Armoni pursues his NBA dream

You guys are blowing this out of proportion. He is in the same exact situation he would have been if he was a late 2nd round pick. He is about to be in front of all 30 NBA team’s entire front office and scouting divisions.

As for coming back another year to get better, why not get paid and get better??? If he doesn’t show enough at Summer League to grab a training camp spot, he will certainly have a spot on a G-League team. The G-League is vastly improved so a majority of those teams have excellent player development and work hand in hand with the NBA affiliate. He will have more tools, resources, and time to get better as a pro vs as a student-athlete in college. If he gets a solid offer overseas, then he gets to start his career a year earlier. That would put him a on quicker timetable getting to high levels.

2 Likes

It just got harder for Armoni.

" Lipscomb shooting guard Garrison Mathews will sign a two-way contract with the Wizards, a league source tells ESPN’s Jonathan Givony"

“Mathews, one of the premier marksmen in the NCAA over the last four years, averaged 20.8 PPG and 5.5 RPG in his final season at Lipscomb, knocking down 3.2 threes per game at a 40.3% rate. The ASUN Player of the Year is set to claim one of the Wizards’ two-way contract slots for the 2019/20 season, per Givony.”

It just got harder for Corey.

" Washington has also agreed to deals with undrafted Virginia Tech guard Justin Robinson"

" Robinson, meanwhile, has agreed to a multiyear deal that will feature a “substantial” guarantee, says Charania. Interim GM Tommy Sheppard suggested that Robinson will likely end up in the G League with the Capital City Go-Go, but has a chance to stick with the Wizards, tweets Candace Buckner of The Washington Post. Robinson averaged 13.5 PPG, 5.0 APG, and 3.2 RPG with a .418 3PT% in 24 games in his senior season at Virginia Tech."

summer league pays less than most jobs…g-league pays about 50k for non stars for the season

g-league spots are also not guaranteed and are more cut throat than you think…
their are levels to being a rookie, which show the priority of making the g-league

• lottery pick
  • 1st round
  • 2nd round
  • multiyear UDFA contract
  • two-way 1 year contract (g-league contract, with stipulations on if you make the NBA roster)
  • Exhibit 10/Summer league contract <-armoni and corey
  • camp invite/summer league try-out

many on summer league rosters dont make any g-league roster…
if armoni spot on the g-league was secured a team would have given him a 2-way contract from the start…
armoni will be playing for his career this summer

Not really. Being a second round pick generally means being a higher priority for a team and you often get a partially guaranteed multi-year deal or at the very least a two way deal.

1 Like

Summer league is only per diem, G-League pays $35k for non two way players. I have represented players in both… Not trying to be a dick, but I know more about this than you.

you said he would be in the exact same situation if he was in the 2nd round than his current situation

that isnt close to reality…you might know more than me but that statement doesnt represent that knowledge then
you can argue multi-year udfa contract vs 2nd round…but a summer league contract?

1 Like

I said late 2nd round (because a separate argument is early 2nd round could be better than late 1st round). There is no requirement that NBA teams do anything with 2nd round picks, its not even a guarantee of a training camp invite. Sure, it would be a good sign that a team like Sacramento likes him a lot and currently sees him as more of an option if they drafted him #60. But it can be argued he has more leverage now if he plays well in summer league. If he sucks, either way he is heading overseas or will be entering the G-League draft.

Main point was about the people saying him not getting drafted shows it was a mistake to leave early. More risk coming back a year in college because if he doesn’t get better or gets hurt then he has no NBA shot out of the gate.

5 Likes

Are the Wizards still a Jordan school?

2 Likes

Late second round picks get better partially guaranteed deals than rookie free agents, or at least get two way contracts (that do have different issues). That’s not required, but that’s just how it works.

Only 1 player out of the last 10 picks last season got any guaranteed money (185k), 0 of the last 8 picks in 2017 (51 and 52 got deals after summer league). Those guys are going to end up fighting for that guaranteed money just like undrafted players. Sure, the averages probably end up with the late 2nd round guys getting more opportunities. That’s because they are usually the better players. If Armoni goes and kills summer league, he will have a training camp spot locked down and leverage for some guaranteed money.

Two way deals are a whole different story. Those were designed to benefit the teams, not the players. Getting signed early to one of those isn’t always the best move.

3 Likes

Thanks for the stats on the guaranteed money. Didn’t realize guys at the end of the second round weren’t really getting any. I had thought they were.

Two way deals have pros and cons. For the player it can be bad in some instances like with House this year. BUT if you are on a two way you make 77k while you play in the G League vs. 35k if you don’t have a two way deal. That’s significant. Plus you make a lot more while you are called up and teams have more incentive to call up one of their two way guys for a look than to sign a general G League guy to a 10 day.

3 Likes

I like Corey to flat out make the roster or a 2 way contract.
(Link from 2017 but I believe hasn’t changed)

Armoni’s best bet could be the Exhibit 10.

Armoni with a tough shooting night. Corey did not play and his competition Justin Robinson played well.

2 Likes

Hopefully it was just nerves but Armoni needs to be willing to dribble some or it’s not going to go well in summer league.

1 Like

Armoni +/- was 6! He had one of the best on the team.better than Caupain, admiral, and number '22". When he his on the court the team performed much better and were more organized.

3 Likes

I didn’t see a lot positive from that box score.

2 Likes

I think at some point in January your entire salary becomes guarenteed if you are on the roster.

Armoni just announced on Instagram that he is also launching a clothing brand. Now we just need Breaon Brady to launch one.

8 Likes

5ive5ouls (pronounced like “five fouls”) :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Why do these kids think anyone would buy thier clothes, they are not Michael Jordan

2 Likes