backyard, the way that Rice is; stabbing us in the back as a next door neighbor.

Given that, itā€™s easy to see why a lot of us hate Rice moreā€¦and really canā€™t understand ANY true blue Coog ā€œlikingā€ Rice.

We can barely understand why any true blue Coog wouldnā€™t hate Rice, and certainly canā€™t understand why any true blue Coog would ā€œlikeā€ Rice, in the face of all that.

2 Likes

No, all they do is turn their noses up to ā€œCougar Highā€ and call us Cougroes to our faceā€¦lol

4 Likes

Butch,

To be honest, I donā€™t like either of them.

But I hate Rice somewhat more, for the reasons mentioned, and, as I said, canā€™t really understand any Coog ā€œlikingā€ Rice.

3 Likes

I hear you Lawā€¦but since we really donā€™t play Rice much anymore, my distaste for SMU has grownā€¦I still remember them stomping on our midfield insigniaā€¦really irked meā€¦I do believe they hate us more than Rice doesā€¦but bottom line is both look down on usā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget they didnā€™t want to help us while the Fertitta Center was being built but TSU did!

1 Like