Are former AAC coaches regretting their Power 5 decisions?

Yeah I wanted us to keep the big East name but arseno caved. It would have helped our brand. We’re getting there slowly. We have a chance and are becoming the salty league like the big East was. I’m pulling for cincy unless we play them in the championship.

1 Like

We are not the East.

2 Likes

Frank Beamer comes out of retirement to coach at UH XD XD XD

Just kidding. He’s a Hokie grad, and still works at VT. He had offers around the table but stayed at VT because he loves VT. If Case Keenum came back and coached at UH and took it to the winningest teams in the world and had offers around the table, he’d probably turn them down. Barrick Nealy (yes, I know how this board feels about him, but I know him personally lol) would probably stay at Texas State if it meant the same thing. He’s coaching under Dimel right now, he probably helped out a bit at Texas State while working at SMHS and SMA. Sentimental value is a big thing for some coaches I guess. If I ever took the Mike Leach route and got into coaching and UH had a job for me, I’d be here than anywhere else.

I don’t recall anyone asking for his firing.

1 Like

True, however, we are in SouthEAST Texas…SMU is NorthEast Texas…Tulane is in SouthEAST Lousiana…Tulsa is in NorthEAST Oklahoma…

4 Likes

We are west of the Mississippi River but we are still east of the geographic center of the continental United States.

2 Likes

I still say we should have taken the old Metro Conference name.

2 Likes

And we are East of The Continental Divide😃

1 Like

I think all of us hope that UH eventually joins a P5 conference; however, I think we have a while to go in football. Both from a gridiron performance and fan support perspective.

But right now, we are in a good conference, and we should focus on competing annually for the conference championship and scheduling P5 non-conference opponents. As the article in the thread states: “Whether you like it or not, the AAC’s closing the gap between themselves and the Power 5 conferences.”

3 Likes

I doubt any of their wives are regretting the bump up in pay.

1 Like

Well, if you’re a good AAC coach that is making $2 million a year or more you’re not exactly in desperate need of money! In Herman’s situation he was offered as much as $4.5 million a year to stay and he still thought that was beneath him! That isn’t moving on because you needed the money, that is just greed and being selfish with no regard for the contract that you have just signed and letting your players and fans down!

We fired Tony Levine several months after signing an extension. Were we doing the same as Herman?

I’m not here to take up for Tom. He’s the worst. But this goes both ways.