As a WVU fan I have no bias here

It’s a dated idea from when the world was a much bigger place

Close your eyes to the fact that schools around the country don’t need to play in Houston to recruit here. Obviously California is going to be the PAC’s best recruiting ground but recruiting is not a selling point to another conference.

I’ve been saying this for the longest time! Anybody that says otherwise is either lack the ability to think critically or simply lying to himself! Why would the PAC 12 prefer to add Tech, Baylor, of TCU over UH when none of those schools would capture the Houston market for the PAC 12? The only reason why UH was left out of the Big12 at all in the first place was because of the fear by those Texas schools (As well as those out-of-state schools) had that UH would overtake them in football and other sports! UH is somewhat less of a threat to UT and OU, but they too have mentioned that a UH team that has a Power5 backing would post a significant threat to their easy annual conference title winnings if it were allowed to compete against them as conference mates.

People have trouble understanding UH’s potential because throughout most of its history it was a school that was kept under wraps by UT, A&M, and other Texas schools, such as Baylor, Tech, and TCU and was never allowed to flex its muscles. UH is like a caged tiger that people spit at and make fun of, but never allowed out to fend for itself! However, once it is let out of the cage and allowed to compete in the big stage with the big boys as a Power5 member they would all be in for a rude awakening! You can’t judge a school’s status and potential when it has found itself being forced into an unfortunate circumstance of being placed among the G5’s. The only way to gauge what UH would bring to a Power5 conference is to look carefully at its TV markets, the level of success it has achieved despite being a G5, and the fan following and city support for the school. Once you take those criteria into consideration you can then extrapolate what UH’s potential would be if given that Power5 status and allowed to compete with the big boys on a level playing field. Otherwise, people who claimed that the TT’s, Baylor’s, Kansas State’s, TCU’s of the world would be the preferred choices of the PAC 12 over UH are either lying through their teeth because they have an ulterior motive to keep UH down or they simply failed to look at things in a logical, non-biased way by looking at the overall picture and not simply going by which school is a current Power5 and which isn’t.

I think if the PAC 12 bigwigs take a logical, facts-based approach in making their decision they would all agree UH is the strongest candidate by far over all these Big12 leftovers and the only one that could match UH in appeals is Kansas. Just look at what these schools have done as Power5 members in comparison to what UH has done as a non-Power5 member. Multiply what UH has achieved as a G5 by 5 you would then see the real potential of what UH would be as a Power5 member!

3 Likes

I was pointing out that getting one player from Houston every other year is not exactly winning the recruiting wars in Houston.

UH was in a power position in the SWC. It did win and win big. That is the reason it was left out. Texas has never played fair with anyone.

5 Likes

Exactly! Even UT and OU bigwigs and coaches have expressed their concerns that if UH were given that Power5 status and money their schools would be looking at an absolute war with UH just to win conference titles!

1 Like

It is true, the Cougars are now a much better option than any B12 leftovers.

2 Likes

I like the cut of your jib WV Fan. Welcome to the board. We’re all too used to to other fans coming on here with small minded and/or dated UH hate. Your take is well received

6 Likes

Depends on your definition of winning the recruiting wars the PAC is reaching in and pulling out guys they want they aren’t filling up their rosters but they getting guys we would want.

In any relationship you win some and you lose some. But make no mistake the win for UH would be enormous and out-do any losses UH could ever encountered! In return, PAC 12 would get that Texas market that it sorely needs!

I like and appreciate your thinking. But it will be a long shot for many reasons.

I still think we’ll be staying in an expanded AAC with as many Big 12 and BYU universities being added. It makes the most sense regionally and eventually the Big 12 universities will learn to grow and love the universities in the AAC when they finally realize it is their best option. Maybe KU will end up in the B1G, maybe ya’ll will end up in the ACC, but their are plenty that an invite to a top conference will not come easy.

WV will end up in the AAC unless espn wants them in the ACC

The best thing that has happen for UH is UT and OU going to the SEC.

6 Likes

In my memory we’ve played Arizona, Washington St. UCLA, Oregon and I think we have Utah and Colorado scheduled. We’ve played Cal and USC not that long ago.

I can’t think of a game between TT, TCU or Baylor against any PAC team but maybe my memory is bad.

WVU will land in the AAC eventually. Houston is trying to get a fair shot as something other than a National poaching zone. Too much talent here for them to take a chance at putting a Power label on us. SWC proved that.

I guess that depends on how you define good recruiting. A bunch of lower stars (quantity) or top 100 players (quality).

Since 2010 season
UH - UCLA, UCLA, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona, Washington St
Tech - AzSt (bowl), Az St, AzSt, Arizona
TCU - Oregon St, Oregon (bowl), Stanford (bowl), California (bowl), California (this season)
Baylor - Washington (bowl), UCLA (bowl) (Duke is really the only P5 team they scheduled in that period, they didn’t go for tough games OOC)

Bowls aren’t scheduled.

My point was mutual interest in scheduling games. But thanks for the research.

4 Likes

Look at the TV ratings for our games with PAC 12 schools. Compare those TV ratings to the ratings those schools received playing other PAC 12 schools. If we added more eyeballs than what they were getting playing other conference mates we have a chance. If not…

The data is out there.

2 Likes

What are the numbers?

I know the UCLA game at the Rob was one of the highest attended games there.