Arizona 2018 Ticket Count

Better to keep the ticket release limited to make sure the students don’t wait to act, make it sound even more exciting when the students claim the 2nd allotment in 24 hours and also keeps more tickets for people buying single game tickets. I like the approach.

6 Likes

Agreed. There is no way we are going to turn away any student to this game, but doing 500 at a time builds hype.

6 Likes

Kevin Sumlin??? :joy:

3 Likes

Uhhh no don’t think so. They are counting seats available for purchase. Student section are not for general public to purchase so not part of 13k.
Now AD just took another 500 tiks that were available 2 purch n put them for students to claim. Just way I see it. May be wrong! :thinking:

We are saying the same thing. There are 13K seats available and the students aren’t going to dent that much. Only to the extent they exceed their 5K student section. Worst case right now is ~28K. Getting well north of 30K will require a heavy walkup which seems unlikely for an 11 AM start or an alum buying a big block of seats. We will see.

Enough with 11 a.m. game time. It has been set for a while nobody can change it. It is counter productive to keep bringing it up. With ifs we would be on Mars already. Enough with this non sense. We are a G5 we can’t have it our way. Deal with it. I consider it as a major failure that this game is not already sold out. This is on our ticket office, marketing department and our athletic department. We do not play a P5 Team every week. What kind of message are we sending to the PAC12 with a home game against one of their program? Am I too harsh? No, we want to play at the same level? Let’s act like it. When a 90 years old gentleman or lady goes to an 11 a.m. there is absolutely no excuse that a ton of alums are not making this game. Enough with talking b.s. Our attendance translates into who we are. We have every means to change this perception.

7 Likes

:joy: I was thinking Khalil Tate

Lol There are fans complaining about a bunch of stuff…game start time, ticket office, seats left, CMA, CTH. Then there are “superior” fans who are chill, except when it comes to fans who complain. So they complain about the complaining fans. Well I’m going to 1up y’all and complain about the fans complaining about complaining fans. Y’all suck! So there im the biggest, bestest, badest, most superior Coog fan of all! Haha beat that! GO COOGS!

5 Likes

Funny that I went on a couple Arizona sites and found an attendance thread on one site that began in 2014. Yeah, they were surprised about last Saturdays attendance and credited BYU for the good crowd. No, it was not a sell out for the PAC12 Arizona season opener.

Even being in the PAC12 and being a P5 does not stop the continuing decline in attendance in college FB where the media controls the time and even date of when games may be played. Some Arizona fans will tape the game and watch it later since it will be on TV at 9:00am Arizona time.

Oh, and the “Wreck’Em Red” Texas Tech fan site, they have a long thread about the team and declining attendance. They have not beaten Oklahoma State in 10 years and have not beaten a marquee/ranked opponent since Kliff Kingsbury became HC. They are now becoming lower than the traditional Average Texas Tech football team. Many fans are expected to not attend this Saturday’s game because of years of mediocrity. Oh, and most Tech fans only agree on given wins against Lamar, Kansas and UH. Nice that what happened in last years badly coached O game with Tech at TDECU gives them some hope for a win.

This also highlights that the lower 75% of the P5 (which I would put zona in, no offense) does not move the attendance needle outside of their local area much at all. Those TV checks keep clearing though.

It’s all about season ticket sales and we lost a lot from last year instead of building…which is a function of losing to Tulane. Don’t want to lose season ticket holders? Don’t lose to Tulane.

We have to get to +20k holders. We were on a path but got knocked off it quickly. Should have priced them more conservatively until we hit that mark.

3 Likes

Yurachek got greedy last year as he was looking to move.

5 Likes

P5s don’t get it there way either. The OSU vs Michigan has been an 11:00 AM start for decades, maybe a couple of rare excetptions. The west coast gets later starts for home games because of their time zone. The elite P5s get preferential treatment from the networks for ratings. I think they try to have one marquee game for each time slot, 11, 3, and 7 each Saturday.

Me, if I’m not watching UH, I’d rather watch two unranked teams in a close game than watch Alabama blowout somebody.

3 Likes

Actually i think walk ups have been the casual Houston fan tradition. Back from the days we could never sell out the Astrodome. The casual fans could wait until game day and if there was nothing better to do, go to the game. Now days, the weather is the other thing to wait for. I believe if we aren’t having thunderstorms or thunderstorm warnings Saturday morning, we will easily have a 2k walk up crowd.

True; in 2015, we would get about 3K-4K walk-ups in the hours before gametime.

2 Likes

This is 100% correct, but as much as this game means to the UH fan base, it means nothing to the rest of the nation. The only pull for a national audience would be Ed Oliver v. Khalil Tate, which may be why it’s an ABC game as opposed to an ESPN2 game. But for a national audience, I can see why they put it in the 11AM slot. I just hope there are millions of eye balls on TV screens to see Big Ed put a beat down on Tate so our program can continue to get attention.

7 Likes

Who goes to watch the coach? People were coming to see Herman? This is a very talented team. It could be a whole helluva lotta fun this year.

And honestly I get tired of hearing the complaints about an 11 am kick on a Saturday when we’re on ABC. We have like three Thursday night games every year. Those are the ones we absolutely need to get rid of for the in town fanbase. It’s a pain getting there after work.

We just need to keep grinding. Hopefully the city of Houston figures it out one day. It’s a very underrated venue with a pretty great atmosphere (when filled).

2 Likes

Probably no one, but it can affect the product on the field. If a coach has a team fired up, plays exciting football, and winning games, fans want to come out. Conversely if under a coach a team comes out flat and undisciplined, plays boring vanilla football, and is mediocre losing games they shouldn’t, the coaching drives away fans

2 Likes

ESPN loves to put P5-AAC (P6) games on in that slot early in the season. With so few marquee matchups early in the season, especially after Week 1, P5-AAC games tend to be some of the more intriguing games…especially because the AAC wins more than half of them. End up doing pretty good ratings, too.

2 Likes

I get that. I guess I was responding to the comment about the coach being vanilla with no charisma. We were going to have a bit of a down year after losing so many commits to Texas with the coaching change. We just didn’t have the depth.

This is a very exciting roster yet again. It’s never been about the coach. Briles, Sumlin, Herman…shit even Levine did a pretty good job recruiting even if the results on the field were lacking. Losing hurts for sure. And maybe Applewhite isn’t the answer long term. But blaming him for not coming up with a cool catch phrase is lame.