Another Top Prospect to sign with G League

This is a new program called the NBA G League Pro Path. This is not the standard G League that players go to that do not get drafted.

The G League Pro Path are players who are not eligible for the draft but are elite 5 star players. This program just started 2019-2020.

The G League initially offered players $125K but they got no takers since college boosters can offer players that amount so the G League increased it to $500K.

https://gleague.nba.com/professionalpath/

1 Like

The thing is that while you’re getting a quicker payday. The media and brand prospect you can get during college is worth the risk to some. It’s the difference between +/- another 500k. Plus there’s also the experience and growth you can have in a year. It humbles some.

If you don’t have elite players, then you don’t have future superstars. Are you suggesting Zion would not have been a top pick if he went to the G-League for a season instead of Duke? You could make an argument that players are more likely to get exposed versus the easy conditions of college, but another argument can also be made that they will be better players getting developed by NBA people instead of playing college.

The fact that RJ Hampton is still expected to be a middle of the first round pick after a pretty disappointing performance in Australia tells me that NBA teams wouldn’t care if one of these guys doesn’t kill in the G-League at 18. You can go all the way back to Brandon Jennings who averaged 5 ppg in Italy shooting 35% and still was drafted 10th overall. Most top Euro players who get drafted 1st round (other than Doncic) aren’t putting up big numbers in top leagues. Its all about potential and teams can ignore 17 and 18 years old struggling against grown men.

3 Likes

Zion is not a good comp for the simple fact he was borderline famous before he played college ball. Duke definitely enhanced that. Also the kids going to the G league are playing on a select team together and will be lottery picks unless they are terrible. Jalen Green is a top 3 pick in 2021 no matter where he plays. This isn’t like Armoni going to the G league. They are handpicked future lottery picks given the option.

2 Likes

I don’t watch much of the NBA product so I am in the dark about the recent developments. So a HS senior cannot be drafted by the NBA but can go for $500k per season to the G League Pro Path to develop their game and try to exhibit that they are NAB/draft worthy? Who makes the determination that a HS player is G League Pro Path eligible instead of “just a guy”? And are the contracts guaranteed beyond 1 season?

Edit: Got my answer for who makes the decision from your link.
“Feaster, who had a successful 10-year playing career in the WNBA, will helm a group tasked with identifying those eligible players and overseeing the implementation of the professional path initiative.” Better play ball with Feaster’s task force or you go to the NCAA.

Sorry, until I see this “new G League” I am not convinced that players will be any better there than going to college. It is probably too soon to talk about this until we get a number of years from this to do a real study of which is better: College route or G League. We will see which is better in the coming years.

1 Like

How does the G League hurt college hoops? Aren’t enough fans sick of the one-and-done with NBA draft prospects posing as students for two semesters? Even if kids leave early, at least many began with the idea they’d be students, maybe even get a degree.

Players having outlets other than college is good. Talk about a leveler.

1 Like

How about the mockery these kids make of the college education? How many PE classes can one take in a fall semester before never going to class in the spring?

Since there one and done I don’t see as one route is better or worse its just another option. If you don’t have the right coach in college you may not develop in that one year spent in school.

Remember the kid from LSU a couple years back who reportedly never went to a class. College was a waste of time although I am sure the Tigers coughed some serious money to get him to Baton Rouge

Well we need to stop entitling these kid’s period. NBA should make these kids prove that they are capable of passing the standard classes all other students have to take. We know I’m this life, that is too hard to ask. We would rather to overpay people that can’t even take care of their own finances. If you are going too drop out, is it too hard to ask these kids to at least get to 90hrs or Jr year in College? Our society is truly messed up.

Not to worry, there are plenty of concerned people out there who will help them take care of their money !!

Ask Vince Young !

1 Like

The beauty of this great country is you can make as much $$ as somebody is willing to pay you. People in a walks of life cant handle finances which is why there is so much credit card debt. The nba guys over the last decade have been very responsible with there finances. If any sport that needs this talk is the nfl. Guys go broke within 3 years of leaving the league.

If I can make a million dollars mowing lawns coming out of high school why should I have to make zero dollars for a year at college so I can go mow lawns next year?

Why is it up to colleges to educate future millionaires that play with a ball?

There are only 2 professions I know that restrict people from making money right out of high school and use colleges for free to train their new employees. Football and Basketball.

It is silly that these for profit organizations use amateur athletics as their farm league.

Again, these “players” do not have to go to college. They can just bide their time, stay in shape, take their chances.

A guy graduates from HS and he’s really good with computers. No artificial barriers exist to him getting an IT job. Yeah, he may go to college and get his BS or get certified, but he can practice his profession based on his talent.

A guy graduates from HS and he’s really good at hoops. Yet (until recently) he would have had to leave the US to work as a basketball player if he didn’t attend college. How is that fair?

1 Like

Who said anything about fair ?

Companies have the right to chose their employees and set their own requirements.

The courts have ruled !!

Uhh
 Yeah, that is kind of what this whole thread is about

Ben Simmons. I remember Chicken Knowles outplaying him when LSU came to Houston.

2 Likes

For sure Zion increased his brand value by much more than $500k by playing a year at Duke than he would have playing in the G League.

1 Like