Are former AAC coaches regretting their Power 5 decisions?

no, he thought he could win a Natty at UT, which has been shown now he can not at UH, UCF has proven that going undefeated and not sniffing the playoffs

I think these coaches also have a goal of coaching at the highest level. If they don’t take the opportunity, then maybe they would never know and would always wonder what that is like? I think that is something that these coaches ponder, along with the pay raise.

2 Likes

Seem like winning the Natty at UT is just as impossible as it is at UH, doesn’t it?? Tom is no Mack Brown! And even Mack had a difficult time. Only 4 or 5 schools every year have a real opportunity to win it all over all P5s and G5.

1 Like

I don’t fault them for leaving for more money, I fault them for the way they left. They all quit on our team before the season was over and lying to us and the team while doing it.

15 Likes

Depends on your definition of impossible. At UH there’s seems to be no viable path forward into the playoffs that carrot is out of reach. For Texas, there is a viable path to the playoffs it goes through Dallas. Now to our joy they can’t get past the Sooners and seeing them suffer is quite enjoyable but if they have a special season they can compete for the natty, we won’t be anyone soon most likely.

1 Like

I realize it’s an apples to oranges comparison, but declining offers for higher salary seems to have worked out for Billy Beane.

2 Likes

There are lots of examples of coaches blooming where they are planted.

• Bill Yeoman
  • Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech was horrible before him).
  • Gary Patterson
  • Kirk Ferenz
    -Kyle Whittingham

In basketball there are tons of them.

If I had things rolling at Houston and I was getting paid 3-4 million per year, I wouldn’t move.

The facilities are good, recruiting is a day trip, the fan base isn’t crazy, Houston’s cost of living is low, my kids can go to school anonymously, my wife and I can go out to dinner without being hounded. It is not a bad gig.

9 Likes

Agree with that.

1 Like

You said it all
it’s HOW THEY CHOSE to leave us. Scumlin, Arty, and Hemroid all took turns crapping on our front lawn on the way out. And then they circled the block with a bullhorn to let everyone know they did it

A pox on all of them

6 Likes

He, Sumlin and Briles are perfect examples of the Peter Principle.

3 Likes

Well with Briles, it was other Peters that led to his demise.

9 Likes

James Franklin’s dream job was PSU. He was coach of the year in 2016. He’s about to be fired.

Montgomery at Tulsa was close to being fired before this year.

People think this is Holgorson’s dream job. Many wanted him out after the UCF loss.

2 Likes

BINGO!

5 Likes

Had we gone undefeated in 2016, we would have gone to the Playoffs.

We would have beaten TWO top 5 teams and completed a two year stretch where we only lost ONE game, and defeated many ranked programs along the way.

No doubt about it
that season would have been more impressive than UCFs undefeated season

8 Likes

Coog51, MontCoog, OldtimeCoog
nailed it above!!!

3 Likes

The AAC is a pretty good league in fb and bb and we’re paying our coaches well. I want a p5 invite but at least we’re in a good conf for now. I envision our conf becoming like the big East was with a top 10 team and 3 others in the top 25 on a regular basis. We’re close and if we’re not in the championship game this yr, I wish cincy the best to make some noise.

3 Likes

Well, there are many impatient, un-informed people on this fan site also.

3 Likes

And you risk your career chasing dollars. I get it, serious cash is really hard to pass up, at the same time
 If you love what you do
 chasing more dollars can ruin your career. And seriously, how much is enough? Herman had all he wanted here and we were going to almost match Texas money.

8 Likes

Take Yeoman away - the rest were in conference situations they could win a national title under the current format and past format

We should have kept the Big East name and not sold it. That name was valuable and the BB schools knew it. They should have a new name, not us.

2 Likes