Another Top Prospect to sign with G League

Do you really think the one and done kids are college educated. If they actually go to class, do you think they are taking business administration, quantum physics, or engineering? They are doing enough in the fall to stay eligible for the spring semester and once basketball season is over, so is their “college education.” Doing enough in the fall may even incorporate phantom classes, like at UNC, or other enhanced assistance.

Did not say that. My preference would be that all of them go 4 years or at least 3 years to their Jr year or 90 hrs. We (or rather their parents) are making it worse on their own children not allowing them to go to college. This is a disservice to these young men. Sorry, I will have to agree not to agree on allowing kids to skip college to go straight to the G League.

Why is college such a benchmark? Why not make them learn to be plumbers for 9 months and then play in the nba? What does 30 or 60 hours of college actually do for someone?

1 Like

I see you are not concerned about players not finishing their education, that is fine. If that was some one in MY Household, That would be a requirement, period. I can’t speak for others and their families. Yes, I hate seeing kids not completing their education. By your standards, why go to High School? They are doing the same thing you are saying if we send them to college. Not every player will become Lebron or Kobe. There must be a plan if it don’t pan out or an injury force you out.

1 Like

We are talking about the one and doners. We are also talking about you g men making a living in Europe or Asia. Being 18 making 50k a year is not something that should be looked down upon. Lots of kids make less than half of that in Iraq.

Education is important if the kid wants to be educated. We sometimes have a prejudice against kids who don’t attend college. And that is a shame because I know a lot of great landscapers, electricians, plumbers and more that I would never look down upon because they didn’t make it through college or even try.

3 Likes

Who said anything about looking down on people? Where did I say that? I encourage as many as I could to go to college. I know plenty that are doing really well without college. I do not care for new G League thing, and that is just my opinion about it. I will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Cannot disagree.

I have always had an issue with those who contend that college athletes on scholarship are not being rewarded.

2 Likes

I think some have missed that the NBA G League pro path pays for a 4 year university education when and if a player wants it.

“The thing that appeals to me most (about the G League opportunity) is preparing myself for the NBA. That’s the ultimate goal - to get to the NBA. At the same time, I’m not missing out on school because (the program) is paying (for tuition).”

Green revealed the select team will be based in Los Angeles.

"I know that I will be in LA with a (newly-formed G League) team. One of my close friends, (fellow high school player) Isaiah Todd is going to be joining me.

“If you get an opportunity like this, take it. They are paying for your schooling so you can go back and finish that if that is a big thing for you. You are going to have training, all the tools in your backyard. It should be the best opportunity for any high school player chasing (an NBA career). We’ll be playing with NBA players so we’ll be challenged to improve our basketball IQ and work ethic and get stronger.”

3 Likes

Ummm. 53,000,000 Americans make 18k or less. You don’t have to travel around the world to get some abstract non-number.

1 Like

You may have missed the point.

1 Like

Military.

1 Like

We have 1.3 million in our combined armed forces branches.

True and the top guys who go in top rounds normally opt for baseball.
It will be interesting to see how this works out

I’m okay with the G-League and happy for it.

For one, it doesn’t affect UH.

And two, it levels up the playing field.

Three it only involves like the top 5 or 6 players who will take the bag :moneybag: and are truly no doubt NBA talents.

1 Like

This G League pro path player doesn’t have to worry about being disciplined by the NCAA for being paid for his autographs.

I think this guy is doing it right by capitalizing off his own brand $$$, rather than let Duke or Kentucky make millions off him.

A deal that had been reported to be virtually complete in April is now official. The player who could well be the NBA’s number one draft pick in 2021 has an autograph deal with Upper Deck.

Jalen Green, a west coast phenom who spurned college to join the NBA’s new pathway program via the G League, has a multi-year agreement for autographs and trading cards.

1 Like

Bingo. He looks like a stud!!! Just twerking up his game now and has improved since spring on his ball handling.

1 Like