Art-Briles-visits-UH-practice

He graduated from Abilene Christian with M.Ed as well.

See my comments above about most Baptists, same thing. No principles. I graduated from Abilene Christian and heard the N-word more often there than any place else that I’ve been.

“Nepotism”?

2 Likes

Sorry you are right, the Hamilton report said 5% were committed by student athletes. It was the Title IX coordinator that said football player cases made up 10% of her work.

“Although Crawford has accused Baylor in prior media interviews of trying to say the university solved the whole problem by making changes within the football program, she has said there were specific issues within athletics, noting that football player cases comprised about 10 percent of her work and tended to be more violent, often involving gang rape. As a comparison, male student-athletes made up about 4 percent of the undergraduate male population at Baylor.”

To be fair, ACU isn’t Baptist affiliated. It’s Church of Christ kinda like the Baptists but no music in church.

Art Briles left us high and dry too…Chris Thurmond coached us against TCU in Houston Bowl game…and we lost 20 - 13.

1 Like

Not sure why this is a reply to my post. 78Coog pointed out that Herman, Sumlin and Briles all left the same way and NTX replied to him saying Sumlin and Herman stayed at OU and OSU for their bowl games. My reply was clarifying that Briles should have been part of his list.

Just adding…not accusing you of anything.

1 Like

I wonder how many of those 5% were the football team. 5% may be in line with the broader population if we are talking about all athletes but it wouldn’t be if most of those were the football team.

The 10% number seems to be pretty telling.

In addition to anything else, this makes AB a fraud and professional failure. The topics of ethics and morals in his pedagogy and as demonstrated in his leadership were completely absent.

Notwithstanding the religious righteousness he wears on his sleeve when it comes in handy.

1 Like

Coaches moving on isn’t the problem, it’s the inglorious way they often do it that shameful.

3 Likes

Not only that, this way it’s being done is relatively new. In the past, HCs typically didn’t leave in this manner. This is largely a product of the caste system and arm’s race that began with the BCS.

Yep, and it won’t change for UH or any other university until the NCAA clamps down on the problem. Every coach that leaves one school for another is trying to feather his nest at the new school as he’s leaving the old. Getting to the new gig asap and taking as many quality staff members and recruits they can get their hands on is all about winning … and they don’t care if it’s at the old school’s expense. It happens every year, everywhere.

1 Like

Your’e right

I don’t think it would be as big of a deal IF Sumlin, Herman and Briles had bailed before bowl games to come to UH. UH gave all three their first DIv IA head coaching jobs and yet they remained at their assistant jobs. Yet when going from G5 to P5, they bail early. It’s basically saying, being a P5 assistant in a bowl game is more important than being a G5 head coach in a bowl game.

3 Likes

Good point. Question … all three were coming to UH as assistants enroute to first HC job? Were all three filling positions of coaches that were fired?

Briles replaced Dimel who was fired.
Sumlin replaced Briles who left for Baylor HC job
Herman replaced Levine who was fired.

After reading posts on this and the other sites, I’ve come to the conclusion that it was a good thing the woman caught in adultry was brought to Jesus and not some of these guys or the broad would have been a goner.

3 Likes

True Mike, absolute truth. Some folks seem too willing to cast stones without having all the facts.

2 Likes

Quote: I don’t think people are going to protest Art just being around the program, he has no official capacity here.

Not sure I agree.

I’m protesting.

Moreover, he was apparently at a practice that wasn’t open to the general public in an “insider” sort of way.

It caused the media that was present to take notice, and appropriately so. The guy isn’t welcome anywhere in the North American football establishment, even in the CFL.

Why then was he welcome HERE???

If the coach at Rape U. had showed up at anyone else’s practice, we would, justifiably, be HAMMERING THEM for it.

Why would we expose ourselves to a similar hammering by being the one place in the entire North American football establishment where Briles isn’t persona non-grata?

I have no problem with Briles being at any event open to the general public, and naturally, we’re an open campus, so there’s no reason to bar him from campus.

But to put him in a practice not open to the general public as an “insider.” NEVER!!!

If he wants to visit with his son, he can visit with him before or after practice, and spare us the negative publicity/perceptions.

4 Likes