Art

To paraphrase a famous philosopher . . . . . “99 percent . . . and the other half”

I don’t have the necessary information to intelligently say if AB was culpable in anything at Baylor. However, it’s a fact that he bailed on us in a crappy manner, before the bowl game. Any bowl game was important to our program at that point in time.

I have no doubt that if we took a flyer on his worthless hide, if a G5 decided he was no longer toxic, he’d do the same thing to us again. There is no longer a Class B in the UIL, but I want him to keep looking.

3 Likes

Oops, insert P5 for G5.

To keep their so called Baylor Baptist “pure image” & to keep the truth from being exposed. Lots going on long before Art Briles came to BU.

3 Likes

Lol whatever you obviously have an agenda

2 Likes

You’re being sarcastic yet you’re the one who equates a settlement as guilt so I don’t understand your basis for sarcasm.

4 Likes

All this with just the mention of him, could you imagine if it ever got serious. I, nor anyone here knows what really happened @BU but sure was a lot of smoke to not be a fire. What I DO know about Briles is that he walked out on his and our team on the eve of the Texas Bowl and took everything but the kitchen sink and flat out lied about it. Far be it for me to judge anyone and we’re a country of second chances but it’d seem to be a tough sell to earn the trust of Coog Nation

2 Likes

What we know for sure is that the Baylor scandal took place while Briles was head coach. As the leader he was accountable. It was shameful. End of story.

3 Likes

Yes, end of (the Baylor) story.

WOW, all of the Baylor BOR talking points. All of which were lies from the beginning and part of the major coverup by the Baylor Administration. How about talking about the current lawsuit of 10 women that go way back before Art Briles arrived on campus. How about talking about the depositions and the information that has come out. This was a systematic coverup for 20 plus years by the Baylor administration and they laid all of it at the feet of the football team. Even the so called finding of fact has been dispelled as BS by the testimony of BOR members that were disposed. Three of the BOR leadership members went to Philly to work out what they wanted in that report, it was BS when it was presented and still is. As far as your 52 rapes, really, once again put out by the BOR in response to a lawsuit filed against them. None of it was true and still isn’t.

It is very obvious by the talking points you are pushing as fact, that you work for the Baylor Administration in some form or another. Shame on you and those involved in this, your time will come when you and those that ruined so many lives, especially the young women that your folks hurt, will answer for it.

4 Likes

Thanks to all for the discussion of Briles/Baylor/Rapes of which I continue to say I am ignorant of but have done a little reading, fwiw. I do not trust anybody’s words on things like these because people simply lie and no longer seem to have concern of whom they harm with their words.

I found this article educational but would not have confidence to judge without a court of law on the alleged rapes and appropriateness of the firing of HC Art Briles which should be a separate legal case: Three Baylor regents fire back at Briles, alleging he knew about wrongdoing by football players

I find the greater picture illustrated by the graph "… database of 2014 campus safety data" at the end of the article worth looking at and the timeline above to be important.

The timeline entries, as stated therein, indicate to me, a problem wherein legal prosecution of a crime is not the subject, rather individuals filing suit against Baylor is listed. Typically, such civil suits goal is to for financial gain from the outcome.

Where is the local District Attorney who should be prosecuting the crimes? The University does not have responsibility for crimes not committed on campus but has the moral obligation to see that bad students are removed and the campus is safe.

The HC cannot be held responsible for the actions of his players except to make decisions to rid the team of "bad actors" to the extent of impartial evidence/facts.

Every individual is responsible for his actions and, aren’t they pretty much all responsible, legal adults? Regardless, rape is a crime and I believe the HC and all other staff is responsible to report potential/reported crimes and let the law handle the legal part.

Coaches do have the option to remove the athlete for the benefit of the program and the university can remove the same student from its rolls within its charter and the law. The risk in so doing of course in this litigious day is potential financial loss and harm to reputation.

The university can fire the HC and any of its employees which has no intrinsic legal effect on the employee’s innocence nor guilt in the eyes of the law. The fired employees do have recourse of lawsuit against the university firing and clauses of contracts. If law was broken by any employee, the university is responsible for reporting this to legal authorities.

It seems that law enforcement and prosecution have failed and employees and the university have failed in their duties.

If not reported and pursued through legal authorities, I find it also a dereliction of civil duty that the alleged victims and even people who knew of the alleged events as neglecting and maybe being complicit in the acts and/or their cover up. Simply reporting to a university, coaches, or filing lawsuits implies greed and/or failure to take the crime seriously.

Until the courts have handled these matters as individual and to the legal extent, holistically, anything said is no more than hearsay and possibly the under-prosecuted crimes of defamation of character/slander.

We have to do what we feel proper to force due diligence to get the legal part done. Any other discussion is only that, opinion and sharing and matters not to the legalities and ethics.

That said, each of us has a right to an opinion but to go ad-hominem with those who disagree is improper at best.

Twenty plus years of it. Would not have mattered who the coach was, when the coverup broke on what the Baylor administration had been doing, whoever the coach was, was going to get the blame.

4 Likes

Good response, thank you.

Actually it started long before Art Briles showed up on campus. That has come out in depositions in the latest lawsuit.

2 Likes

I appreciate Class of 1981’s well thought out response AND his comment that we should consider all opinions. I’ve said many times before, it doesn’t make you a bad Coog to question the norm or God forbid, to disagree with the pack of shared mind opinions.

1 Like

Thanks, Bear but I didn’t complete why I put that in there. I am 61 now and am trying to share my experience and the lessons of patience, forgiveness, let those things go that you cannot control where possible anyway.

Accusations show on page 1 but exoneration appears on the back page.

3 Likes

Right there with you. At age 64 my opinion is different on some things than it was earlier in life.

2 Likes