Armoni pursues his NBA dream

Overseas money ain’t terrible. And there are some fun leagues over there. I know they all want to play NBA but there are a lot of opportunities to get big minutes in Europe…and the off season is to die for.

But you are far from home.

3 Likes

Very unfortunate for Armoni. I thought it was strange that he stayed in the draft but was hoping the best for him.

Should have hung around for another year…

4 Likes

Now Dats Da Fak Jak!!

First off Thanks and congratulations to Corey! Galen, Landon ( loved seeing him chunking away at it) and Breaon, it’s been a helluva ride. Lets hope Mr. Robinson get’s a gig. Now for Armoni, same love,thanks for being a Coog. No hard feelings on him leaving early. There are many opportunities besides the NBA for a player of his caliber to make money doing what they love. I do believe that in the right situation he will eventually play in the NBA. What I don’t like is the parasites that feed off of these young athletes, they put a ton of thoughts, not all true, in 18 to 21 year old’s minds. I am in no way saying this happened to AB, his family is solid and they were involved in the process. Here’s hoping that we continue to have guys that are good enough to come in and give us a couple of great years and move on to solid NBA careers. That’s is a part of what it takes to be a National Contender year in and year out. EATEMUPCOOGS!

6 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I’m thinking the main reason Armoni didn’t get drafted was his free throw shooting. So many GMs have said FT% is a better indicator of nba shooting ability than 3P% and he was so poor from the line this year as a guard whose main asset is his shooting. Another year in college with improved FT shooting would’ve gotten him in the 2nd round next year, I have no doubt. His measurables were fantastic and he could be a solid 3-and-d player at the next level. Hopefully he gets another shot in the future because I don’t think his time is now.

he wasnt on any draft board at all…that alone wont drop you that far

Statistical analysis from the Kevin Pelton’s of the world indicates that it, which is largely because there’s a small number of 3’s so it can vary. But most smart front offices aren’t riggedly beholden to simple regression analysis like that without adapting and evaluating on a case by case basis.

I’ve explained this before on this board, but I don’t think this premise is at all applicable to Armoni. For one thing, he doesn’t get to the line much and he shoots a lot of 3’s, so the opposite is true with him (577 career 3PA’s vs. 83 career FTA’s) in that his FT% is more likely to be statistical noise than his 3P%. Also, his issues at the line last year were pretty clearly mental rather than some flaw in his mechanics.

The guy can shoot. There’s no doubt about that.

1 Like

i mean this in now way as disrespect to armoni…but this was a horrible decision

im just going to assume every thing he said in the podcast a week ago was correct…and he was “Betting on himself” and had no promise. that is such a bad logic to me.

how is that betting on yourself? they had already evaluated your film with no games left and said youd be undrafted, you didnt even make a single persons top 100 big board of hundreds of elevators (only 60 drafted)…he wasnt invited to the nba combine (top 70 players)…or the g league combine (next 40 players)…those are decided by the nba teams
was he betting on himself to impress teams in workouts…that is drastically overvaluing workouts and their ability to affect stock…

he only worked out with Washington last week…meaning whatever situation he got in now was after he decided to stay and had noting secured when he left …

PJ Washington said the exact same thing yesterday after he was drafted…that he had to “Bet on himself” but by coming back another year …(was given late second round grade last season, came back to prove he was better, now a top 1st round pick). THAT is betting yourself…
everything they say you cant do, comeback and show them you can…they say you are inconsistent/not aggressive enough come back and show them you are…you arent a good defender, bad a at free throws , cant draw fouls? whatever …come and prove you can do everything they say you cant…that is betting on yourself …numerous seniors were drafted, “senior” isnt a death sentence…
and i guarantee you he could have gotten summer league next season too…it makes no sense to me

4 Likes

I don’t think Armoni has the physical quickness needed for the NBA. It is no longer a
non contact sport and another year here would not have changed the athleticism
needed for the NBA. At the college level he had trouble getting around his man for the jumper.

His only chance was playing like Kerr did. Coming in as a sub and getting a quick trey. My
guess is that he was broke and had to leave. He was a great kid and I hope he catches a good
team in Europe.

Walk a mile in Armoni shoes… The fact is none of us know what he was told. He made it clear he was going through process. Something changed after that. Everything up to that point had him talking about playing as a senior.

4 Likes

Yall criticizing his effort here and him chasing his dream is crazy. Let the guy do what he wants everyone lives with their choices. Hopefully he becomes a star in the future along with corey.

2 Likes

no one is criticizing him for “chasing his dream”, we all want the best for him …if anything we are questioning the best way for him to get to his dream

2 Likes

like i noted, im just going to go by what he himself said in the podcast (a week ago) about what he was told…

Your not criticizing? Read your post, “horrible decision” “Bad logic”
At least owe up to your words

3 Likes

if you can say one thing about pesik, it is that he definitely tried to “walk a mile in his shoes” That’s his whole deal…trying to analyze how and why decisions are made. At least that’s been my observation.

2 Likes

i never denied i was criticizing…i am denying what you think im criticizing

criticizing his chosen path? yes

criticizing him chasing his dreams? no

in this very thread, i was very vocal that if he was given a promise, that its a no brainer, he has to leave…

1 Like

Kind of hard to do when you have no idea what has been said to him. It very easy from the outside to say “go back to school”, “Have better logic”. You can try to figure someone out, but that never compares to living their life.

3 Likes

i agree with what you are saying … my post was in context if “going by just what armoni said in the podcast” it made no sense to stay in

• which he said he was told by the NBA committee he wouldn’t be drafted, but had some positive feedback by teams that they could see him potentially getting drafted…and had some summer league offers…that he stayed in to “bet on himself” and felt he was ready…
1 Like

pesik 5/29 “sacremento has 2 late second round picks…i think armoni might land one of them…and they gave him a promise after evaluating him”
“if armoni was given any kind of promise to be drafted, he would be a fool to turn it down…
coming back only makes sense if you know for sure you are getting drafted regardless…that isnt armoni”
“i dot think he would about face without some kind of promise…or really bad advice from someone close to him”
"Armoni a few weeks ago was talking about winning a national championship …i highly doubt he would leave for the g-league
he can get g-league next season…

Sacramento is the only thing that makes sense to me… they have the 40th, 47th and 60th (last) pick…they last minute flew him in for a workout last week (he wasnt on the slate, but 5 hours before the workout they rushed to add him)…after the workout armoni was still saying he is coming back…my gut is telling me they called him after evaluating his workout and said if you are still on the board by the 60th pick, we’ll take you. something tells me they are looking for shooters (all the guards in that workout were shooters)"

pesik 6/2 “one week befoer he left, he said he was coming back, 2 weeks before that said he was 100% coming back … he knows his stock isnt high in the national media…i think he gets drafted becuase that was too quick an about face …”

Pesik clearly says that Armoni should go into the draft if he was going to get drafted.
He clearly says he thinks that Armoni must have gotten a promise of a draft spot.

Pesik endorses the joining the NBA draft if he got a promise of a draft position.
Pesik’s position is clearly 100% the opposite if he wasn’t given that promise.

that is the entirety of pesik’s board opinion of Armoni’s decision. It’s just a different opinion based on the information Armoni was basing his decision on.

1 Like

Did he ever sign with an agent ?