Any chance Grimes returns? (Update: Grimes Declares for NBA Draft)

I believe that Quinton’s Mother works in the Financial Planning arena.

Analysis: If one foregoes 2021-2022 NBA $money does one make up that lost year via a higher salary beginning in 2022-23?

its depend… if grimes was guaranteed to be late second this year and knew he’d be a lottery/top 24 pick next year…the financial decision is to comeback

late second tend to get two way deal- while 1st round draft picks have guaranteed minimums by rule…if he is drafted in the 1st round he is a guaranteed millions, 4mil per year type money… late second round he could be put on a 2way, the max salary he could get ona 2way is 400k…

but its never that simple, grimes isnt guaranteed to be a late 2nd this year … grimes has way more draft hype at the end of the season than any UH player under sampson (including Dot)…dot built his hype in the combine, hinton built his hype in the post season… grimes can work his way into the 1st this year in the offseason…our players have a history of moving up when the offseason starts

grimes draft stock could get worse if he came back…theres a higher chance his stock falls than rises with age… if he is sub 37% from 3 next year, he’d likely be stuck with just a camp invite/summer league

The deadline to declare is May 30th.

All will be revealed.

The NBA talent evaluators know who he is and he just had a great season. It’s unlikely he comes back and does something that makes them feel differently. If anything, the downside risk probably outweighs the upside.

It makes little sense for him to stay unless he just really wants to play another year at UH.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of this deal where people on the board criticize our players just because they want those guys to come back.

Grimes did everything he needed to do this year to prove he’s an NBA player. He’s got good size and strength, shot 40% from 3 and 79% from the line, defends well, decent handles, good athlete, rebounds well for his position. He looks much more like an NBA player right now than Nate did last year. Grimes was smart to come back this season, but he’s ready now if he wants.

I’m guessing he goes early second round and gets a two way at worst or maybe even a guaranteed deal. If he waited a year there would probably be a lot more downside than upside.

He got us to a final four and made third team all-american. If he wanted to come back I’d of course welcome him with open arms, but we should appreciate what he did for the program if he doesn’t.

14 Likes

For real. I think most people assumed Grimes would be a one and done in Houston. We ended up getting two years out of him, a ton of wins, a conference championship, and a final four. Hes earned his place in Cougar lore, now let him ride off into the sunset.

12 Likes

We’re a Final Four program. And Final Four programs lose people.

5 Likes

If a guy is projected I doubt CKS would expect him to come back for another year. Coach has said in the past as we recruit better players we are going to lose some to the NBA its just the nature of the beast.

1 Like

If the professionals conclude that he should go pro, then he should go pro. He has done all for UH that honor requires. I hope his future is full of professional championships, acclaim, happiness, and wealth. Best of luck Q.

5 Likes

Spot on right here. I don’t think he can get any hotter shooting from 3 than what he has been the last two months. An extra year of age is viewed as he has less potential so probably more to lose coming back. He is a legit 3 point shooter who is rated as an excellent defender. I’m about sick and tired of the term “3 and D”, but he fits it very well.

3 Likes

Pretty sure he said he hadn’t made up his mind so it wouldn’t be a distraction for the team. He will tell everyone on his time.

2 Likes

I’m sure CKS will point him in the right direction…

He has definitely made up his mind

“I have made up my mind that I am unsure.”
And…no interviews, please.”

3 Likes

And like I said…oh NM

Dean Smith used to promise recruits two things:

1. I’ll schedule one game near your home so your family can see you in Tarheel blue.

2. When you’re ready for the NBA I’ll not only encourage it but I’ll facilitate it.

I used to hate Smith because I thought he was a grifter. Now he just seems like a great coach ahead of his time.

2 Likes

I’ll give you good odds if you’d like to make a friendly wager :slight_smile:

He’s gone! Nothing else to prove. Can he shoot better overall, yes but he’s more ready than Hinton or Brooks when they left.

3 Likes

I heard some TV analysts comparing Grimes to Klay Thompson.

Not a bad comparison, I think. Grimes doesn’t have to be Curly Neal to earn a spot in the NBA–not many are.

2 Likes