Armoni pursues his NBA dream

Galen’s been doing pretty well with his clothing line. Lanny Smith’s “Active by Faith” line has done exceptionally well (helps that Steph Curry is attached to it as well).

Thing is, clothing is such an easy way to make money. The production cost is extremely cheap and you can usually sell for a large profit per item. A manager at Target once told me that 80% of the store’s profits came from their clothing sales even though it was only 10% of the daily sales. Clothing usually only costs the stores a few dollars, but they can sell it for $15+. They often sold things on the other side for less than cost and took a loss in order to get people in the stores in hopes they’d buy clothing as well. Usually why clothes are the first thing you see when you go into those types of stores.

4 Likes

Armoni left too early…

The money pulls these kids in too fast

3 Likes

I agree. But UH wouldn’t have Grimes, tho. I’ll make that trade every time.

4 Likes

To early to say that imo. Grimes has a way higher cieling, but armoni was a proven commodity… Grimes still has to show his talent beyond potential

6 Likes

Early in his career, Armoni was streaky. Sometimes Armoni played like Versace. Sometimes like Victoria’s Secret.

4 Likes

Both of those are good lol

4 Likes

Even if Grimes doesn’t play this season?

If given the choice between 4th year Armoni and 2nd year Grimes I’d take Armoni without hesitating right now. Grimes has a ton of upside and if CKS molds him into a lottery pick that will be a great selling point in recruiting. However, Brooks was one of the best shooters in the country, an extremely good rebounder for his position, and had three years playing in this system. It’s also not a certainty that Grimes plays this season.

Grimes could of course get the waiver and have a monster year, though.

6 Likes

I am very excited about Quentin Grimes, but this is asinine.

Just like Kellen said in the podcast, Grimes probably would of been drafted had he stayed in the draft after his freshman season. Armoni wasn’t even closed of being drafted as a junior. His jumpshot was pretty solid no doubt but erratic/streaky. He was most likely going to be looked upon, early on, tho as the go to player. Knowing that his handles were suspect and had no slashing to his game, I think he would of struggle in that role Corey excelled in. I think the team’s upside is higher with Grimes.

When you are comparing a senior to a sophomore, where someone would go in a draft has limited correlation with respect to how productive they can be as a college player that year. Plus the college game is quite a bit different even for projecting similar aged players. Grimes is a better NBA prospect. No one has any doubt about that.

Cam Reddish wasn’t very productive last year but went 10th based on potential. Most college coaches would take many older players drafted after him on their team next year over Reddish (Kyle Guy, Carsen Edwards,…).

I would without hesitation project a more productive season out of Grimes vs. Armoni if Armoni was also going to be a sophomore and had the same freshman season that he did two years ago. I’m not going to do that when Armoni was the second leading scorer and the leading rebounder on a team that went 33-4 and coming back for his senior season.

2 Likes

I think as a team… UH can go further in the Ncaa Tournament with QG. Because Grimes has point guard skills and creating his own offense comes easier than Brooks. I think he’s more versatile on offense.

1 Like

I am aware of what Kellen said. I am the one who actually asked him that question about Grimes on the podcast.

You are selling Armoni drastically short.

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/1166381113654296576

It’s an Exhibit 10 deal.

4 Likes

I like the sound of this.
Brooks will have an opportunity to showcase himself to the Hawks, who make no bones about their love for shooters. As of now, Atlanta has an open roster spot on the 15-man roster, so Brooks has an outside chance of popping in preseason and earning that position.

3 Likes

Good for Armoni. Was getting worried that he wouldn’t land a camp deal. Hopefully, he can do well enough to land a 2-way deal.

2 Likes

Brooks played with the Washington Wizards in summer league and looked slated to spend training camp with them, but after a lackluster performance in Las Vegas, the Wizards went in a different direction. His primary skill is his three-point shot, which he hit at a 40 percent clip in three years in Houston, but he shot just 2-for-17 from distance in Vegas. From an NBA perspective, he brings little else to the table and was not on the draft radar for most teams. He worked out for the Hawks in the pre-draft process and apparently showed enough in that workout to offset his shaky play in Summer League.

Brooks will have an opportunity to showcase himself to the Hawks, who make no bones about their love for shooters. As of now, Atlanta has an open roster spot on the 15-man roster, so Brooks has an outside chance of popping in preseason and earning that position.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/MsquareTx254/status/1166448751709437952?s=20

Plain and simple, he should have stayed in school to complete his last year. That’s my opinion and I stand by it!

2 Likes